• Tweets

• Hi With the Section 21 Notice I do hope the Landlord issued you with: Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the Property How to Rent Guide A current Gas Safety Certificate (if gas in the Property) If above have not been provided to the Tenant by the Landlord then they can't use a Section 21 Notice until the above have been provided (note you don't warn the Landlord of this until but put it in your defence) Have a good read of this link: Evicting tenants in England: Section 21 and Section 8 notices - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK Information for landlords in England on tenant eviction: assured shorthold tenancies, including eviction notices, Section 21, Section 8, accelerated possession, possession orders, bailiffs  
    • good idea take some pix and put them in a PDF read UPLOAD dx
    • thread title updated moved to overseas debt forum. sadly as they are outside any UK jurisdiction upon DCA rules which state in the UK they must not call employers, there not alot you can do to stop these scammers. make sure you totally make private ALL social media twitter/facebook/linked in etc etc as there no-way for them to findout where you work otherwise so you must have a leak somewhere. find it. your employer details arent even legally available to UK DCA's so how have they found it out to date???  simply write to the BANK informing them of your correct and current address ALWAYS!!. if you want to arrange payment or not TO THE BANK ONLY thats upto you. never ever ignore a Statutory Demand a Letter Of Claim a Court Claimform. if if if any of those ever happen. till then ignore and rewash. dx    
    • Date of issue –   13 may 2024 AOS date 31st may defence filing date 14th june plenty of lowell card claimform threads here use our enhanced google searchbox Lowell card claimform id be reading at least 5-10 threads a day. do NOT MISS your defence filing whatever happens.  
    • Hello All,  I’m hoping someone can help me urgently here. Firstly, I’d like to say I have read multiple other threads and have some what an idea of what I should be doing, however my case might be slightly different so coming with my own questions here.    my situation is I lived in Dubai and had a credit card and a loan, loan with HSBC and credit card with Emirates (or the other way round), I lost my job and was forced to leave the country as I was staying in the country on my companies visa.    since coming back, after a few years 2 different debt collections agencies have been approaching me (one being IDRW and the other J&P). I’ve never answered IDRWW and they constantly chase me by calling and messaging me and my employer. My current company is ok with this as I explained the situation but I’m soon to be joining a new company who definitely won’t be ok with being messaged and called. I’m afraid to continue to ignore them as they may message and calm the new employer as they have before and I’ll lose my job. However, it seems clear from these forums that dealing with the debt collection agencies is never a good idea. You shouldn’t agree to the amount or pay anything.    j&p caught me on my phone but I still haven't sent them any money or confirmed the amount they’re saying is owed, they keep pushing to pay off the “principal” amount by making monthly payments, from reading these forums it seems like if I make one of those payments (they have provided bank details for ENBD), then it’ll just be paying off interest and not actually clearing the principle debt and the bank won’t even approve receipt of payment or that it’s coming off principle.    this is my predicament as ignoring them might not be an option if they chase my new employer. Maybe there’s a way to ensure the debt collection agency don’t contact my new employer?? I don’t know? Massively appreciate peoples help here. Thanks, 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

1st Stop and AoE by the old address judgement trick - help to set aside please ****Claim Withdrawn****

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4467 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I think you must take a tougher line on this. The court order said you were to receive a copy of the statement.

Have you phoned them (ie. the claimant) and asked why they have not sent the statement to you? If you can, record the call. It is probably their intention to swear blind to the court that they have sent it.

Depending on the response, you must email or write to them (hand deliver?) a very strongly worded letter making clear they are in breach of the court order, that you are severely prejudiced by this, and that you will not hesitate to request a further court order to force them to disclose the information which will incur extra costs for them.

Copy all this correspondence to the court.

And get an N244 ready to request a court order to force them to comply – sometimes an N244 is the only way a court will take such issues seriously.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank You DB for taking the time yet again to reply.I haven't phoned the Claimant or written to them recently.Even if I did now, and they did comply, I don't think there would be enough time before Thursday. As I said earlier, I have made three seperate requests for the statement, amongst other things, and for whatever reason they have not complied.They have even been ordered by the Court, and still refuse, so I doubt they would send one now.I have to go niow, but will pop back in later today. Thank You once again.RegardsSignaller

In which case you have made plenty of effort – I would suggest again a further N244. The court cannot ignore it, especially as you have the hearing in three days’ time. You must treat this with the utmost urgency now.

But I suggest to make clear to the claimant, just after you have issued the N244, that you have done so, and you fully expect their failure to comply with the court order to mean that they bear the cost of the application.

The application should request, inter alia, that

(a) the claimant do be forced to comply with the order of Judge XXXX of XX/Xxxx/2011, failure of which will result in strike out of the claim and costs to the defendant (effectively an ‘unless’ order);

(b) the hearing be adjourned to enable the defendant to file a proper defence, as the non-compliance by the claimant with the court order has severely prejudiced your ability to enter a defence.

© Costs in the application (to be paid by the claimant).

In your preamble, state clearly what the court order was, and how they have defaulted.

I swear that if I didn't have bad luck, I would have no luck at all.But life is what it is and we must deal with whatever comes our way as best we can. My heartfelt and sincere thanks go out to all of you who have helped me so far.

I have spoken with a Court staff member and was advised that as the hearing is so near (tomorrow) I am to explain everything to the DJ (thats assuming he/she will let me). I will have an N244 ready to submit, unless the DJ further orders the Claimants compliance.How many chances are they to be given. Anyway, I will post again tomorrow as soon after the hearing as I can. Thank You all once again.

