Advice regarding changing my name back

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4727 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When I returned to my maiden name after divorce I just told everyone - even for my passport I just had to sign a statement saying I was using my maiden name in future. Not sure if it would work the same for a man though. You could ring the passport office and see what they say since whatever they accept will be good enough for everyone else.

Hint - change your passport first and then do your driving licence as it avoids the need to send lots of documents to DVLA that they will lose.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

• 3 weeks later...

So far as I know, surnames don't need any formality to change. You can call youlself what you like - although you may need some certiification to get a passport etc. However as you have a birth certificate in your original name, it probably may not even be necessary to have any formality at all.

By contrast, first names - "given names" must be changed by deed poll

So if i want to apply for a new bank account or something else etc etc what would i need to do? Obviously my driving licence has my current name on it but when i send it back to them to change the name on it what documentation would i need to provide?

Strictly speaking you would send them your old licence and birth certificate. They may tell you that they want some additional certification but that would either be some internal rule they have - or else they don't understand the subject and they believe that changing a surname is more formal than it reall is - a common misonception

(a) You can just change your name although this does cause problems with companies that won't accept it

(b) Deed Poll as above

© Statutory Declaration. Found this on the CAb website

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/family_parent/family/change_of_name.htm

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

If I recall correctly, you do need a Deed Poll to get yourself a passport in another name but the Deed Poll procedure is not so difficult as it is to apply for a passport, easily achieved without a solicitor to charge a fee.

Google about. There used to be a privately run web site, somewhere, to tell you what to do. It is basically nothing more than a formal declaration that has to be sworn before witnesses.