Gas engineer been today, now boiler leaking gas and Transco advise unsafe to use

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4558 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

today we had an engineer out to fix an intermittent boiler issue.

this evening we could smell gas so we called Transco and they advised the boiler is leaking and we can't use it.

i'm a housing tenant and the association arrange repairs. i can't speak to them until 830 tomorrow morning. we have a very young child in the house and are concerned as it will inevitably get cold tonight. its already cold now in fact.

would i be mitigating my losses if i called out an out of hours engineer to fix the boiler? or would a travel lodge be deemed more appropriate?

thanks, kris

Hi kp

What Housing Association?

Have you checked your Housing Associations Website as they should have and Out of Hours number for Repairs

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

i just spoke to them to be told the parts have been ordered and they'll contact me when they arrive. after explaining the gravity of the situation to them they told me "these things happen" and it could just be a coincidence! anyway, they're sending some portable heaters today and the services manager is going to find out what the engineer did and what parts have been ordered.

what kind of resolution can i reasonably expect? sameday repair of the boiler?

we have a 7 week old baby. you know how good babys are for leverage.

ok so after much to-ing and fro-ing today i'm at a bit of a stalemate. the housing association are saying that they will diagnose the leak when they replace the parts they have already ordered. they are also saying the new parts should fix the leak, so they are contradicting themselves.

my main argument with them is that nobody has been to diagnose the leak in the boiler. indeed an engineer from the housing association did come but after learning that parts have been ordered for a different fault, he refused to look at the boiler and left.

i spoke to environmenth health this afternoon and gave them all the details and highlighted my main concern was that they won't come and diagnose the faulty boiler. they will speak to the housing association but it's easy to get lost in the translation of faulty boiler + parts ordered.

is there anything i can do to force their hand? i don't want to wait 3 days for them to diagnose the leak, the another 3 days for more parts to arrive.

(the parts they have ordered are a spark electrode and a pilot assembly, i assume to resolve a weak spark/flame)

element in immersion replaced, no hot water, next tuesday pencilled in for new tank

boiler parts replaced today. 90 mins later- smell of gas. seems like i was right to demand a separate diagnosis after all.

is there anything i can do? we can go without central heating for a while, but hot water is a bit more of a necessity. can i make any demands to the housing association?

To be honest they seem to be working quickly as it is and I understand you have a baby. You have to remember this time of year, temp drops, heaters go on and bang a lot fo problems at same time even though boilers checked yearly. For instance even in coldest weather they only have to provide little electric heaters that are no bleeping use, so be polite and patient and hopefully will be resolved in a day or two. You cannot expect faster than that adn would not get refunded for your own engineer.

There is no harm ringing and checking that the repair is being done within the correct time scale re the housing associations requirements.

ps. Ask for more than the one heater they have to give you, I got two when mine went down though have to say unless it is sat by your feet they are no use. I went out and bought a cheap electric radiator that worked for us till fixed, but I do remember they told me that they work as quick as they can and as frustrating as it is we cant ask for more than that as in demanding.

Heres hoping you are sorted soon.

Edited by watchinginvestigation2011

Hi

I find it hard to believe that a Housing Association does not have an emergency out of hour repairs contact number.

could you please say which housing association?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

They all have emergency numbers, but I though op was waiting till the re diagnose the gas leak and for the parts as in they are already sorting it.

I woudl imagine the leak is secure/sealed now till repaired :)

Once they have given heater and have job on the go, no point ringing emergency number as they wont act any quicker.

I say again heres hoping op is warmer soon xx