Regards

Signaller

Fingers crossed for tomorrow sig. I hope it goes your way.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Good luck. Stick to your guns – and tell it as it is. If they turn up, be prepared for them to tell fibs, and if they present any documents they claim to have sent to you, make it absolutely clear you have not received them and demand an adjournment with costs against the claimant for failing to fulfil the court order.

Well it's good news, sort of. The DJ today actually listened to what I had to say.Claimant didn't attend again.No surprise there. Anyway, he said he would allow the Set Aside with one condition.That is that I submit a defence by 4pm on 17/11. The DJ gave me a copy of the statement that the Claimant should have sent me.Going to have a good look over it this afternoon.I may need some help with my defence.I cannot scan the statement here but will try later today or first thing in the morning. Thank You yet again to everyone who has helped me to date.RegardsSignaller

Hi, been very busy over the weekend but have gone through the statement the DJ gave me.Haven't been able to post it up, and can't do it at work.There are charges for calls allegedly made and letters allegedley sent to me (£12 each call and letter). None of them match up with what they sent in their part response to my SAR. I did receive some calls, but not as many as they are claiming, and I have received no letters at all. Bear in mind that they have been aware of my correct address at all times. They claim they sent me a statement as well as to the Court but they have not.They e mailed the statement to the Court but not to me. They are aware of my e mail address also. I can find many faults with the statement, and I will attempt to deal with it in my defence letter.Can they add 'penalty interest' after judgement is awarded for them, and after the AoE was granted in their favour? The ammount varies between 90p and £5.18 each time.Some months it's more than the previous charge, some months it's less. It looks to me like someone has attempted to produce the statement from memory, rather than from facts. There is plenty of time before I have to submit a letter and defence, and would greatly appreciate any furthwer comments/advice.Thank You.Signaller

Are there any T&Cs which state they are allowed to add charges? It would really help if we could see the documents.

Have you checked the alleged dates to see, for example, if they have sent letters on a Sunday? Often mistakes are made when documents are, er, created after the event.

Compare the dates they claim letters and documents were sent with the actual letters you were sent.

An SAR should have uncovered details of all letters and calls –*how can they charge for a call or letter if its content or occurrence is not recorded on their system?

Sorry DB, system went down at work here. I have received no letters at all from them.How can they charge for letters they claim they have sent.I won't lie to you or anyone.I have received no such letters from them.They have sent no T&C's in their part response to my SAR.The statement says there was a returned D/D on 24/12/2009, and a payment on 25/12/2009. The statement shows 'penalty interest' applied to the account firstly on 06/04/2010 and then on 06th of every month up to 06/06/2011.They obtained the initial judgement in February 2011, and continue to apply 'penalty interest'.I did say I have received no letters from them.I did actually receive a loan offer from them in December 2010.This letter is not logged in their response to my SAR.I also received a letter in January 2010 threatening a doorstep vist, but this letter is also not logged in the SAR or the statement.I did receive a 'Notice of Arrears' letter about 7 or 8 weeks ago.This is not showing on the statement.These are the only letters I have ever received from them.I will dispute the charges, that's the easy bit.Whether the next Judge believes me remains to be seen/heard.Thank You yet again for taking the time to reply.RegardsSignaller

Penalties are unenforceable at law.

THEY OFFERED YOU A LOAN? JESUS! Totally against OFT guidelines – they cannot encourage you into more debt to clear a debt – especially a disputed one.

I think maybe you should be writing to them, and copying the court, to demand copies of letters and details of calls that were omitted from your SAR. Advise them you will be sending the letter to the court, and ask why copies were not included in their SAR response. Tell them that failure to comply within three days will result in an application to the court for them to produce the documents, on pain of strike out, and a complaint to the ICO.

Thank You DB for replying again, and so quickly. Unfortunately I have to log off now, as I'm due to finish my shift. I'm not online at home so will try to get to the library this afternoon.If I cannot get online again today I will be back on early tomorrow morning.RegardsSignaller

DB- you say penalties are unenforcable at law.Can you explain this for me please. The statement does indeed state 'penalty interest'. Some months it's more than the previous month.Others it's less.It looks to me like the statement they sent to the Court has been made up 'after the event' so to speak.I have a few more days before I have to submit my defence.It's nearlly done.Just need to type it up.I would be grateful for any further comments.RegardsSignaller.ps: Is andyorch still around?

Thank you DB for replying again.Unfortunately I cannot scan it here at work but I will try the library in the morning.I am not online at home so cannot do it from there either.Forgive me if you've answered this before, but can they continue to apply interest after judgement is obtained.Thanks again.RegardsSignaller

I will dig out what they sent in their part response to my SAR.I don't remember seeing any T&C's, but will check anyway.I'm sure I can scan the statement at the library but cannot do it until tomorrow morning.I haven't deliberately left this until the last moment, although it may seem like it to you.I have had other issues to deal with lately but can now concentrate my time on this. There are still a few days left to submit something to the Court.Thank You.Signaller

Lots to go on here, signaller, especially as this balance includes charges up until June 2011! Also, the rate at which 'penalty interest' is charges appears to vary – initially low, then increasingly higher rates during early 2010. I’m thinking the sums aren’t adding up in some way, but need to analyse.

Couple of questions:

What was the judgment balance? £1,003.44

How much exactly did they claim on the claim form? £943.44 + £60 costs

When exactly was the claim form issued? 11 Feb 2011

Can you post the T&Cs they sent to you as part of the SAR?

EDIT: Answered some of it myself

Edited by DonkeyB