• Tweets

• Honestly you are all amazing on this site, thank you so much for your help and time. ill keep an eye out and only return when i receive a claim letter for sure also, i updated my address with amex and tsb before i even missed payments. the initial address was my family home but i dont reside there. to avoid a bombardment of letters there i have now updated my address, will they send all threats etc to the new address? Or old address?   do you reccomend i send both tsb and amex my update in address via a letter?
    • Your point 4 deals with that and puts them to strict proof .....but realistically they are not in a position to state that within their particulars they were not the creditor at the time of default but naturally assume the OC would have...so always worth challenging and if you get a DJ who knows his onions on the day may ask for further evidence from the OC internal accounts system. 
    • I see, shame, I think if a claim is 'someone was served' then proof of that should be mandatory. Appreciate your input into the WS whenever you get chance, thanks in advance
    • Paper trail off the original creditor often confirms the default and issue of a notice...not having or being able to disclose the actual copy or being able to produce a copy less so. Creditors are not compelled to keep copies of the actual default notice so you will in most cases get a reconstituted version but must contain accurate figures/dates/format.     .    
    • Including Default Notice Andy? Ok, I think this is the best I can do.. it all makes sense with references to their WS. They have included exhibits that dates don't match the WS about them, small but still.. if you're going to reference letters giving dates, then the exhibits should be correct, no? I know I redacted them too much, but one of the dates differs to the WS by a few months. IN THE ******** County Court Claim No. [***] BETWEEN: LC Asset 2 S.A.R.L CLAIMANT AND [***] DEFENDANT ************ _________________________ ________ WITNESS STATEMENT OF [***] _________________________ ________ I, [***], being the Defendant in this case will state as follows; I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in this claim. 1. I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much-reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already written off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimant’s witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment. As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights. This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information). The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party. 2. The Claim relates to an alleged Credit Card agreement between the Defendant and Bank of Scotland plc. Save insofar of any admittance it is accepted that the Defendant has had contractual agreements with Bank of Scotland plc in the past, the Defendant is unaware as to what alleged debt the Claimant refers. 3. The Defendant requested a copy of the CCA on the 24/12/2022 along with the standard fee of £1.00 postal order, to which the defendant received a reply from the Claimant dated 06/02/2023. To this date, the Claimant has failed to disclose a valid agreement and proof as per their claim that this is enforceable, that Default Notice and Notice of Assignment were sent to and received by the Defendant, on which their claim relies. The Claimant is put to strict proof to verify and confirm that the exhibit *** is a true copy of the agreement and are the true Terms and Conditions as issued at the time of inception of the online application and execution of the agreement. 4. Point 3 is noted. The Claimant pleads that a default notice has been served upon the defendant as evidenced by Exhibit [***]. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 5. Point 6 is noted and disputed. The Defendant cannot recall ever having received the notice of assignment as evidenced in the exhibit marked ***. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 6. Point 11 is noted and disputed. See 3. 7. Point 12 is noted, the Defendant doesn’t recall receiving contact where documentation is provided as per the Claimants obligations under CCA. In addition, the Claimant pleads letters were sent on dates given, yet those are not the letters evidenced in their exhibits *** 8. Point 13 is noted and denied. Claimant is put to strict proof to prove allegations. 9. The Claimant did not provide a true copy of the CCA in response to the Defendants request of 24/12/2022. The Claimant further claims that the documents are sufficient to pursue a Judgement and are therefore copies of original documents in their possession. Conclusion 10. Without the Claimant providing a valid true copy of the executed Credit agreement that complies with the CCA, the Claimant has no grounds on which to enforce this alleged debt. 11. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. On receipt of this claim I could not recall the precise details of the agreement or any debt and sought clarity from the claimant by way of a Section 78 request. The Claimant failed to comply. I can only assume as this was due to the Claimant not having any enforceable documentation and issuing a claim in hope of an undefended default judgment.   Statement of Truth I, ********, the Defendant, believe the facts stated within this Witness Statement to be true. I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in it’s truth. Signed: _________________________ _______ Dated: _____________________
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Debt Collection Advice Please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4103 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry R3, been away for a few days visiting family.

