Council tax benefit overpayment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4386 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm hoping someone can help me as I'm not sure what to do. I receive council tax benefit so do not have to pay council tax, but on the 15/11/11 I received a bill of £17 as they had overpaid me because I was moving at the time and they don't pay council tax on 2 properties.

It's my own fault, but as I don't pay council tax I didn't pay this bill. Then yesterday I had a hand delivered letter from the bailiffs saying they will be coming back tomorrow to seize my possessions unless I pay £278 including costs for removal.

I've received no other letters from the council or the bailiffs other than these 2.

I don't mind paying the £17 but the council say they can't do anything as it's been passed to the bailiffs.

Could anyone help me please?

If I remember correctly, if you pay the council directly the £17 plus the summons and liability order costs, the council will have to end all recovery action. Not too sure if the Baliffs can still collect their inflated costs once you've made full and final settlement, someone else may be able to advise you on that.

If you do intend to challenge the validity of the costs and recovery, you'll need to establish when the Reminder Notice(s), Summons and Liability Order was issued, and what correspondence address they hold for you and when it was updated. You'll probably be able to get the info over the phone but probably best to get it in writing.