No show iuc what will happen?

Afraid11
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2701 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My friend was due to go in for a iuc today and hasnt bothered to show up. What Will happen to her now. Its regarding housing benefit and council tax benefit while on maternity leave from her job working for another council. She admitted to me while she worked full time she claimed hb etc but said she sent letters to them declaring her changes but they never stopped claims? She was due to go last week but cancelled to get legal advice but hasnt turn't up to the 1 today.

It's impossible to day what will happen next. What happens depends on what evidence they have against her.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Hello again. I found this on advicenow.org. It might half answer your question.

Do I have to go to the interview?

You don’t have to go to the interview. But you should think about whether you would be better off going, or trying to sort it out another way. Every situation is different and there are different views on what is the best thing to do.

Some advisers say that if you can't get an expert in benefit fraud to go with you, it is better not to go rather than go on your own. This is because you may say things that might incriminate you. If you don't go to the interview, and the fraud section doesn't have enough information to decide if you committed fraud, it could mean that they have to drop the case against you.

On the other hand, the DWP and the council say that it’s in your best interests to attend, and some other advisers agree. It gives you a chance to find out what they think happened and to explain your side of the story. If the fraud section feels that it has enough evidence it may just take you to court anyway, without an interview, and you will have missed out on an opportunity to stop things going further.

Your decision may depend on things like whether you can get an adviser or solicitor to go with you, how strong the case against you is, and if you feel you could deal with the interview confidently on your own.

Get advice beforehand about whether or not to go and how this could affect your case. If you decide not to go you should write to them to explain your reasons, for example, because you can't get someone to represent you.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thats great thanks HoneyB hope she's knows what she is doing then. She told me she got advice and was told as she has evidence she has nothing to worry about? I'M not sure about that. Thank you for your reply.

Hello again.

Have a read around the interweb, which is what I just did. There are plenty of websites about IUCs and whether you have to attend. They spell out the various options the council have if you don't turn up and explain what's happened.

My best, HB

Thank you. What I'm thinking is if she's said she has evidence that she did her side of things etc why not show up and prove your innocence hence why i think she's not telling me everything. Anyway thanks so much for your input. Think I'll have a read about and give her a call. Kind regards.

it is possible that following a 'no show' without contacting them that her benefits will be suspended and she will be given another appointment to attend. HOWEVER (and I put it in big writing deliberately !) it is also possible that if the evidence that they have goes back a long way and suggests that there is a large overpayment that they may contact the police and ask them to arrest her.

No one can say what will happen.

Update. My mate hasn't bothered to call them ring them not even wrote them a letter. I've passed on the advice but she's sweeping it all under the carpet in hope it all goes away. I told her it wont. I know she must be scared but this isnt the way forward.

Update. My mate hasn't bothered to call them ring them not even wrote them a letter. I've passed on the advice but she's sweeping it all under the carpet in hope it all goes away. I told her it wont. I know she must be scared but this isnt the way forward.

Hello again.

Yes, you're right, it's unlikely to go away. I know how you feel and I would be the same, but there's only so much you can do. Is there any chance you could get her to have a look at the forum do you think?

My best, HB

Thanks HoneyBee It's worth a try but i think she'll say she Will but won't bother. We don't live close regularly talk on phone. As she works for another council and has been on maternity she now thinks she's lost her job also but at the same time saying that she has no intention of returning anyway. Personally i believe she's just saying that because she knows she's done wrong. I've tried explaining to her all that I've read on here plus my own experience but she just says I'll sort it tomorrow but never does as she never mentions it again. Avoids all questions etc I'm worried for her 3kids as she is only on her mat pay which has reduced to half. She also told me her working tax credit has been stopped as they believe her claim is false. I think my hands are tied she's not listening. Thanks so much for listening to me rant on. This place is a blessing at times. :-) :-)

Thank you. What I'm thinking is if she's said she has evidence that she did her side of things etc why not show up and prove your innocence hence why i think she's not telling me everything. Anyway thanks so much for your input. Think I'll have a read about and give her a call. Kind regards.

There is no such thing as 'proving your innocence'. You are innocent until proven guilty.

My attitude given the circumstances of the OP's friend is to force the Council's hand and let them make the first move. I would never volunteer any information one way or another and certainly would not volunteer a taped interview under caution without first knowing what the evidence against me was. If they want to come and arrest me, fine, much better than going voluntarily. When under arrest you have more rights. And you still have the right to say nothing.

Get to see the evidence first before making comments.

• 4 years later...

Hey.... My friend didn't attend, she first went court for benefits fraud after this event she got community service but only showed up once. Then she was arrested again as she didn't return to do her community service and was imprisoned for six weeks. Since then she hasn't returned to work and tbh has been on a downward spiral. Drugs, social services regarding kids etc.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2701 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks