council tax benefit, personal injury payment and savings queston

sj01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4718 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, Does any one know any thing about personal injury payments.

Does the payment get taken into account regarding savings or is it disregarded when claiming council tax.

I have been told it will not affect ESA.

I have also read that the payment doesnt get taken into account for 52 weeks regarding means tested benefits.

Does any one know what would then happen if the money was spent before the 52 weeks were over.

Thanks.:???:

Hello. Can you tell us where the personal injury payment originated from please? Was it an insurance company, for instance?

My best, HB

Hi, Yes, It is from an accident.

The case went through the other sides insurance but settled before court.

Its not a great amount but is about 7,500.

We know there is a trust that prevents it from being means tested but dont really want to do that for such a small amount as there is a set up charge and an annual fee.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
What is wrong with asking relevant questions?

Even though the questioner may not be able to help it will assist those who can and expedite things a lot faster.

I appreciate that but I have noticed that some people just post for the sake of it.

I know that this is a friendly site but I cant help by being frustrated some times by these type of responses when people are desperate.

I have been reprimanded by the site team in the past for making comments about frequent, unhelpful posters so as not to offend people who post for a hobby I will say no more.

others are not

so...........

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I appreciate that but I have noticed that some people just post for the sake of it.

I know that this is a friendly site but I cant help by being frustrated some times by these type of responses when people are desperate.

I have been reprimanded by the site team in the past for making comments about frequent, unhelpful posters so as not to offend people who post for a hobby I will say no more.

Honeybee asked helpful questions that could assist someone else reading the thread to answer your query more promptly. It isn't her fault that no one answered, and it is not nice to take out your frustrations about that on her.

As to your query. I'd expect that how the money was treated after 52 weeks would depend on how it was spent. There is always the possibility that capital that has been spent can become subject to enquiries about whether the money has been spent for the purpose of continuing benefit entitlement. It is a small amount though, and it is not unreasonable that it would be used up. Just keep receipts for large purchases and be prepared to justify them. Of course if you have no other savings then you only have to worry about the amount above the £6000 threshold anyway.

Please be nicer in future when people are just being helpful.

to be honest ime unsure in your case but what i can tell you is

three months ago i got hit from behind in my works vehicle and i was contacted by her insurance company direct by phone.

i had no intention about making any personal injury claim but i received a letter from the DWP stating that any benefit i received would be paid back out of any compensation.

the point ime making is any accident that may involve a personal injury claim is that its passed to the DWP by the insurance company.

be it you are employed (SSP) or on benefit

to be honest ime unsure in your case but what i can tell you is

three months ago i got hit from behind in my works vehicle and i was contacted by her insurance company direct by phone.

i had no intention about making any personal injury claim but i received a letter from the DWP stating that any benefit i received would be paid back out of any compensation.

the point ime making is any accident that may involve a personal injury claim is that its passed to the DWP by the insurance company.

be it you are employed (SSP) or on benefit

Yes, if the injury is the reason you're off sick and claiming benefits, then this can happen. If you were sick anyway, then it shouldn't matter.

The insurance company has to pay the benefits back if the person is claiming benefits because of the accident.

It will be paid back but not by you.

This doesnt come out of the actual payment that the injured party gets.

I dont know if your benefits are stopped or if the money is treated just like any other saving though.