Orange are trying to collect over £4500 for Data

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4713 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I don't know what to do I have been to Cisas and they did not help at all

in fact they just said I used the data.

But Orange sold me a phone and this HTC just downloaded without my knowledge.

Orange did not send me any warnings and told me they don't have to .

They just sent me a bill for over £4200 now its been passed to a debt company with a 72 hour warning

I have never not paid a bill so I have no idea how to handle this .

I ned to know what kind of organisation can now help me

If you are still having problems Op do remember to post xx

Mobile phones contracts aren't credit agreements and they do not have credit limits, in fact as far as I'm aware Orange and some of the other networks do not offer to cap your usage at any level. If the original poster has been through CISAS then they have completed the final stage of Orange's complaints procedure, their only other option now would be legal action, I doubt after you've finished Orange's complaints procedure they'll carry on dealing with the complaint.

I do know the difference, and I do KNOW that a mobile phone contract has a CREDIT LIMIT!

I do know the difference, and I do KNOW that a mobile phone contract has a CREDIT LIMIT!

OK after undertaking some further research some contracts have a usage limit in some cases, you don't get credit on a mobile phone contract so you don't get a credit limit, that being said, Orange do refer to it as a credit limit but that's just a poorly drafted contract IMO.

The contract makes it clear that even if Orange do set a usage limit they aren't obliged to bar you if you exceed it, and they are not hard and fast limits in the same was as one on your credit card. I'm not certain the op could rely on this limit to claim that they were only liable to a certain extent.

"We may set monthly credit limits for Charges. We may (but do not have to) Suspend some or

all of our Services if you go over a credit limit. You should not use a credit limit for budgeting

because the amount you owe is not capped or limited by any credit limit we set."

OK after undertaking some further research some contracts have a usage limit in some cases, you don't get credit on a mobile phone contract so you don't get a credit limit, that being said, Orange do refer to it as a credit limit but that's just a poorly drafted contract IMO.

The contract makes it clear that even if Orange do set a usage limit they aren't obliged to bar you if you exceed it, and they are not hard and fast limits in the same was as one on your credit card. I'm not certain the op could rely on this limit to claim that they were only liable to a certain extent.

"We may set monthly credit limits for Charges. We may (but do not have to) Suspend some or

all of our Services if you go over a credit limit. You should not use a credit limit for budgeting

because the amount you owe is not capped or limited by any credit limit we set."

Shows therefore that even the store managers of orange stores do not know the full ins and outs, as the milton keynes manager as said prior is on tape quoting that orange do warn users when get to the 90% limit of their data. So executive orange are right you cannot go verbally on waht told or in my words trust the word of a store manager or sales reps from stores or over the phone.

Now surely there is something wrong there, if SO MANY are happy to try to sell contracts based on their interpretations and placate a upset customer feeling missold in the same way. Why do you think so many orange staff are happy to quote this fact or that fact that is rebutted in terms and conditons somewhere thats if you can see them, in my opinion because they are therefore DODGEY.

I have just (after months of fighting) resolved a similar issue with Orange (£450). A few questions so I can try and help :-

What plan are you on?

What Data bundle do you have?

How much data over the Bundle did you use?

Was this a brand new contract with Orange or an Upgrade from an existing contract?

When did you first become an Orange customer and (if an upgrade) when did you Upgrade?

Did you get a little booklet from Orange with the phone saying "Read this first" and if so do you still have it?

It's worth keeping on fighting as I say it's taken me since February to resolve my issue and only got the recalculated bill this week!

No promises about your case but I'll try and help if I can.

Martin.

BTW here are some generic tips for dealing with Orange :-

RECORD ALL CALLS (I didn't and wish I had!)

Get the name and extension number of every person you speak too, also note date time and duration of all calls.

Make sure you keep paying any undisputed bills that you receive after the disputed one but make it clear you will not pay the disputed one while you are still in dispute.

Email their Chief Executive if you are not getting anywhere, you will get a reply from their "Executive office" when you send any further EMails CC them to the Chief Executives address as well (I don't know if he actually gets them as you'll never get a personal reply from him but if he does he would be an idiot not to take note of them!)

