Car stolen from garage whilsti n for repair

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4725 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

New to the site and in need of a little help.

I have had my car stolen from a local independent garage whilst in for repair. The police have found the car burnt out. The garage say that i should contact my own insurance and want the money for the repair including the price of a new engine!

My insurance say it is the responsibility of the garage to cover for theft whilst in their care.

I am unsure as to the liability of insurance and whose insurance takes responsibly. Also i have doubts about the work carried out on the car as it seams a little to quick for the repairs to have been carried out.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thank you

you report it and claim through your own insurance company

then your insurance company deal with the garage own public liability/trade insurance policy

you pay the garage nothing

leave it up to your own insurance company

THATS WHAT YOU PAY THEM FOR

The garage is correct OP. They do have a duty of care not to cause damage while working on your car and to ensure it is secured using the vehicles locks when unnatended. They dont however have to cover for damage not caused by themself providing they have the normal disclaimer signs.

You will have to pay them for the work as they have done what you requested they do. In fairness to the garage, if it was taken in requiring a new engine it is safe to assume the engine was fitted if it was driven from their site.

You will have to go through your own insurance. They will enquire about how the garage secured the car and if it wasn't secured they will pursue their insurer.

I would

you have not been presented with any invoice prior to the threat or accepted any work was done

let your own insurance company do the donkey work

Edited by postggj

What other vehicles got damage/stolen at the time? You sure the garage didn't decide not to do the work, then "arrange" for it to be stolen expecting your insurance to pay for their non-repair?

I agree with postggj, you initially claim through your own insurance, but they should pursue the garage through their business insurance. The garage bill is a matter for the garage to pursue through whatever insurance liabilities they have for "unpaid bills" perhaps.

Just a thought, have you asked for the invoice for the engine they claim to have obtained from their own suppliers? Also have you asked for a copy of the invoice for the work they claim to have carried out? If they got both it should be date and time stamped to coincide with what the work was completed.

Maybe worth paying them a visit to ask for them on the premise that your insurer has asked for them to see what they say and how they react!

I may be wrong but if garage wanted your car to be stay overnight at their premises then they should be liable for any damage. I think that garage is just trying to get out the engine money off you which was never fixed.