Tax credits error compliance letter

Salli
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4711 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all - please could sombody with real experience / knowledge advise me? I have recieved a complance letter claiming that my single claim for tax credits is in error and I should have mada a joint claim - with an estimated overpayment for that year of £7000. I phoned them and was told he was on the electoral register at my address. He had used my address as he was of no fixed abode, and wanted to vote in the election. I told him to take his name off, which he did, as he never lived at my address - although he was listed as an occupant on the electoral role for part of the year.

My claim for single tax credits is genuine, and I have provided them with all my financial records for that year. As my ex-partner cannot prove an alternative address for that year are they able to assume he was living with me - although he wasn't? If so - how would I challenge an overpayment judgement? If this failed, how would they recover the money? I really depend on my tax credits and my claim is genuinely a single claim. Help!

Hi Salli,

Have they asked for bank statements, tenancy agreements, p60s? etc. to be sent to them?

Unfortunately, it seems it counts for a lot where your post goes - regardless of where you actually live.

They contradict themselves in a way, as you are allowed to have a 'care of address' for tax credits and self assessment.

So for example, if you choose a care of address at another house, (say, because you might be in a shared flat and you don't want others you don't trust, to have access to your post) it seems you would be declaring you actually live at the alternative postal address. But I expect they'll probably look into it in more detail than that. I.e: Where do your ex-partner's bank statements etc go? Do you have single occupancy council tax?

Let us know how you get on.

Edited by onlyme79