Keep all your EMails calm and considered, DON'T swear or even get frustrated (a bit of sarcasm is probably OK, for example I called their customer services a "joke"), keep the number of questions per Email to a maximum of two or three. If they don't answer a question then send another short polite EMail again asking for the answer, keep sending until they answer. If you have more than two or three questions send them in separate EMails as a follow up to the original one.

If a staff member "promises" to phone you back ask for a time/day, If they fail to do so (very likely) send an Email again to the Executive office (CC'd to the chief exec.) asking when you are going to be called back and make sure you include the persons name extention and time/date of the original call (see above), then keep emailing daily until you are phoned back. point out in the email that you refuse to call Orange again until you have been called back as promised.

These constant "drip feed" EMails have the same effect of a child nagging for sweets, they gradually wear down the other side hopefully to the point where they give in. Also polite, level headed emails that just stick to the facts can in a strange way be FAR more annoying to the recipient (particularly if you keep nagging them for a reply) than aggresive/ranting emails as with the latter they have an excuse to ignore you. If they just stop replying to emails then it will be Orange that looks unreasonable when/if it goes to further appeal/legal action and not you.

Of course these tips aren't guaranteed to work, but they seemed to work for me :-)

Martin.

Edited by MFX

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

I have just (after months of fighting) resolved a similar issue with Orange (£450). A few questions so I can try and help :-

What plan are you on?

What Data bundle do you have?

How much data over the Bundle did you use?

Was this a brand new contract with Orange or an Upgrade from an existing contract?

When did you first become an Orange customer and (if an upgrade) when did you Upgrade?

Did you get a little booklet from Orange with the phone saying "Read this first" and if so do you still have it?

It's worth keeping on fighting as I say it's taken me since February to resolve my issue and only got the recalculated bill this week!

No promises about your case but I'll try and help if I can.

Martin.

I was never given any booklet with my contract. Just got me to sign an a4 sheet and gave me a copy of the one I signed. The one I have has no signature.

Should I have had a booklet?

I was never given any booklet with my contract. Just got me to sign an a4 sheet and gave me a copy of the one I signed. The one I have has no signature.

Should I have had a booklet?

It may vary depending on whether you deal with them in store or online/phone? Mine was an upgrade done by phone, in the box with the phone was a small booklet and in the Mobile internet section it stated that out of bundle data would be charged at 2p/MB (for 18 month contracts) however I was charged £3.07/MB ! Also (not mentioned in the booklet) I should have had a daily cap applied, however I was never offered it and I believe it should have been applied automatically anyway.

Martin.

• 4 weeks later...

Orange on facebook site have confirmed that for new customers as of april 2011 they only charge a daily maximum data rate of 1.00 for exceeding contract fup.

Looks like they dont cherish their long standing customers then!!!!!!!!

This warning that store manager quotes is the norm when reach 90% of data uage, I wonder due to ammount of people saying they were not warned or told they dont have to warn you wether that is new customers only too.

I feel as ornage are happy to change terms and conditions of older contracts, as in truly unlimited was then corrected to 500mb by letter, that surely the data protecion of 1.00 max per day should be available to all.

Why would they bill older customers thousands and new csutomers 1.00 per day for same data. UNFAIR and thats how you ahve to argue, it is unfair to expect such treatment. Not withstanding the fact that the store manager and other reps desptie siging new contract with me had no clue that the 1.00 limit per day existed in the first place, they were happy to use the old terminology as unlimited and ceo office said they are legally allowed to describe 750mb ad unlimited, so there attitude, basically.

My issue will soon be resolved but I urge all to record calls with orange, tell them or not up to you what your intended purpose of the call is, but as they dont protect you by keeping better call records as in notes guaranteed to be posted at call or recording, then you need to do it yourself, because if you get into a he said she said argument, they will play hard ball and say prove it. I was told well its your word against our isnt it by one rep, till I added that the call was recorded:lol:

I could then hear him swallow as if a big lump and then a pin drop, wonder why?