Employment Appeal Tribunal - Anyone Recommend a Solicitor

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4573 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As you know I lost an ET case and face a huge costs demand - the Judge referred it to County Court for assessment.

I want to explore the possibility of an appeal to the EAT.

Because of where I live I cannot be referred for Pro Bono or to the FRU. None of the CAB's within 50 miles have referral agreements. I approached some further afield who do have arrangements but they won't help me as I don't live in their area.

I need to take some advice and wonder if anyone can recommend a firm with experience of EAT appeals. London would be okay geographically. I don't want to make a bad situation worse by going it alone.

Thanks

Scott

Hi Scott

I think you are running out of time, you have 42 days to appeal from the date of the written judgement.

You do not need a solicitor for lodging an appeal to the EAT as this can be done online.

As you know you can only appeal on a `point of Law` so I will explain the procesure as follows.

[1] You lodge an appeal `on line` at this stage you are appealing to appeal, if that makes sense, as you are not a lawyer therefore you are not to know what point of law you are appealing against.

[2] The appeal is then looked at by a judge to identify any error of Law, this process is referred to as the `Sift` process.

[3] If at the sift process your appeal application is rejected then DO NOT worry.

[4] Once Your appeal is rejected at the `Sift` process then all you do is write to the EAT stating that you are dissatisfied with the rejection of your application and request an oral hearing under the 3.10 rule.

[5] You will then be allowed a hearing at the EAT where you will also be granted free counsel representation under the `Elaas` scheme where a barrister will look at your appeal and amend accordingly.

All the above will be explained to you by the EAT but you must lodge an appeal ASAP regardless or you will run out of time.

Good luck

Many thanks for the help

One more thing though - is a large costs award grounds for appeal itself? Or must it be something else?

I don't want to mess up and face more costs I can't pay.

Scott

You wont mess up, as soon as you put in an appeal you are entitled to free representation at the EAT. ......JUST DO IT before you run out of time.

Good luck

Hello madari. I had a faint recollection of that, but I looked on a couple of websites and they mentioned fees. Happy to be proved wrong though.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum