ESA tribunal and epilepsy - anyone with this condition attended an ESA appeal?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4816 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an ESA appeal tribunal in 3 months time and was wondering if anyone with epilepsy (which I suffer from) had attended an ESA appeal tribunal?

Just wondering what type of questions were asked specific to epileptics and what else I should expect regarding the appeal specific to epileptics.

Many thanks

SD

The main question would be frequency and type of seizures, as if you have no other conditions you have to show that you fulfill the criteria 'At least once a week, has an involuntary episode of lost or altered consciousness, resulting in significantly disrupted awareness of concentration'

Edited by leemack

Hello SD. Are you in touch with any epilepsy charities? I don't know about epilepsy specifically, but I know some of the charities for other conditions have commented about Atos and got involved with claims and appeals.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi I am epileptic. Make sure you point out you need help to go to the toilet when ill and that often incontinent if that is the case of course.

There are various rates of recovery also, I watched a programme alright it was an actor, but he had a dog that would spin round and round when a seizure is approaching, he would then collapse and after a few mins spring back to life according to this show anyhow. It did make me wonder wether thats what people expect of an epileptic to jump back to life as if didnt happen, I personally get knocked for six and often incontinent when happens.

So make sure you tell them how many times and how long it takes you to recover. I used to work and at first when diagnosed they were sympathetic and as I even though collapsed was refusing to go home, you see I was on my own, work had people there, I would prefer to go to sleep upstairs which had a shower room and then make up my time if was well enough, often they would insist on sending me home in taxi or to nearest hospital. You see I didnt know how not with it I was and on another occassion after smaller fit was making mistakes yet blissfully unaware of the situation, I was on diff planet and then came home had another and ended up in hospital again.

As I said employers depending on time of recovery can be sympathetic, but it soon wanes when you are off through illness after being in hospital.

Make sure you tell them you cant cook a meal when recovering if applicable of course and need help to toilet.

I was told by one dwp some years ago when I wouldnt except I couldnt work anymore and I was saying no one will go near me due to frequency of fits, suggested to omit mentioning the epilepsy to get the job then tell them I had been recently diagnosed to cover myself. I didnt of course.

Its a difficult one as I will be going through it soon too and cant see how touching your knees and bending over can show how we are when having a seizure. I did get my son to record me having one to try to understand it myself some years ago and it spooked the hell out of me, I might just take that along and aay you look at it,but I cant. `you see we stand there and unless keel over there and then have two legs and two arms and they dont want to hear doctors reports.

One more thing and I know its creapy, but when having the bad ones I stop breathing, often restart on my own but have needed emergency help to get me breathing also, if you have any of the like tell them also. Last time I looked employers didnt like people keeling over and stopping breathing, mine didnt anyhow as nice as they were !!!!

ps. On a lighter note, those needles in our bottoms do hurt, youll know what I mean. We wont go into the setting myself on fire whilst trying to cook and putting the clothes in the dishwasher and crockery in the washing machine and managing to turn them on, but when shown what done the following day I swore blind it wasnt me xx Funny on one hand, but frightening on the other.

Epileptics are different in their needs as some dont need as much support and can hold down full time work, so as much detail as possible, medical letters etc.... for trubunal should perpare you.

Am I the only one who does such odd things when not with it?

Keep a diary between now and then of seizues etc.....I just dont think atos can see past their nose.

I have heard of a case with epeilptic winning their tribunal so good luck xx

Edited by watchinginvestigation2011

wi2011

many thanks for that and very much appreciated for your insights

I have suffered a seizure while driving ON THE MOTORWAY but fortunately i was slowing to come off onto a 'a' road and wrote off my car. was doing around 15mph's..very dangerous indeed

The thing is this., If you're unconscious after a fit then you cant really do anything whatsoever which is unlike a bad back or a missing limb..you are dead to the world and my memory takes around 6 hours to return and full recovery around 4 days..i describe having a fit as being 'hit by a truck' because it affects every aspect of your being..body, mind, spirit etc etc..they are all encompassing in their impact

anyway thanks a lot

I was told by one dwp some years ago when I wouldnt except I couldnt work anymore and I was saying no one will go near me due to frequency of fits, suggested to omit mentioning the epilepsy to get the job then tell them I had been recently diagnosed to cover myself. I didnt of course.

What a stupid suggestion. You're asking for trouble here.

Am I the only one who does such odd things when not with it?

My dad has twice tried to get up - this was after being pinned down and on another occasion, being kicked in the ankles. He was completely out of it and reminded me of someone who was drunk.

Stalins Dad - with the diary, also explain what happens before, after and during the seizure. Do you hurt yourself? Are you confused? etc.

What a stupid suggestion. You're asking for trouble here.

My dad has twice tried to get up - this was after being pinned down and on another occasion, being kicked in the ankles. He was completely out of it and reminded me of someone who was drunk.

Stalins Dad - with the diary, also explain what happens before, after and during the seizure. Do you hurt yourself? Are you confused? etc.

Asking for trouble in what way?

It was the silly advice which I didnt follow from a job centre rep some years ago. I am not suggesting that that advice should be given to anyone and I didnt follow it.

I am not suggesting such silly advice is routinely given and this was some years ago so a little confused as to why I am asking for trouble?

It was some years ago.

Edited by watchinginvestigation2011

wi2011

I have suffered a seizure while driving ON THE MOTORWAY but fortunately i was slowing to come off onto a 'a' road and wrote off my car. was doing around 15mph's..very dangerous indeed

The thing is this., If you're unconscious after a fit then you cant really do anything whatsoever which is unlike a bad back or a missing limb..you are dead to the world and my memory takes around 6 hours to return and full recovery around 4 days..i describe having a fit as being 'hit by a truck' because it affects every aspect of your being..body, mind, spirit etc etc..they are all encompassing in their impact

anyway thanks a lot

Hit by a trucks about it. Not as if we can just jump up and switch back on.xx

wi2011

anyway thanks a lot

I'm assuming you no longer drive!

What's the frequency of your seizures?

Asking for trouble in what way?

It was the silly advice which I didnt follow from a job centre rep some years ago. I am not suggesting that that advice should be given to anyone and I didnt follow it.

I am not suggesting such silly advice is routinely given and this was some years ago so a little confused as to why I am asking for trouble?

It was some years ago.

If you don't tell your manager that you have a disability, you can't moan when they refuse to make reasonable adjustments (if applicable) and same goes for if they sack you.

Correct best to be honest. I did ask ikea once if they would employ an epileptic and he said well we wouldnt let you drive the fork lifts, hahahahhaha, so I always as much as cant function as want due to seizures live in hope one day things will change, thing is I have been saying that for sixteen years as the medication doesnt do it for me, just when think things are improving I go back to square one. That explains why a lot of epileptics also suffer depression and in my case mental illness which is apparantly linked to same part of the brain xx

Sorry for hijacking op, but let us know how you get on as I will no doubt be going through it soon too, best wishes xx

I no longer drive. Had licence removed even though i have only nocturnal fits so Ive appealed that decision. I suspect my GP told them I shouldn;t even though the law states that consistent nocturnal fits should not exclude you from a licence

Its a vicious circle - claim ESA, removed from ESA, get a job have a fit and lose the job, claim JSA but admit you're not fit for work, get another job lose that and have no income..great life, not. I wont even get involved with women anymore as i dont want anyone seeing me having a fit..depression, yes depression does go with it hand in hand

cest la vie

thanks all for advice