• Tweets

• Can you complete this ASAP also:    
    • 25/05/2024? That the deadline or the date of the claimform?
    • Banks have different limits above which they require Probate. So it may be Probate is not needed, although as he died with no Will that could complicate things. Is all the £28k with Virgin Money? Your wife should contact all banks who hold his money with the death certificate and ask them what they need to release the funds to her. Most banks have a central "bereavement department". Check their websites. Use that department rather than general call centre or bank branch if they have one. Nearly every bank website has a section on "what to do when a customer dies" so have a search for that. Your wife may also have to provide evidence that she is his daughter. When his wife died it sounds like they had a joint bank account so that's why her money just went across to him. But as it isn't a joint account now transfer to your wife won't be quite that simple.  
    • That explains it then. MET's fantasy is that it's a pay car park.  You're only let off paying if you are a Starbucks customer which you can't be when Starbucks is closed.  'Cos otherwise lots of people would abuse the car park facilities on the far edge of the Stansted Airport area in the middle of nowhere to ... admire the bushes?  Look at the cloudy sky? The important thing is that we have around 140 cases for this site, and MET have only tried court seven times.  Even then, they had no intention of getting as far as a hearing, they were attempting to intimidate the motorists into paying, when the Caggers defended the cases MET discontinued.
    • She's an only child and he as a brother and sister. He has no will and we have done a check on this to find out if he had left one and nothing has come up. He has savings of around 28k His sister and brother are well off so 28k is nothing to them and aren't interested in his money. This just leaves my wife/his daughter. Would this still need to go to probate there is no estate e.g house or business to sell and the amount left in his bank is just small? When his wife died they just closed her bank account and moved her money across to his account and we just assumed that once my wife has handed in the death certificate and shown evidence of who she is the same would apply to her? We don't know yet the council have only just written to us today with a guide of what to do next.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Pioneer travel [problem] PLEASE HELP

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4072 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

No it is a holiday club

As below

Myself and my husband were in Benidorm between the 16th 23rd December.

On the 21st we were approached by someone in the town who asked us where we were staying and if we were enjoying it etc. She then said pick a ticket out of an envelope. The prize was a bottle of wine, she then said "Oh go on pick another" It was a Gold ticket which she got very excited about and jumped up and down saying we have either won a £1000 euros or a holiday for 4.

She scooped us up into a taxi and took us across town. We were welcomed by a women who said she wont keep us a minute and then took us into a room. we were sat at a desk with a women who gave us great quotes on reduced cost hols comared to what we normally pay.

Become a life member of Pioneer Trave club for £5995 you will make your money back in the first few years. There was a deposit of £1000. We did not have that money or afford the lifetime membership. She reduced it to 10 yrs at £3995 and £500 deposit. We stupidly agreed and paid the deposit on Debit card owing £3495 which they were going to get a Finance company to contact us to arrange paying them the £3495 then paying the finance £64 a month.

On our return to England we looked up the club to see lots of forums calling it a [problem].

It was Xmas so I did not check the back of the contract immediatly. When I did I found the cool off period was 7 days in writing. Well Xmas was here and it would not of got to Spain in time. We had missed the deadline. We e mailed the company and said we would not be paying the rest of the £3495 or go into any agreement with the finance company. We said we understand we forgo the deposit.

They have now said they will persue us for the £3495 through a UK debt collector and they always follow through agreements made that are after the cool off period.

WHAT DO I DO NEXT HELP

Do nothing and just sit tight till they contact you again then update this thread. DO NOT speak to them on the phone under any circumstances. If you do they will pressure you and intimidate you, writing only. Debt collectors have absolutely NO legal powers over you.

Steve

Steve

I have had a few letters from them now and they give you a date to reply by but before that date is up they send another letter giving you a few more days but with threats of federal Management Ltd Fees and charges that I will be liable for. I have only written to them (no verbal Contact) and I have told them that the agreement was cancelled and to stop the Harassment. I have given them 7 days in which to accept the cancellation without further charges.

The default notice was dated 24.1.11 received on 27.1.11 and replied to 28.1.11 We had until 1.2.11 to reply, but there was a follow up letter sent out 27.1.11 with another one on way also emails received with threats.

I have spoken to the European Consumer Centre United Kingdom(ECC) on 08456 04 05 03 I spoke to a lady called Laura. If you or anyone speaks to her give a reference number of 87273 and this will build a bad picture of Pioneer Travel and their underhanded methods.

