walking and dla

actonjon
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4739 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all you been very helpful to me in tha past still waiting on the chaiman to see if we can appeal to the ut now have a question if you are able to walk 50metres accompanied without stopping but walks with a stick and wears a corset to help him are u entiltled to the mobilty on dla this is for a friend thank u

No, you wouldn't as this demonstrates that he can walk. You would be better saying he can't use a walking stick because it hurts his hands/arm/shoulders etc. You needs to show that he is virtually unable to walk. Only able to walk a few meters on his own then having to stop for a few minutes if he is in too much pain or if he needs to sit down before he could continue to walk.

Hope this helps

No, you wouldn't as this demonstrates that he can walk. You would be better saying he can't use a walking stick because it hurts his hands/arm/shoulders etc. You needs to show that he is virtually unable to walk. Only able to walk a few meters on his own then having to stop for a few minutes if he is in too much pain or if he needs to sit down before he could continue to walk.

Hope this helps

This forum is not here to advise people to commit fraud. Clearly the person is able to walk 50 metres with a walking stick, so why are you advising them to lie and say that they cannot do that?

Hope this helps

Agree with Dennis - what you are advocating is fraud and is unacceptable. Jon has already stated what his friend is capable of.

Jon, what is your friend's walking speed and is 50metres the maximum they can walk. Also do they have support from the other person as well as the stick, or does the person just accompany them?

he is in constant pain attens pain clinic he has promlems going out alone he walks with a limp has to stop but when he went to the clinic last week he had a letter from the pain clinic that he can walk 50 mtrs but no mention of meds he is on only that he has a stick i think he needs to go back to the clinic and explain and get the letter changed he is on pain patch loads of meds he can get confused sometimes as well due to med s he is always very tired they knock him out the meds

The actual crireria is how far you can walk before you start to feel discomfort and pain, you may well be able to walk 2 miles but after 10m you suffer discomfort, therefore the distance capable is 10m. One needs to consider if the underlying condition is also variable and if so it is based around your worst day.Nobody should be disingenious about their disability, however IF someone is found guilty of benefit fraud then they suffer the consequences. One mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist !

The trouble with DLA is doesn't take into account variable, you can or you can't

Say a people couldn't cook/ feed their selves 2 day a week, but can the other 5, so on average the person doesn't need help,

but if rejected what is a person suppose to do twice a week? starve?

The actual crireria is how far you can walk before you start to feel discomfort and pain, you may well be able to walk 2 miles but after 10m you suffer discomfort, therefore the distance capable is 10m. One needs to consider if the underlying condition is also variable and if so it is based around your worst day.Nobody should be disingenious about their disability, however IF someone is found guilty of benefit fraud then they suffer the consequences. One mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist !

It needs to be enough pain or discomfort that you cannot continue walking - just having some pain or breathlessness (for example) isn't enough. Plenty of people are in some pain when they walk - I have been for about 7 years, but its only in the last 2 years that the pain's been so severe that most of the time I can't even contemplate continuing after about 30 metres.

And as has already been pointed out - it shouldn't be based on your worst day, but any variability should be explained when claiming. For instance, using myself as an example, on my worst day I wouldn't even walk outdoors at all, but on my very best day I could walk 50 metres, on a normal day 30 metres. I would then explain that I have about one really good day a fortnight, and a couple of bad days a week. Most people have some variability in their condition, and not admitting to variability will ring alarm bells with a decision maker or tribunal and leaves you open to a later fraud charge.