Please help tax credits - scared

scared80
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4627 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi, new to this hoping someone can help! basically i live with my partner but mainly just for the kids we dont get on well at all. we have seperate account he has his wages i have mine. he pays the bills etc and i pay my own car insurance etc etc. i have claimed that he does not live there for past 18 months as i cannot survive on my money alone and he will not have a joint account. he earns a very good wage and didnt want to give any of it up! i have recevied a letter from the compliance team saying they r enquirying for 2010 -2011 and they want rent contract, council tax bill, phone bills, basically all bills as well as bank statements. to say i have been a wreck is an understatement im petrified im going to prison. i cant stop crying. I am in the process of collecting all the bills etc but am wondering if i should just call them to confess or try and say he doesnt live there, please help me.

i cant sleep or anything.

the compliance officer is calle m cantello has anyone spoke to him, if so is he nice?

Edited by scared80

Hi Scared80 - you've come to the right place for support. I have just recently undergone a "review" by the compliance team for my childcare. For one reason or another I didn't notify the tax credits that I shouldn't have been paid childcare between April-Nov 2010. I too was worried about prosecution etc.

Personally I wouldn't phone, I would write a letter explaining your situation and this will be classed as "full disclosure". Make sure you send it to them with the evidence they have requested by the deadline date (and send it recorded delivery). At this point there is no point in hiding anything as this could make the situation worse at a later date. It appears that HMRC are only bothered about getting the money back.

I would ALWAYS recommend writing for a few reasons. The main one being you have proof of exactly what you said. Other reasons include the fact that in a letter you can explain yourself fully without being interupted plus you won't forget things or be sidetracked by questions.

The compliance team seem to be handling post a lot better than normal tax credit team and responses seem quite speedy.

just a quick update, i could put it off no longer, and this morning i called them. and can i just say that i feel so much better and am looking forward to a good night sleep today. he was so nice i couldnt believe he said that as i have confessed they no longer are going to investigate i do not need to send any bills etc basically they are going to work out my overpayment and take it back out of my future joint claim award. i have def learnt my lesson and am so glad i that i called them the relief is indescribable!

Hiya yes that's what they advised as he makes a relevant contribution to the household by paying all the bills etc. I do feel it's slightly bad of them though because sometimes for financial reasons ex's have to stay living with each other but lead completely seperate lives but it seems by trying to keep a roof over my kids heads it's wrong, if he didn't sleep here it would b ok but even tho we share a bed thats all we do if u know what I mean! I'm glad it's all sorted now tho massive relief but I'm now gonna sort out my homelife partner issues too he can shape up or ship out! Hope u get urs sorted xxxx

This day in age a lot of peoples circumstances are complex - I am sure you are not the first (and not the last lol) they should see that but suppose it's difficult to put that in a computer lol.

Good luck anyway, this site has offered loads of support for me and I will stick around on this thread 2 offer support for anyone who needs it xxx