style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4701 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Folks My son has been in University accommodation in his first year and the accommodation office have now Invoiced him to pay £50 to paint the walls and £5 to clean the communal kitchen surface. I know that there wasnt any need to paint the walls and clean the kitchen surfaces, as I was there at the time of him moving out, I helped clean the kitchen surfaces myself and I had checked the walls. I know Universities can be mean at witholding a students degree until all debts have been paid. Do I have any recourse that he doesnt have to pay this , I see this as another way of Universities taking money from naive students. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Regards Doc

Your statement of the facts does not give sufficient information to enable me to detect whether your son has a shorthold tenancy.

Will you please provide the essential information requested in the "sticky" thread Questions for new posters.

There are many other questions to ask.

Are the premises in England and Wales? Was your son provided with an Inventory, that he accepted?

Has he paid a deposit? Is the deposit protected under the rent deposit scheme?

Have all the students signed the same document? Or does each student have a seperate written contract?

Have you read the accomodation agreement clauses? I doubt it is an AST more likely some form of Licence to Occupy. How where accom charges levied? per term or per academic year? What sort of Notice did your son have to give before moving out & when?

When your son moved into Halls I assume you expected the living/communal areas to be pristine and not showing the effect of 10 years 'wear & tear'. If the previous Ts had left walls with scuff marks and dirty kitchen surfaces, that may have been an acceptable standard to their parents. If the walls were freshly painted with prof clean kitchen surfaces when your son moved in, that is the state they should be in when he vacates. I cannot see £55 being an 'excessive charge'.