Tax credits investigating living together - please help

folle
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3727 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I have got as much as I can together! But sat took a turn for the worst and tried to take my own life so I now have mental health services involved and they will are coming to see me as today and will support me ! Theyare even writing a letter when my claim goes in to say what this has done to me ie my health! Am so worried but thanx for your advice xx

Folle what are you like ey! Well, it's good that they have now got involved, well, not good but you know what I mean. And I am glad they are going to support you. Nothing is worth taking your life for, certainly not the government! That would suit them too fine! x

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx for that I just felt so desparate thinking about if they dod not believe me they may well prosecute me !but now the mental health team are involved ! They think whatever they do due to my mental state it won't be court as I would not be able to take it I mau be wrong! Thanx for all your help xx

I am now under a psychiatric team ! Am so worried as I don't think that my ex they will believe because all I have is letters ! If they don't believe me and go back all those years then do u think I would go to prison so scared ! :(

Hello again. I'm pleased you've got professional help. And it's only two days until you see the CAG now, isn't it?

Why wouldn't your ex believe you? From memory, isn't it his paperwork that doesn't stack up to prove where he was?

We've been through the prison thing and Erika had some reassuring words for you. I posted this further up the page.

'But don't forget what our guru Erika said in post #19, prosecution is very rare.'

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi I really think u should contact MH team re feeling anxious and worried! It's good that your recieving help however u will still have to sort the tax credit stuff out as to b honest they prob won't take into consideration how your feeling now as they will still want their money back! Are the MH team offering any practical support at all or have they just advised about CAB?

X

hi thanx for your advice , i have been to c ab and they have written a letter on my behalf, just been told to send it off with all i have and wait there reply , the cab man reckons the next letter ill be a reply of overpayment and then i take that letter into cab and they will advise me. he put m mind at rest about prison x

does other people that the next letter back will be money wanting to be paid back and if they do will they let me pay it back in stages or could it still go don the criminal route ?

am still feeling very anxious ,but the cab think that they will prob send a letter for an overpyment and then told me to go back , my mental health team have been fab , does anyone have ang good advice , am still at my wits end but the end of the day what can i do i have 3 letters to say where he has been living and it is up to the hmrc to make up there minds , not really i can do , i keep writing on here becuse it is an out let , anyone have a any good advice

Edited by folle

Hi there, that's good you've been to cab and sounds like your getting good support! All u can do is give them wot u have and if you don't have the proof of your ex's add then not much you can do about it, it's really up to them to believe you. They basically want their money back and when you know how much it is then you can contact overpayments dept!

I was told that my overpayment could not be adjusted to what my entitlement would have been if I had made a joint claim, however, having spoken to a different compliance officer I have since been told that they can do this although still waiting for confirmation in writing! I was told they believed I should have made a joint claim and that I owe them money although I was not charged a penalty!

I'm not saying it will b the same for you as the situations will b different but just trying to offer some reassurance ! After I sent in all my info I heard back within 4 weeks!

X

Hi maryja thanx for that , was nice of u to ansa ! God I don't think I can wait 4 wks will be swinging! I could not cope with it ! Why did they not charge you an overpayment ! Do u think that is what my reply will bw ! Cab man thought that ! Do they give u time to pay it back ! I can only give them what I have ! I realise they don't take many people to court the cab advised me that ! Am sending all my stuff in on monday x

Hi, I'm not exactly sure how they work out the consequences although I was told that if at anypoimt in the future they felt I had given them wrong info on another occasion (the first being them saying I should have made joint and not single claim) then they could impose a penalty on top of any overpayment!

The reasons stated for them not believing my claim should have been a single claim was

ex bank account at my address

He applied for a credit card

and his p60s were listed at my address

that together with them being unable to locate ex at any other add, ie not being on electrol roll led them to conclusion that he must have been living with me and therefore asked me to provide proof of his address which I could not as he had no tenancy agreement or utility bills etc!

I think if it's a case of where they think you should have made a joint claim then they want their money back and it's unfortunate if your not in the position to offer them documents which goes in your favour to prove his address!

X

It is my birthday today anf feel **** ! Have to sit around with the family take my mind off things ! Send stuff off monday and then see what happens part of me feels confident but the other half of me does not I have been reassured by so many people if they don't believe my ex letters they will go civily ! Any more reassurance guys ! Anyone else in this boat !

Hello folle, happy birthday.

I can't tell what HMRC would do because I don't know. I think you've done all you can for now and that answers are on your thread.

I think you'll be OK, but nobody here can guess unfortunately. It's good that you have your family and others to support you.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanx hb I am still a nervous wreck I thought the hmrc dealt with things civily I hope they do as it will finish me off ! I was very nervous round my family ! They know I had a breakdown but don't know why I am not going to worry them until I know the facts ! I am just hoping enrika is correct and they normally take the civil route x

Good luck Folle keep us updated.

I had to call them this morning because I got a letter on Saturday so I rang bang on 8.00 am to be told they are only taking messages and will call me back this week some time !!!!

Thanx for that I wull keep u updated! Is yours the same of thing! It is a stupid time in the morning and I can't slEeep ! This thing has taken over my life and I have a 12 year old daughter and it does not seem fair to her ! I feel like going to sleep and not waking up ! So stressed! X

Yes Folle it is.

Where are you up to now with it all?

I cant stop crying, I can't eat, I feel like a bad mum to my kids and I am scared I will be locked up.

I just want to tell them to take me off the system and I will claim when I have my own place and my own bills etc.:sad:

hi there, i have the same problem, please do not stress too much about it, i got the letter at the weekend, rang them this morning, they said they will call me back, they are that busy with lots of these!

i told the chap - he was actually quite nice, that i did need to change my claim, he said thats fine, he could do that, he is rining me back in a minute as his computer went down,i will update when he calls back.

to be honest, researching this thing on the internet, and the fact that they have such a high volume of this sort of thing - they will not prosecute, they will just get the money back off you - unless you have been making up children and such like i really think that if you are honest at the earliest point they will be ok.