c r b checks

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4728 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I have been selfemployed since 1995 but have decided to apply for a job a with another company.

All went well in the interveiw but they want to carrout a c r b check on me.

Around 20 years ago a was in court and chatged with theft,it was a stupid thing to have done.

I was fined a few hundred pounds and had a suspended sentence.

Do i need to tell the employer and does it matter as its so long ago and will they find out about it

All help and advise would be greatly taken..

Hello there. This crops up reguarly and the advice is always what boris has told you. It often works to explain that you were young and irresponsible, have grown up/moved on/learned from this mistake and become a model citizen, etc. It's worked on several occasions. Employers seem to understand that a mistake years ago isn't really relevant and you won't have told porkies only to find that it comes back to bite you later.

There are plenty of other threads about this on the forum. Good luck and be brave.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

There are different levels of CRB checks, some show more detail than others.

For example if you are working with vulnerable people or minors then an Enhanced CRB check would normally be requested (this includes a lot more detail), if not then a standard CRB check will be requested.

For most types of employment the Rehab of Offenders Act applies, which means that after a fixed period of time you no longer have to disclose offences (as these are deemed as 'spent', in a few types of employment offences must be disclosed regardless of how long ago they took place.

Unless your application form indicated that the post was exempt from the Rehab of Offenders Act for disclosure purposes then you haven't done anything wrong if you didn't tell them about it, and if it shows on a CRB check most employers would take a pragmatic view and look at how long ago it was, what the offence was, and how old you were at the time.

As advised by other posters honesty is always the best policy, you might find that if you are honest and up front with them about it and explain the circumstances beforehand then they will view you in a better light than if you try and hide it.

Mossycat

thanks for replys,

The job is sales in home improvements and double glazing.with me visiting properties to offer quotes.

I have been told as its over 15 years ago the chances are that they would not even pick it up...?