Over paid on council tax benefit

sugg1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4451 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

my husband had a call today from the council office to say that he had over paid on his council tax benefit and it was a mistake on there side.

what they had done was take his incap benefit long term at £94 a week instead of the £24 he was actully paid and worked out his council tax benefit on the £94.

They only realised their mistake when hubby was transfered to ESA and saw the amount he was actully paid.

anyway they said they would send out the cheque for the over payment ,but said they could only back date it for the last year and not the rest of the years the mistake was made is this correct ?

This doesn't sound right, maybe it's an individual LA thing, but when I had been over paid housing benefit & council tax benefit, for 2 years, I had also been underpaid some of the months when I hadn't received sick pay sometimes, & they worked it all out fairly when it came to sorting it. I would ask to speak to someone higher up...

I think when there was a lot of people overpaying a couple of years ago as property had been put in wrong band it said council tax overpayments could only be refunded back 6 years.

if that is the case it shouldn't make a difference how the overpayment occurred it should go back that long if needed.

my husband had a call today from the council office to say that he had over paid on his council tax benefit and it was a mistake on there side.

what they had done was take his incap benefit long term at £94 a week instead of the £24 he was actully paid and worked out his council tax benefit on the £94.

They only realised their mistake when hubby was transfered to ESA and saw the amount he was actully paid.

anyway they said they would send out the cheque for the over payment ,but said they could only back date it for the last year and not the rest of the years the mistake was made is this correct ?

why was he not paid full Incapacity Benefit?

something not right here :(

why was he not paid full Incapacity Benefit?

something not right here

He was medically retired from the armed forces so has a pension which they class as a income so reduce his incap benefit /esa by a certain amount so thats why he only gets £24 which is going down to £21 on esa