OK, CCA requests for each debt will as you say cost £1 postal order.

As regard to the NOA, this is probably a non starter, as you say you have been paying them for the last 5 years, BUT you might actually find that when you send them your CCA requests this will result in them either, not having the correct documents as they buy these debts in large portfolios and couldn't give a rats backside if they have supporting documents, OR, they will say that they have requested them off their client, yadda yadda yadda.... either way a CCA request is defo the way to go, don't worry too much about a NOA, this is normally requested when they pipe up that they want to deprive you of your hard earned..

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Happihippy, it's very comforting to hear that. I've been so scared to do anything for years, I feel so lucky to have found nice helpful people that I have never met in person!

Thanks BB.

I've completed the letters - while the instructions in the CCA letter link tell you to put in s.77 for a loan and s.78 for a credit card, to be 100% clear, that would mean change s.77(1) to s.78(1) as appropriate? The instructions don't mention the sub-clauses and how to change them (I don't want to mention a sub-clause that doesn't exist!)

Here's what I'm doing - won't send until you guys let me know if it's correct:

For Capquest, which is a loan, and which Egg has confirmed they haven't sold on to Capquest who are simply collecting on their behalf, along with my letter offer of £1 token payment + I&E statement:

Capquest

Fleet 27

Rye Close

Fleet

Hampshire GU51 2QQ

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re:− Account/Reference Number XXXXXXX

This letter is a formal request pursuant to s.77(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I require you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreement relating to the above account, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide.

I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit. You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request, the provisions of s.77(6) will apply.

Your attention is drawn to ss.5(2), 3(b),6 and 7 of the Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPUTR).

I enclose a postal order in the sum of £1.00, which is the statutory fee. Note that these funds are not to be used for any other purpose.

If you are unable to comply fully and properly with this request, you should confirm this in writing at the earliest opportunity, and certainly within the statutory time limit for compliance, and return the fee.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

XXXX (signed on the secure strip downloadable from here)

----------------

For Eversheds/Fairfax, who have bought the debts (as confirmed to me by the original creditors), and these are credit card debts: (btw, I've also discovered that none of the original creditors are mentioned on their correspondence, instead, they mention the new credit card companies that have bought the old credit card companies that no longer exist. They also refer to one of the debts as a loan when it's a credit card!)

Sending them, along with my letter offer of £1 token payment + I&E statement:

Eversheds/Fairfax Solicitors

Address

Dear Sir/Madam

Re:− Account/Reference Number XXXXXXXXXXX

This letter is a formal request pursuant to s78(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I require you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreement relating to the above account, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide.

I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit. You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request, the provisions of s.78(6) will apply.

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties.

Your attention is drawn to ss.5(2), 3(b),6 and 7 of the Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPUTR).

I enclose a postal order in the sum of £1.00, which is the statutory fee. Note that these funds are not to be used for any other purpose.

If you are unable to comply fully and properly with this request, you should confirm this in writing at the earliest opportunity, and certainly within the statutory time limit for compliance, and return the fee.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Also sending the above to Barclaycard who has taken over the credit card debt from a credit card company that was bought by them a few years ago.

Finally, for the bank overdraft, just sending Capquest a letter with the £1 offer and I&E statement and sending an SAR to the bank. Is there anything else I need or can send to send Capquest about this? They of course never provided anything that proves they are entitled to collect on behalf the bank (who also told me they sold the debt).

Many thanks for your help and patience - I just want to be sure I send everything correctly from the start to avoid wasted time on my part (I'd like to leave all the mistakes to them!)

Thank you!

sounds ok resolution, the overdraft as you know is not covered by the CC act. I take it that the Barclays one is an old Morgan Stanley,,, post up as soon as you get it as they have been very slippery with reconstructed agreements. The more experienced boys and girls on here will tell you if they are pulling a fast one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Happyhippy1959

Thanks HH - a bit of last minute confusion though, it says to delete the paragraph 'If it is your view that you are not the creditor' if sending to a debt collector rather than the original creditor. I should actually leave in that paragraph for both, is that correct? Capquest and Eversheds are both debt collectors, I realise that I left it out for Capquest (as they haven't bought the debt from Egg).