Alan

Alain

Do nothing and just sit tight till they contact you again then update this thread. DO NOT speak to them on the phone under any circumstances. If you do they will pressure you and intimidate you, writing only. Debt collectors have absolutely NO legal powers over you.

Steve

Steve

I have had a few letters from them now and they give you a date to reply by but before that date is up they send another letter giving you a few more days but with threats of federal Management Ltd Fees and charges that I will be liable for. I have only written to them (no verbal Contact) and I have told them that the agreement was cancelled and to stop the Harassment. I have given them 7 days in which to accept the cancellation without further charges.

The default notice was dated 24.1.11 received on 27.1.11 and replied to 28.1.11 We had until 1.2.11 to reply, but there was a follow up letter sent out 27.1.11 with another one on way also emails received with threats.

I have spoken to the European Consumer Centre United Kingdom(ECC) on 08456 04 05 03 I spoke to a lady called Laura. If you or anyone speaks to her give a reference number of 87273 and this will build a bad picture of Pioneer Travel and their underhanded methods.

Alan

Alain

The default notice is not worth the paper it's printed on, the agreement was made in Spain and subject to Spanish law and cannot be registered on your UK credit file.

There are reciprocal agreements between EU member states where cross border actions can be made, but to be heard in the UK it would have to be done using Spanish law. Given the fact that any legal representation they use must be knowledgeable in both UK & Spanish law the initial expense to them would likely be prohibitive

They are willy waving. ;).

See this sticky; http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?250889-Can-I-Be-Sued-For-An-Overseas-Debt

The default notice is not worth the paper it's printed on, the agreement was made in Spain and subject to Spanish law and cannot be registered on your UK credit file.

There are reciprocal agreements between EU member states where cross border actions can be made, but to be heard in the UK it would have to be done using Spanish law. Given the fact that any legal representation they use must be knowledgeable in both UK & Spanish law the initial expense to them would likely be prohibitive

They are willy waving. ;).

See this sticky; http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?250889-Can-I-Be-Sued-For-An-Overseas-Debt

Having given this subject a bit of thought as I have lived in Spain for 10 years or so, I'd like to point out my thoughts. For a contract to be valid in Spain it needs to be written in Spanish although it may be accompanied by an English translation. I find it hard to see that a Brit would sign something they couldn't read and reading this thread leads me to believe the contract was in English. That being the case a Spanish court could not rule on a contract not in their own language. The finance company may well persue the debt in the UK but how would they enforce it. I cannot see how they could, it has already be said that the contract was signed in Spain. I just cannot see any way the contract can be enforced, either in Spain or in the UK. I have previously signed contracts here in Spain and they are always in Spanish because they have to be, though I have be presented with a certified translation.

Someintersting reading here at the link dated 2007.

So it seems that there is little or no protection and the only safety net will be a flawed contract.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6730691.stm

Also I found this so the law is not yet changed.

Unlike timeshare agreements, there is no specific European legislation related to holiday clubs. In fact holiday clubs were specifically designed to circumvent Directive 94/47/EC on timeshare agreements. The lack of regulation of Holiday Clubs means that they are not covered by rules on cooling-off periods, deposits and consumer information. Consequently, consumers who sign up under pressure have little scope to change their mind.

In order to close this gap in protection, European Directive 2008/122/EC was approved last year and will extend the scope of the 1994 EU Timeshare Directive to cover new products which have emerged on the market, like discount holiday clubs. This Directive has not yet been transposed into National Law by the member states and the deadline given by the Directive to do so is 23rd February 2011.

Edited by twofoot

Having given this subject a bit of thought as I have lived in Spain for 10 years or so, I'd like to point out my thoughts. For a contract to be valid in Spain it needs to be written in Spanish although it may be accompanied by an English translation. I find it hard to see that a Brit would sign something they couldn't read and reading this thread leads me to believe the contract was in English. That being the case a Spanish court could not rule on a contract not in their own language. The finance company may well persue the debt in the UK but how would they enforce it. I cannot see how they could, it has already be said that the contract was signed in Spain. I just cannot see any way the contract can be enforced, either in Spain or in the UK. I have previously signed contracts here in Spain and they are always in Spanish because they have to be, though I have be presented with a certified translation.

Someintersting reading here at the link dated 2007.

So it seems that there is little or no protection and the only safety net will be a flawed contract.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6730691.stm

Also I found this so the law is not yet changed.

