Boob job gone wrong. Where do I stand?

Angelpie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5037 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, can anyone give me any advice please. this is so embarrassing but I have to deal with it now before I go insane.

I had a breast augmentation two years ago (2 yrs and 2 months to be exact) and at first they were great and my confidence soared. I had lost my 34c after breastfeeding three kids and went to a saggy 32A and my confidence was so low my husband reluctantly agreed that surgery was the right thing for me. I had nagged for ages but he isn't really a "boob" man, and really didn't want me to have it done. Anyway, I took out a loan and booked myself in with a very highly recommended clinic in London. I thoroughly researched my chosen surgeon, he was a well respected surgeon, he had appeared on television many times and is the surgeon of some celebrities too. I thought everything would be fine but I was wrong!

I had my op, coped very well with the operation and they were fantastic. I loved them but when the swelling started to settle I thought that one looked bigger than the other. I called the company that did them and they asked me to go in for a check up. The nurse said it was just because the swelling had settled more on one breast than the other and it will soon settle completely so they would be the same. I wasn't so sure as 4 months seemed adequate time for the swelling to settle. She then commented that my boobs looked slightly different in size before the operation judging by my photographs. I was so embarrassed I jumped up, got dressed and went home. I was devastated. I had just paid them over £4000 but I felt like an idiot for complaining, I felt humiliated. They never did even out and now one is a full cup size bigger than the other, this has made me even more self consious than before the op. I won't undress infront of my husband, i won' go on holiday - I cannot wear a bikini because the sizes are too drastic, I don't wear tops that cling and everytime I lean over the bathroom sink to clean my teeth i cry because all i can see is two odd sized boobs. I would do anything to have my 32A boobs back, at least I wouldn't look like a freak.

For months after I clung to the hop it was down to swelling and the more time has passed the harder it is for me to complain again. I have just "put up" with the fact that my surgery was a disaster and allowed myself to sink into a depression over it. My husband is so fed up he is insisting I call them and go back and demand they rectify it but I don't know where I stand. I cannot afford to pay again, I am still struggling to pay for the op in the first place. My husband thinks they should rectify it free of charge but I am too scared to contact them incase they tell me to bugger off. I wouldn't be able to cope if they said no. As it has been two years and two months I am not sure about the "warranty" of them. I know they would only re-operate free of charge if I developed capsular contracture within the first year (that's where your body rejects the implant) and after a year I would have to pay. I can't find the paperwork as a lot of our private papers were destroyed in a fire.

I am so upset and angry becasue if they though I had one bigger than the other to start with, why did they not measure me preoperly and use different sized implants?

I feel like such a freak and it's made me 10 times more self consious.

Does anyone know if i could force them to fix the problem. is there anyone i can contact should they refuse and has anyone had any problems before and then had it rectified? My surgeon has now retired and this has made me think that I definatlely have no chance now. This is so embarrassing but I really need help.

Thank you.

Chlo

I'm new, what the hell do I know? My comments and opinions are my own. Please seek advice of a qualified professional if in doubt.

Halifax

SAR sent 12/08/06

i think you should go and get a second proffessional opinion from another company - then strat legal procedures against them - if they loose they have to re-do the op or refund you and you get them 'fixed' else where, obviously a second opinion etc would help decide if they are likely to loose such a case.

People who haven't made mistakes, haven't made anything!

So sorry Angelpie to hear of your distress! I would agree with jo5ephedward5 that needs to be your first move - seek a second opinion. Then if they are saying that it is indeed a problem I would firstly revisit the clinic with a friend or advisor (not your husband as he is likely to be a little to close to the problem shall we say!). Then obviously that visit will dictate what move you make next. I would have said that you definately had a case and should perhaps take advice from CAB and also trading standards. The fact that you visited four months after the initial operation will be in your favour. In the mean time see if you can get hold of their terms and condition on follow ups etc.. being as you said most of the stuff was lost in a fire, there may be something in there that will help.

;) Boobaby

Please hit the scales if you think I've helped!

Please note that advice given is purely my opinion and should be treated as such.

FAQ’s

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

HSBC Claim - August 2006 £2,700 paid November 2006

Halifax Claim - August 2006 £4,100 paid December 2006

GE Capital - August 2006 - settled

Log Book Loans - August 2007 - sorted

Angelpie as Boobaby quite rightly said you had visited them 4 months after the op regarding the prob so they will have that on record, ask them if they are prepared to rectify this first, you never know they may be willing to do this, if they refuse advise them you are going for a second opinion as to the success of the original operation, then take legal advise if they dont accept the 2nd opinion.GOOD LUCK.