Thank you.

Yes R3, you delete that para if you are sending the CCA request to the original creditor (OC) so for instance if I were to send a CCA to my bank for a credit card, I would delete that para, as I know they are the owner of the account.

As for everything else, your good to go! If you don't send them recorded delivery, then the VERY least MUST be 2nd class and obtain "proof of posting" from the Post Office counter, which is free.

If you do send it recorded delivery then they have 12 'working' days starting from the day "after" they received your request. If you send it anything else then it is 14 working days.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Great, thanks BB, so I will put that paragraph back in for the Capquest one as I had taken it out.

I have unearthed more stuff... Going through all my old Capquest and Eversheds letters.

Capquest/bank overdraft: all their correspondence quotes the wrong bank account number! Had I not been so blinded by fear, I would have spotted this 3 years ago when they bought this debt. Does that help me in any way now? Do I need to add something about this in the £1 offer letter for the overdraft?

Eversheds: same - the credit card numbers they quote (one of which the idiots say is a loan but has a credit card number!) are also incorrect, I'm guessing this is because they don't actually know the real credit card numbers?

Thanks again.

It's looking good resolution, think about it, if they can't even get the debt account right in the first place what's the chances of them having the correct paperwork!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's a you taking the fight to them now... Like you I buried my head in the sand and let them push me around for two years, £40,000 unsecured debt after my marriage break up, now most of them are sorted, token payments and still the roof over me head just about. (me and BB having a run in with Marlins at the moment but hey it's nice to keep BB's letter writing skills up to speed) heee Fredricksons have raised there ugly head on a store card I forgot all about but hey, hitting them with a SAR to see what's occurring, seems to have risen by £400 in 18 months hmmmmmm I am sure BB and co here on CAG are just tamping at the leash ready to go when they see this kind of under handed dirty pond life trying all sorts of dodgy tactics. As I said, thought Debt Collectors had loads of power before i stumbled across this great site.

Keeping me fingers crossed for you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Happyhippy1959

Thanks HH, wish you best of luck with yours too.

The bank account is the only one they have the wrong number for. For the others, the credit card companies have changed hands, so I'm really hoping they won't have that or find it (one of the original companies has closed down).

Will see if BB has any thoughts on whether I need to add anything about incorrect bank account number in my £1 offer letter to Capquest.

Thanks for your words of support!

I need help fom the other side of the fence if you like. I'm a pensioner and had an accident through the negligence of a property owner which cost me over £200 to replace my spectacles.. I found the owner of the properties name from electoral roll and sent him the bill. Letters were opened and then returned as unknown. I did a further check on the name & eventually started small claims. I contacted mediators as is necessary before Court action, in every case the person has ignored letters and also returned Court letters. I was given judgement by default but still can't get my money. This property is a large business/hotel but they just deny any knowledge of the owner as listed on electoral roll. What's next step, obviously I have no finances and this small amount is important to me. Can I get the judgement altered so its against the property not the owner. Can I just go into this hotel and take property of the value. How do I find out where the owner actually lives as it would appear he does not live on the premises. I think it's wrong that Courts do not enforce small claims. Help or comments appreciated.

I need help fom the other side of the fence if you like. I'm a pensioner and had an accident through the negligence of a property owner which cost me over £200 to replace my spectacles.. I found the owner of the properties name from electoral roll and sent him the bill. Letters were opened and then returned as unknown. I did a further check on the name & eventually started small claims. I contacted mediators as is necessary before Court action, in every case the person has ignored letters and also returned Court letters. I was given judgement by default but still can't get my money. This property is a large business/hotel but they just deny any knowledge of the owner as listed on electoral roll. What's next step, obviously I have no finances and this small amount is important to me. Can I get the judgement altered so its against the property not the owner. Can I just go into this hotel and take property of the value. How do I find out where the owner actually lives as it would appear he does not live on the premises. I think it's wrong that Courts do not enforce small claims. Help or comments appreciated.

