Waiting for ESA results

Hungryhamster
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4457 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi again forum, still waiting on my results from the medical (exactly two weeks ago today) but I have a couple of worries that I thought I'd ask here about as there are a lot of knowledgeable people. And how long does a response normally take?

It's about if I fail this first part and appeal:

1) I receive low rate DLA (mobility I believe as I can't go to unknown places by myself). If I fail will this be stopped until after an appeal? It has been awarded until some time in 2013 (I know about DLA planning to to be replaced with PIP).

2) If I end up getting to a tribunal and fail (I think five minutes with me would prevent that happening :|) would I be expected to repay ESA I'd been receiving since the appeal?

3)And further to that, would I be expected to pay back any ESA if I fall at this initial point? I.E whatever I received between the medical and when I get the reply. Obviously I'd be appealing, but I would want to be prepared so I wouldn't panic if I saw such a demand.

And maybe to help my nerves- has anyone had positive experiences with ATOS? The nurse/Dr seemed genuine enough at the time, and even downplaying my social interaction problems from 15 to 9 last night I worked out 18 points on the descriptors.

Not too sure about DLA, but the answer to both question 2 and 3 is no, you won't be expected to repay any ESA you've received in either case. You do need to continue sending med certs while waiting for your appeal to be heard.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Not too sure about DLA, but the answer to both question 2 and 3 is no, you won't be expected to repay any ESA you've received in either case. You do need to continue sending med certs while waiting for your appeal to be heard.

Thanks, I was expecting that was the case as the assessment rate= JSA rates, but as I think I've said before I do always worry (and am a bit paranoid :( )

DLA and ESA are separate, you will still carry on getting DLA

Oh ok, I was just worried as I thought I'd seen such a thing be mentioned before when I lurked on here.

But that might have been ATOS doing a DLA medical. I've read so much that combined with my memory it all tends to mix together :p

Some people do find that failing an ESA medical means their DLA is reviewed. Although, this really shouldn't happen - as both benefits are awarded for different reasons.

I'd heard of this happening, which is why I backed off from answering this question. I agree with you - it's not obvious to me that one's entitlement (or lack thereof) to ESA should have any bearing on a DLA claim.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I don't believe it. I had a brown envelope today, and panicked I opened it.

We have looked at your claim again following a recent change.

From 16th September 2011 your ESA will be £113.90 a week.

This is because of a change in rates of social security benefits.

You meet the eligibility criteria for the support group. This means you are not required to take part in any work related activity although you can volunteer by contacting a personal advisor

There is the £67.50+ £32.35 but there's also a "disability income guarantee of £14.05 that I've never heard of.

It's just from the DWP, it doesn't mention points or have a medical report, will that come later?

I just don't know how to feel, I'm just so confused, it doesn't seem real :)

Thank you.

I suddenly realize why I feel weird- I actually feel a little bit guilty. I feel guilty that I managed to 'pass' the first time, while others who may not have the same level of emotional support (my parents) have to face up to appeals and incorrect medicals. I also feel happy, yet also worried that maybe somehow it's a mistake.

Even when I go beyond what I thought was the best possible outcome (WRAG) I still worry :oops:

I had similar results when I was changed from IB. I must get a copy of my forms and reasons I got it for future reference.

With all the storied I had heard I was expecting to lose it and was ready to claim carers allowance for wife to keep my NI up to date. In the end I was also put on the support group. I presume the problems will all arise again with universal credit if not before.

It seems obvious to me, as well as destroying the NHS the ConDems are after destroying the welfare state and are intent on getting that what was on panorama the other day over here to.

Edited by count orlok

I appealed against my "rejection" Monday 6th feb. They received it on Tuesday 14th? Assured a payment today (17th). No payment no phone call as promised 3 hours later. Rung again, complained, promised phone call 1 hour later.....never came. Sorry for jumping this thread but....the DWP either lie or are just useless at their jobs. By the way I'm on crutches!!!I have to say I now wish to leave this country and live anywhere that does not involve the british government that pays for foreign nationals and not its own people...and NO I am not racist!

DWP staff are not generally liars - what reason would they have to lie? I mean, sure, they have targets to meet but one of them is not "payments delayed to claimants". Actually, staff who miss callbacks generally face stern words from their supervisors. That's what you should do next if your callback doesn't materialise - explain that two callbacks have been missed already and you would like a supervisor to escalate the matter for you. As to being bad at their jobs, well, some are, I suppose - it's a huge organisation. Mainly, though, what they are is incredibly busy. The system itself is what's broken. The staff are just regular Joes and Janes like you and I.

Rules for foreign nationals claiming benefits are complex, and emphatically do not favour them over British people. Quite the opposite, in most cases.

Quick question after I suddenly noticed something- the letter I recieved was dated the 15th Feb, and the 16th was when I got my last payment (Thursday's are the day I recieve ESA payments) however it was the normal assessment rate. And today when I checked online there had yet to be the backpayment- does it just take a few days for administration reasons? I tried searching, but no one anywhere actually seemed to talk about how long backpayments take to recieve >:( I don't want to work myself up...again. It says the arrears are due from 16th September 2011 to 16th Feb 2012.

Also- there was an appeals leaflet in the envelope- that's just something put in every envelope right?

And- I live with parents (this was on my details) and living with parents shouldn't impact on my ESA right (our finances are completely seperate). Now I've managed to get into the support group, out come the worries that something else might go wrong :/ And my next therapy appointment isn't until May...

It does take a little while - the Decision Makers send the decision to the processing team who actually input it on the system. When this is done, the computer will automatically release your arrears payments and increase your regular payment. A couple of weeks wouldn't be that unusual. The appeals leaflet is pretty standard.

Living with your parents won't affect your payments unless you qualify for the Severe Disability Premium component of ESA. Do you receive middle or higher rate care DLA?

`

It does take a little while - the Decision Makers send the decision to the processing team who actually input it on the system. When this is done, the computer will automatically release your arrears payments and increase your regular payment. A couple of weeks wouldn't be that unusual. The appeals leaflet is pretty standard.

Living with your parents won't affect your payments unless you qualify for the Severe Disability Premium component of ESA. Do you receive middle or higher rate care DLA?

No I just recieve low rate mobility DLA due to my problems with being in/getting to unknown places and help due to anxiety in such places/being out.

OK, so you won't qualify for the SDP, and living with your parents won't affect your ESA.

OK, so you won't qualify for the SDP, and living with your parents won't affect your ESA.

Oh good, as I've already said being my slightly worried/paranoid self, having got into the support group, I was thinking "that was too easy to be true" and thinking something else might go wrong :/

I was even starting to get worked up about the back payment. I really can't do myself any favours can I...? :/