Thank you all very much for your replies. I hadn't even thought of a second opinion. I will contact another cosmetic surgery clinic tomorrow and make an appointment.

Thank you all so much, I am too embarrassed to talk to friends or family about it and telling people anonomously is a great relief.

Thank you all x

I'm new, what the hell do I know? My comments and opinions are my own. Please seek advice of a qualified professional if in doubt.

Halifax

SAR sent 12/08/06

Be clear about why you are seeking a second opinion. The purpose is usually to determine whether there has been fault/ negligence, which would be the foundation of any legal action....

Thanks, I have written to them today and have asked them to arrange an appointment for an examination. I didn't phone because I would get too upset so I thought if I wrote to them they will get the full details of my complaint without having to listen to me sob.

Cheers everyone

Halifax

SAR sent 12/08/06

It may be wise for you to have taken some pictures to keep as evidence of the condition and ask a independent surgeon to give you an opinion if possible...

They took before and after photo's (instant poloroid photo) which they have in my file. Is there anyway i can get a copy of them as evidence (like under the SAR with a £10 payment). I'm just thinking that because the nurse said they looked a different size in my pre-op photo's then surely if she is right, i have a case.

Halifax

SAR sent 12/08/06

Thanks, I have written to them today and have asked them to arrange an appointment for an examination. I didn't phone because I would get too upset so I thought if I wrote to them they will get the full details of my complaint without having to listen to me sob.

Cheers everyone

Good on you Angel, that's the first most important move out of the way!! You will now find that the more you deal with them and the situation the stronger you will get - and hey you can always come on here and have a moan, there's always someone to help!

Take care

Boo

;) Boobaby

Please note that advice given is purely my opinion and should be treated as such.

FAQ’s

Wasn't a small asian gentleman was it, who uses an office in Harley St and the facilities at Highgate?

If I've helped tip my scales

Blair Oliver & Scott, £2500 written off December 2006 Default removed January 2007:D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/56001-mike220359-blair-oliver-scott.html

Monument, didn't sign the agreement

:D

Lloyds TSB didn't sign the agreement!

Citicards, didn't sign the agreement

RBS tut, tut!

:rolleyes:

Morgan Stanley, oh dear

It's not that surgeon, I would tell you who and where but I want to be careful what I say until they have had a chance to discuss it wth me. If they don't help then I will name them but I need to give them a chance to resolve it first.

Halifax

SAR sent 12/08/06

A bit of good news, I have had an appointment made for me to see another surgeon in a few weeks time, I have just checked him out on the GMC register and am happy to go along to see him. I just hope they sort it out without expecting me to pay again.

Halifax

SAR sent 12/08/06

Well done you I bet you feel much better at this point?

Fab news keep us in touch.

Boo

;) Boobaby

FAQ’s

Well done you I bet you feel much better at this point?

Fab news keep us in touch.

Boo

I do feel much better now that I have talked about it. It was much easier telling "strangers" than telling my own friends. Thank you all so much for your support, I will let you know whether they are going to fix them or not.

Thanks again

Chlo x

Halifax

SAR sent 12/08/06

I do feel much better now that I have talked about it. It was much easier telling "strangers" than telling my own friends. Thank you all so much for your support, I will let you know whether they are going to fix them or not.

Thanks again

Chlo x

You're very welcome and I agree with you 100% about the talking with strangers bit.

Good luck

Boo

;) Boobaby

FAQ’s

Yep thats him,

If I've helped tip my scales

Blair Oliver & Scott, £2500 written off December 2006 Default removed January 2007:D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/56001-mike220359-blair-oliver-scott.html

Monument, didn't sign the agreement

Lloyds TSB didn't sign the agreement!

Citicards, didn't sign the agreement

RBS tut, tut!

Morgan Stanley, oh dear

Mr Singh! no it wasn't him, I would love to get them re-done by him though as he is one of the best apparently.

Halifax

SAR sent 12/08/06

Just a quick thought...

You say you took out a loan to pay for the surgery. If the loan agreement says this, then you might also be able to chase the loan provider based on their joint and several liability under the consumer credit act.

If you took out a "cash" loan which doesn't state the purpose of the loan, however, this does not apply.

edinburghbeerbucket :D

It was a cash loan, I didn't want my bank manager knowing what I wanted the money for. I have my appointment in a few days and I am really nervous. I will post their response when I have had my appointment and let you all know if they are willing to rectify it without the need for legal action. (if I can take legal action that is).

Halifax

SAR sent 12/08/06