tax credits disabled element....denied

tallica
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4825 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Iv claimed a disabled element on my tax credits for the last year.....then i got married and stopped my single claim and made a joint claim....im still waiting from the 10th Jan to hear about my award....my DLA was up for renewal beginning of jan also, and i have just been awarded again, same levels as before, nothings changed. I rang tax credits to inform them them i was in receipt of DLA again and they said they would add the disabled element on again....i foned on tuesday and spoke to an advisor and she confirmed this had been backdated to 10 Jan when i made my claim, and there would be a payment going into my account friday ( tomorrow).....i then got a letter today saying as im not recieving the higher care award ( i get middle, i always have)....im not entilted to the severe disabled element on my claim.......im a bit confused.....is there 2l types of disability element? normal and severe? or am i entitled to no disabled premium? All i know is i used to get a bit extra before on my tax credits because im disabled.

Anybody know about this? Thanks

There are two types of disability element, yes. The disability element and the severe disability element.

You can only receive the severe disability element if you receive Highest Rate Care Component of Disability Living Allowance or the Higher Rate of Attendance Allowance (there is other qualifying criteria).

The relevant information is here

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Thanks for your reply Erika

I must get the regular disability element then, the same as iv always got.....i was a bit confused as i thought when i got this letter it meant i wasnt getting any from now on!