Capital One "Agreement" - Valid? Help Please!

Halibutt
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4219 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and I STILL haven't received a copy of Lowell's complaints procedures/info/leaflets, despite having requested them in writing three times and verbally twice.

I'm getting to the stage where I wouldn't mind them trying to take me to court - I have absolutely nothing to lose, but now have a mountain of ammunition against them for poor/deceptive practices, harassment, non-compliance, etc.

I'll update as and when :)

Hi H

I had a similar situation with MH on behalf of a third part Trading Standards took very strong line

about non provision of complaints procedures.

Might be worth trying on Lowlife.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

• 1 month later...

Any recent developments Hali?

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

• 2 months later...

I have have been playing letter ping-pong with Lowell Portfolio for over a year. They've harassed my family by phone, auto-dialler, letter, threats of doorstepping (is that like "teabagging"?) etc.

Thanks to CAG, I was able to politely but firmly state my position and clearly set out my argument against them and show that I now know my rights.

Until a couple of months ago, I was still getting a couple of letters a week, so, after reading through various threads here and taking the kind advice of many Admins and friends here, I decided to compose my own letter. Haven't heard from Lowlifes for two months now:

Lowell Financial

PO Box 511

Bradley Stoke

Bristol

BS34 9BH

By Royal Mail Recorded Delivery

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Reference Number 123456789– Account In Serious Dispute

Thank you for your letter, dated xxth xxxxxxxxxx 2011 in which you asked me to contact you regarding repayment proposals.

Unfortunately, I am currently not sure which part of your company I should be responding to, as I have recently discovered that “Red Debt Collection” and “Hamptons Legal” are actually both parts of your company. You had previously led me to believe that the aforementioned were separate entities. I would assert that this is at best, misleading and at worst, deliberate deception on your part.

"Red Debt Collection" have told me in writing that they will not enter into any correspondence, "Hamptons Legal" have been making threats of court action and in your last letter you simply request contact to arrange a repayment plan.

As I explained in a previous letter, now that I am in receipt of the Subject Access Request, sent by Capital One, I am now in a position to inform you that Capital One have been unable to confirm that they hold an executable original copy of a signed, dated, Consumer Credit Agreement for the above account.

I trust you will be good enough to pass this information on to whichever part of your company you feel is most relevant.

May I also point out that your company has failed, despite four written requests, to furnish me with a copy of your complaints procedures. This is in clear breach of OFT and FOS guidelines. I would be obliged if you would now forward to me a full copy of your company’s complaints procedures.

Yours faithfully

Halibutt

It still makes me giggle like a Japanese schoolgirl when I see Lowell's P.O. Box postcode starts with "BS" :madgrin:

Oh, and even after that, absolutely no sign of a response to my requests for their complaints procedures. Even if a judge found that I should pay them anything, I think he/she would take a pretty dim view of their behaviour - which is the reason I started all this in the first place...

I also told them in the letter before the above that I would charge them for any and all further correspondence. Just waiting for the next letter from them. My reply will be accompanied by an invoice... ;)

Edited by Halibutt

not having a valid cca does not resolve you from paying a debt where a clear financial link existed.

you need to becareful here.

so how much are they after and how much are cap1 charges/ppi?

pers i'd send nothing

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I've never had any intention of avoidance DX and am happily paying another DCA who have treated me with due fairness and consideration - and I KNOW that if challenged, that DCA wouldn't be able to provide a valid CCA either. But I owe the money, so I'll pay...

My problem with Lowell is simply their behaviour. So now, I want them to prove that they have a legal right to collect. If they'd behaved reasonably, I'd be paying them. However, I'm fed up with bullies. It's people like them who pile stress onto those in genuine financial difficulty, often affecting both mental and physical health.

I was told that even though I'm on benefits, I MUST pay them £32 a month.

I've been threatened with all sorts if I don't comply.

It's simple - if they were polite and considerate of my circumstances and their phone operatives hadn't been downright rude to me, making ridiculous threats, then we could have possibly come to a mutually beneficial agreement.

Oh, and they say I owe just over £1,000. No PPI. If there was PPI, I'd reclaim that to offset a CCJ after the event - I have nothing, they can take nothing. A CCJ wouldn't make a jot of difference to me unfortunately :(

Edited by Halibutt

pers if you are on benefits i'd only be paying them £1PCM.

esp as no CCA exists or appears to exist.

i find it hard cap1 did not levy charges

have you got all the old statements

and have you looked at your CRA file to see what the stauts of this debt is?

something smells here.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 year later...

Well, it's been a while since I started letter ping-pong with Lowell/Red/Hamptons, but they finally seem to have decided that I actually had the law on my side, thanks to CAG Team, Members and advice/encouragement.

Here's the letter I received:

Lowell_Admission.jpg

Now, they're even misleading in the above - "Contacted credit reference agencies, etc." - well that would do no good as the default was well over 6 years ago and wouldn't appear anyway.

I also realise that they may well have passed it on to Robbers Way or similar, but I think I can happily deal with them...

Anyway, balance as far as Lowell is concerned is now £0:00 as opposed to £1,400. As a few people said to me, Lowell "bought a lemon."

If anyone would like to know about my correspondence with Lowell, arguments put forward, etc. I'm happy to answer, but in this thread rather than vie personal message (as per site rules).

Thanks all for your considerable help, advice and friendship. :)

H. x

Well, it's been a while since I started letter ping-pong with Lowell/Red/Hamptons, but they finally seem to have decided that I actually had the law on my side, thanks to CAG Team, Members and advice/encouragement.

Here's the letter I received:

Lowell_Admission.jpg

Now, they're even misleading in the above - "Contacted credit reference agencies, etc." - well that would do no good as the default was well over 6 years ago and wouldn't appear anyway.

I also realise that they may well have passed it on to Robbers Way, Fredericksons, or similar, but I think I can happily deal with them... ;)

Anyway, balance as far as Lowell is concerned is now £0:00 as opposed to £1,400. As a few people said to me, Lowell "bought a lemon."

This wasn't debt avoidance, might I add - this was standing up to really nasty bullies and turning the legal precedents they quoted right back at them, though with rather more accuracy/reference/precedence.

If anyone would like to know about my correspondence with Lowell, arguments put forward, etc. I'm happy to answer, but in this thread rather than via personal message (as per site rules).

Thanks all for your considerable help, advice and friendship. :)

H. x

Edited by Halibutt

It has taken two years for a reply ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

good result.

dx

and they

A good result indeed, just be aware of the phrase '' NO FURTHER ACTION WILL BE TAKEN BY US'' Lowell are notorious for selling on ''lemons'' so keep all correspondence safe!!!

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

There's been a few letters in between, a SAR and me threatening legal action and putting in formal complaints, plus a four page letter, detailing their failings and (as I see them) semi-legal/misleading statements, etc. But the whole thing has taken a couple of years from start to finish!

For the record (and with regard to post #1), the OFT have issued guidance on CCA requests that specify what they expect to be supplied against the requirement for a "Statement of Account".

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/OFT1272.pdf

See S.3

IMO any creditor chasing an account should be able to supply a full statement, including all sums payable under the original agreement, and all credits, debits and charges from inception. I think the ordinary man in the street would think a "Statement of Account" was this too. However, the OFT stop well short of this. Sadly - but perhaps not unpredictably.