Advice Needed for Husband and Wife DLA & Carers Allowance

Paige12
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4414 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thankyou for that Mikey. :-)

What I'm thinking of doing is claiming CA for hubby and in order to qualify for the SDP, he can stop claiming CA for me.

I would then get IS switched over into my name. Because of the nature of his illness he is more likely to stay on DLA at high rate (or personal independance allowance from next year) than me (I am claiming mid-rate), so it might make sense to get everything in order now with me as IS main claimant and me getting CA for him?

Thats fine, you can put in a claim for you husband for CA, but before that CA goes into payment iro of him, HE is entitled to single rate SDP, so get them to send you out a form now an IS10, take no prisoners you will be entitleted to it and SDP can be paid right up untill your CA is awarded, which may not be put into payment untill 8 weeks or so after you first claim.. Maybe more.

And if his DLA was backdated to SDP should be awarded from that date as well, along with the EDP

When you clam for CA is put into payment, then he can cease caring for you, he will get a run on for eight weeks and a date will be given when his I.S will close

AS soon as he has received the last CA payment iro of you then the next day your SDP entitlement will kick in :) So chase that up as well another IS 10 form...

The day after his I.S closes you can make your claim to IS, this should be processed well in time for your next payment..

Or you can make an advance claim to start the day after his claim ends

Thankyou Mickey. That's great.

I think I know now what I'm doing. I'll get on to them asap.

Just one more thing now I'm not sure about. We were getting £41.10 up until now which was called 'disability premium' for me. Are we still entitled to this or does this stop when SDP kicks in?

that couples DP you are still entitled to this,

go on the Gov Site Benefit rates

you should get

Couple PA £105.05 plus couple DP £41.10, Couple EDP £20.25., Single SDP £55.30, Carers Premium £31.00 thats the total I.S due to you

then take away the CA paid to you as its classed as an Income

so £75.55 more then you should be getting now :)

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE

Thankyou Mickey and Nystagmite. I'm very grateful for all your help as I couldn't have made sense of any of it on my own. I will get on to IS and get the ball rolling.

I'll keep this thread updated with how I get on in case it will help someone else.

Thanks again. It's a big relief to be contacting IS now armed with all the info I need. :-)

yes its always nice to hear how you get on,

and I have put the figures on my last post for you :)

Thanks Mikey. That's great to get all the figures. I really appreciate you helping like this. I'll post up here next week and hopefully all will go smoothly. Fingers Crossed. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update on my progress with this.

We've had a battle to get IS to send out an IS10 form. We requested it four times but it never came and they said they had posted it out on different occassions and it must've got lost in the post. We've never had any post go missing here.

Anyway, after more phone calls eventually a form came but it wasn't an IS10 but a form for claiming Income Support. :|

After yet more phone calls to them we finally got the IS10 and have sent it back via recorded delivery yesterday so it's a matter of waiting to see if they agree to backdate to January when my husband's dla claim started.

I have the carers allowance form here but am not going to submit that until we have husbands backdated SDP sorted out otherwise I think it would just confuse them. Once we have his SDP then I'll send in the CA form for me and also request an IS10 form again, this time for me. CA people said to just include a note explaining that we wanted to swap over from husband caring for me to me caring for him. Then we'll have to notify IS of the same and get the claim changed over into my name.

It's been a bit of a struggle so far but we're getting there. :-)

Well done for getting this far :) Phew

You should have the SDP backdated to January there is no reason at all why you cant so dont take no for an answer, its tiresome making the phonecalls but you will get there in the end.

Then as you have stated you can then swap the claim over.. It will mean closing one I.S claim and then making a new one but it can be done..

Thanks Mikey. At least the form has gone in and because it's recorded they can't say they didn't get it. Hopefully that's the hard part over with and they'll backdate.

I don't think there will be too much hassle in getting carers to change one ca claim to another as they seem easier to deal with and sent the ca form out the next day after one phone call . . . . . .trying to convince IS that we want to close one application and have the other start the next day might be a tougher nut to crack though. lol

Will keep thread updated. Thanks again. :-)

according to my recollection, and assuming you are both working age, you would be better off if neither of you claimed carers allowance for the other

if somebody claims carers allowance for you, they gain carers premium, but you lose the severe disability premium

the SDP is worth more than the CP, so you are better off if neither of you claim CA

have you tried using https://www.turn2us.entitledto.co.uk/ to work out effect of CA claims

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.