Changing name by deed poll - anyone done this?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4677 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok thanks CB. HoneyBee I don't know if I'm just being dumb but I can't find a link to click in your post?

Just spoke to the local registrars office to my birthplace in bonny Scotland. It seems if I fill in a form for them and pay the fee they actually issue an ammended birth certificate with the name change recorded on it. Result :)

Edited by haggis1984

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

Ok thanks CB. HoneyBee I don't know if I'm just being dumb but I can't find a link to click in your post?

You're not thick, it's me [sigh]. Half the time, I forget to add the link. I'll go away and find it again, back shortly.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

N.B.

http://www.ukdp.co.uk/deed-poll-questions/#govoffice

A Deed Poll can be enrolled in the Central Office of the Supreme Court, however this is not compulsory and is very rarely done. It is not necessary to do so as you can just keep the deed to produce as evidence of a change of name if required.

Although a Deed Poll is an English legal document, it is recognised by all UK government departments, companies and organisations.

Thanks HB :) I'll be sure to keep the thread updated.

So far I've got a form in the post to the Register of Births, Deaths and marriages in Scotland. They said they'd send a new birth certificate within 3 weeks.

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

Is there any way of getting any sort of financial assistance for this process? I get DLA for BPD, Dyspraxia and the accompanying depression so money is very tight.

£55 to the Registrar in Scotland

£77 to the passport people when I change the name on that

This is going to be might expensive!

£48 in total from xxx. This included 2 'legal docs' for if you want to get married, passport application etc. Takes less than 2 weeks from start to finish.

Edited by cerberusalert

£48 in total from xxx. This included 2 'legal docs' for if you want to get married, passport application etc. Takes less than 2 weeks from start to finish.

:roll:

A waste of time and money.

All you need is a deed poll which you can do for yourself, in as along as it takes to write it out and get a witness.

Hi, you dont need to go to a solicitor. I changed back to my maiden name last June. I used The UK Deed Poll Office.

Their web site is www.theukdeedpolloffice.co.uk

You will find all you need there. I had a dozen copies done and they have all been accepted by council,etc.They are printed on good paper. I wasnt disappointed.

Why pay £9.99 for what you could easily do for yourself?

As was already explained, a deed is nothing more than an appropriately drafted document, signed by the performer and countersigned by a witness.

Somebody put together a web site to explain what to do:

http://freedeedpoll.co.uk/

If you are reluctant to trust them with your details, there is not even the need to use their "service", free of charge though it is. It is just as easy to write it out or print a deed at home.

P.S.

Don't be befuddled. ".. poll" means nothing except to imply that no more than the one person is affected.

Edited by perplexity
PS

Hi, you dont need to go to a solicitor. I changed back to my maiden name last June. I used The UK Deed Poll Office.

Their web site is www.theukdeedpolloffice.co.uk

You will find all you need there. I had a dozen copies done and they have all been accepted by council,etc.They are printed on good paper. I wasnt disappointed.

Thanks loopylil but the route I'm taking I shouldn't have need for a DP. The obstacles I have are the cost of changing the name on my passport, and the cost of registering the name change with the Register of Births and Deaths in Scotland. Even with a DP I'd still have to pay for both of these.

To register a change of name in Scotland you also have to prove that the name or surname which the applicant wishes to have recorded has been in use by him for a period of not less than two years prior to the date of application.

You may therefore be required to produce "a copy of a notice inserted in a newspaper circulating in the area of the applicant’s usual residence specifying the applicant’s intention to apply to the Registrar General for the recording of the name or surname proposed and specifying also that such name or surname has been in use by him for a period of not less than two years prior to the date of the insertion of the notice in the newspaper."

[Registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages (Scotland) Act 1965, s.43(5)]

It appears to be very much a matter for the discretion of the Registrar General.

Quick update - Have changed my name on Facebook so all my mates know now :) The Scottish Registrars office called to take payment from me for the amended birth certificate, so that should arrive shortly :)