Unlike timeshare agreements, there is no specific European legislation related to holiday clubs. In fact holiday clubs were specifically designed to circumvent Directive 94/47/EC on timeshare agreements. The lack of regulation of Holiday Clubs means that they are not covered by rules on cooling-off periods, deposits and consumer information. Consequently, consumers who sign up under pressure have little scope to change their mind.

In order to close this gap in protection, European Directive 2008/122/EC was approved last year and will extend the scope of the 1994 EU Timeshare Directive to cover new products which have emerged on the market, like discount holiday clubs. This Directive has not yet been transposed into National Law by the member states and the deadline given by the Directive to do so is 23rd February 2011.

Many letters have been exchanged between myself and Pioneer Travel (Barry Marsh). Letters have been sent every few days but they are posted in the UK. Barry Marsh does not give you time to answer but today have received letter from Federal Management Debt collectors and they have added £800 to what I was supposed to owe. This is obviously a disputed account so can they get involved. Advice please.

Alain

Alan Blacker

Hi We had exactly the same letter today with £900 added to it.

I am going to ignore it still taking the advice of all the fine people I have seeked help from including this site and travel advisor forum.

I am sure we both feel as vulnerable as each other.

I still dont want these people to win so hang in there and we will beat the b*****ds

Great regards

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

two threads merged on same subject

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 9 months later...
Myself and my husband were in Benidorm between the 16th 23rd December.

On the 21st we were approached by someone in the town who asked us where we were staying and if we were enjoying it etc. She then said pick a ticket out of an envelope. The prize was a bottle of wine, she then said "Oh go on pick another" It was a Gold ticket which she got very excited about and jumped up and down saying we have either won a £1000 euros or a holiday for 4.

She scooped us up into a taxi and took us across town. We were welcomed by a women who said she wont keep us a minute and then took us into a room. we were sat at a desk with a women who gave us great quotes on reduced cost hols comared to what we normally pay.

Become a life member of Pioneer Trave club for £5995 you will make your money back in the first few years. There was a deposit of £1000. We did not have that money or afford the lifetime membership. She reduced it to 10 yrs at £3995 and £500 deposit. We stupidly agreed and paid the deposit on Debit card owing £3495 which they were going to get a Finance company to contact us to arrange paying them the £3495 then paying the finance £64 a month.

On our return to England we looked up the club to see lots of forums calling it a [problem].

It was Xmas so I did not check the back of the contract immediatly. When I did I found the cool off period was 7 days in writing. Well Xmas was here and it would not of got to Spain in time. We had missed the deadline. We e mailed the company and said we would not be paying the rest of the £3495 or go into any agreement with the finance company. We said we understand we forgo the deposit.

They have now said they will persue us for the £3495 through a UK debt collector and they always follow through agreements made that are after the cool off period.

WHAT DO I DO NEXT HELP

My wife & i were spoofed just the same in July 2010.

Today 27/03/13 i have received a call from someone informing me that this company was dissolved in March 2011 & to stop direct debits immediately. They also informed me that i was entitled to ALL monies payed, including the deposit & they could get me it all back for a fee of £595.

What detered me was, she wanted my credit card number immediately. I refused to give my number & she gave me the details required to check them out.

She said she worked for a company called (SIP CAPITAL). i,ve checked this on companies house & it seems genuine. Anyway their details are on companies house if you want to check them out.

If you want more details please feel free to write.

DJW

Edited by ims21

My wife & i were spoofed just the same in July 2010.

Today 27/03/13 i have received a call from someone informing me that this company was dissolved in March 2011 & to stop direct debits immediately. They also informed me that i was entitled to ALL monies payed, including the deposit & they could get me it all back for a fee of £595.

What detered me was, she wanted my credit card number immediately. I refused to give my number & she gave me the details required to check them out.

She said she worked for a company called (SIP CAPITAL). i,ve checked this on companies house & it seems genuine. Anyway their details are on companies house if you want to check them out.

If you want more details please feel free to write.

DJW

spam ignore

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I'm in SPain, and know these Holiday Clubs well. As mentioned, they're rebranded timeshare, and when someone rings and offers to sell your package, get your money back etc for a one-time fee, chances are they're sat in an office next to the people that sold it to you in the first place. It's a massive [problem]. As to what you do now, I would recommend sending a lawyer's letter and you'll probably hear no more from them.