Is this a local property? My first thoughts would be to give the local press a ring, especially if this is a hotel or a business that depends on the public to keep them going, there is nothing like bad press to help eek out the help.

Also, ask the court for advice on how to enforce the judgement, you yourself CANNOT go in there and remove goods to the value of as you DO NOT have the required insurance or legal liability to back you up, all this will do is get you arrested for theft, and that will not be a good thing.

The courts will advise how to go about collecting the money for you, it might even mean using court certified bailiffs to go and remove goods to the value of.

Hi everyone,

Sending everything off today, just wondering if Capquest not having the correct account number on letters about the overdraft is of any use to me at this stage before I write off to them?

Many thanks

It depends on what they have done with the OD, has this been rolled into other debts?

It is more than likely Cr@pquests own ref number.

It hasn't been rolled in with other debts, and it has a separate Capquest Ref. No. used for correspondence. It says Bank Account No. xxxxxxxx with the right amount of digits for a current account, just not mine.

Thats OK then, it will usually be their own ref number and not necessarily that of the account you had. But any correspondence you send them regarding this should ALWAYS show their ref number and not that of the original acct.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

So after a bit of silence from me, here's an update.

Further to coming on here I also found out I qualify for help from the CLA who wrote off to the creditors and debt collectors on my behalf, requesting CCAs etc. The Egg one came back and the CLA said that in their opinion it is not properly drawn up and that I have a case to argue that it is unenforceable. Surprise surprise, Egg has also sold the debt on since they received the CCA request!! I am still waiting for the CCAs for the other debts but as they're over 10 years old, I doubt I'll get more than application forms....

Anyway, the CLA said I could have a case but that they can't provide me with a solicitor. I am not sure I fancy going to court to argue this without legal support! In any case, I've already reduced the payments and now negotiating them accepting token payments. I am not worried about them going through the courts to ask for more money as I'm on such a low income that I can't see the court will force me to pay more than what I have offered.

From what I've read on here going to court without representation is not always a great idea - am I wrong?

I'd be very grateful for your feedback please.

Many thanks.

Hi,

Is CLA Community Legal Advice?

I would be very wary of taking a creditor to court to prove unenforceability as it is down to you to prove your case not for them to prove the opposite.

This has been lost before.

If you did have to go to court, representing yourself is not as bad as you may think-so long as you have done your homework first.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thanks Silverfox, yes it is community legal advice.

So now that they've complied and sent what I requested, is it just a matter of negotiating the reduced payment? I don't want to go to court to argue enforceability, I was just hoping that I could somehow use this to keep them from taking me to court. I intend to keep up the token repayments until I can either pay more or if not, I've still not ruled out bankruptcy, though I'm leaving it as a last resort. Just a bit confused now as I'm wondering what else I can get out of having ordered the CCA.

Thank you

Yes the enforceability argument is a difficult one to prove, however, by paying them 'something' rather than nothing will in the long run, go in your favour, "IF" they ever do decide to take you to court.

If all you can afford to pay is the token payment of £1 a month, then so be it, you do not need to get them to agree, just pay it, however, you might consider sending in the same envelope as you offer of token payments an income & expenditure form, this can be successfully used to your advantage, but use one from here or off national debtline website, NOT their pathetic abacus based forms.

Thanks BB - in any case, that's all they're getting from me. Threats of court don't bother me in the least anymore, I have nothing more to give them, court or not. From what I've understood, if ever they do apply through the court for more payment, if the court says that's all I can pay, they rarely ever try again to get more money through the court. I've gone as far as I can go with worrying about all this and now I'm done!

What is then the advantage of requesting CCAs? Has the perspective on this changed from a couple of years ago? The posts I was reading on here a while back often sounded like this could be a tool to fight debt collectors off with, but the feedback I'm getting now is quite different. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this?

Many thanks

Yes the argument has changed somewhat in the last few years, in that they can supply you with a recon version of your agreement, and even produce a recon in court and it could then be deemed enforceable by the DJ.

However, if you request it, and they reply with nothing or even better written evidence that they do not nor can they provide you with one, then you are in a much stronger position to offer them a F&F payment and be shot of it.