• Tweets

• Sunak tried to stop the public seeing this report. Rishi Sunak ordered to publish secret analysis showing Universal Credit cut impact - Mirror Online WWW.MIRROR.CO.UK As Chancellor, Rishi Sunak ignored pleas from campaigners including footballer Marcus Rashford by scrapping the £20-per-week Universal Credit...  
    • A full-scale strike at the firm could have an impact on the global supply chains of electronics.View the full article
    • He was one of four former top executives from Sam Bankman-Fried's firms to plead guilty to charges.View the full article
    • The private submersible industry was shaken after the implosion of the OceanGate Titan sub last year.View the full article
    • further polished WS using above suggestions and also included couple of more modifications highlighted in orange are those ok to include?   Background   1.1  The Defendant received the Parking Charge Notice (PCN) on the 06th of January 2020 following the vehicle being parked at Arla Old Dairy, South Ruislip on the 05th of December 2019.   Unfair PCN   2.1  On 19th December 2023 the Defendant sent the Claimant's solicitors a CPR request.  As shown in Exhibit 1 (pages 7-13) sent by the solicitors the signage displayed in their evidence clearly shows a £60.00 parking charge notice (which will be reduced to £30 if paid within 14 days of issue).  2.2  Yet the PCN sent by the Claimant is for a £100.00 parking charge notice (reduced to £60 if paid within 30 days of issue).   2.3        The Claimant relies on signage to create a contract.  It is unlawful for the Claimant to write that the charge is £60 on their signs and then send demands for £100.    2.4        The unlawful £100 charge is also the basis for the Claimant's Particulars of Claim.  No Locus Standi  3.1  I do not believe a contract with the landowner, that is provided following the defendant’s CPR request, gives MET Parking Services a right to bring claims in their own name. Definition of “Relevant contract” from the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, Schedule 4,  2 [1] means a contract Including a contract arising only when the vehicle was parked on the relevant land between the driver and a person who is-   (a) the owner or occupier of the land; or   (b) Authorised, under or by virtue of arrangements made by the owner or occupier of the land, to enter into a contract with the driver requiring the payment of parking charges in respect of the parking of the vehicle on the land. According to https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/46/section/44   For a contract to be valid, it requires a director from each company to sign and then two independent witnesses must confirm those signatures.   3.2  The Defendant requested to see such a contract in the CPR request.  The fact that no contract has been produced with the witness signatures present means the contract has not been validly executed. Therefore, there can be no contract established between MET Parking Services and the motorist. Even if “Parking in Electric Bay” could form a contract (which it cannot), it is immaterial. There is no valid contract.  Illegal Conduct – No Contract Formed   4.1 At the time of writing, the Claimant has failed to provide the following, in response to the CPR request from myself.   4.2        The legal contract between the Claimant and the landowner (which in this case is Standard Life Investments UK) to provide evidence that there is an agreement in place with landowner with the necessary authority to issue parking charge notices and to pursue payment by means of litigation.   4.3 Proof of planning permission granted for signage etc under the Town and country Planning Act 1990. Lack of planning permission is a criminal offence under this Act and no contract can be formed where criminality is involved.   4.4        I also do not believe the claimant possesses these documents.   No Keeper Liability   5.1        The defendant was not the driver at the time and date mentioned in the PCN and the claimant has not established keeper liability under schedule 4 of the PoFA 2012. In this matter, the defendant puts it to the claimant to produce strict proof as to who was driving at the time.   5.2 The claimant in their Notice To Keeper also failed to comply with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 section 9[2][f] while mentioning “the right to recover from the keeper so much of that parking charge as remains unpaid” where they did not include statement “(if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met)”.     5.3         The claimant did not mention parking period, times on the photographs are separate from the PCN and in any case are that arrival and departure times not the parking period since their times include driving to and from the parking space as a minimum and can include extra time to allow pedestrians and other vehicles to pass in front.    Protection of Freedoms Act 2012   The notice must -   (a) specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates;  22. In the persuasive judgement K4GF167G - Premier Park Ltd v Mr Mathur - Horsham County Court – 5 January 2024 it was on this very point that the judge dismissed this claim.  5.4  A the PCN does not comply with the Act the Defendant as keeper is not liable.  No Breach of Contract   6.1       No breach of contract occurred because the PCN and contract provided as part of the defendant’s CPR request shows different post code, PCN shows HA4 0EY while contract shows HA4 0FY. According to PCN defendant parked on HA4 0EY which does not appear to be subject to the postcode covered by the contract.  6.2         The entrance sign does not mention anything about there being other terms inside the car park so does not offer a contract which makes it only an offer to treat,  Interest  7.1  It is unreasonable for the Claimant to delay litigation for  Double Recovery   7.2  The claim is littered with made-up charges.  7.3  As noted above, the Claimant's signs state a £60 charge yet their PCN is for £100.  7.4  As well as the £100 parking charge, the Claimant seeks recovery of an additional £70.  This is simply a poor attempt to circumvent the legal costs cap at small claims.  7.5 Since 2019, many County Courts have considered claims in excess of £100 to be an abuse of process leading to them being struck out ab initio. An example, in the Caernarfon Court in VCS v Davies, case No. FTQZ4W28 on 4th September 2019, District Judge Jones-Evans stated “Upon it being recorded that District Judge Jones- Evans has over a very significant period of time warned advocates (...) in many cases of this nature before this court that their claim for £60 is unenforceable in law and is an abuse of process and is nothing more than a poor attempt to go behind the decision of the Supreme Court v Beavis which inter alia decided that a figure of £160 as a global sum claimed in this case would be a penalty and not a genuine pre-estimate of loss and therefore unenforceable in law and if the practice continued, he would treat all cases as a claim for £160 and therefore a penalty and unenforceable in law it is hereby declared (…) the claim is struck out and declared to be wholly without merit and an abuse of process.”  7.6 In Claim Nos. F0DP806M and F0DP201T, District Judge Taylor echoed earlier General Judgment or Orders of District Judge Grand, stating ''It is ordered that the claim is struck out as an abuse of process. The claim contains a substantial charge additional to the parking charge which it is alleged the Defendant contracted to pay. This additional charge is not recoverabl15e under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, Schedule 4 nor with reference to the judgment in Parking Eye v Beavis. It is an abuse of process from the Claimant to issue a knowingly inflated claim for an additional sum which it is not entitled to recover. This order has been made by the court of its own initiative without a hearing pursuant to CPR Rule 3.3(4)) of the Civil Procedure Rules 1998...''  7.7 In the persuasive case of G4QZ465V - Excel Parking Services Ltd v Wilkinson – Bradford County Court -2 July 2020 (Exhibit 4) the judge had decided that Excel had won. However, due to Excel adding on the £60 the Judge dismissed the case.  7.8        The addition of costs not previously specified on signage are also in breach of the Consumer Rights Act 2015, Schedule 2, specifically paras 6, 10 and 14.   7.9        It is the Defendant’s position that the Claimant in this case has knowingly submitted inflated costs and thus the entire claim should be similarly struck out in accordance with Civil Procedure Rule 3.3(4).   In Conclusion   8.1        I invite the court to dismiss the claim.  Statement of Truth  I believe that the facts stated in this witness statement are true. I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.   
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Help needed please - Council Tax Baliff charges for not visiting

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4854 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

good morning all, apols for not posting for a while I was thinking about what I should do.

I can confirm that the £130 has been credited to our account this morning, so now I feel able to continue the pursuit of monies I feel that are owed to us. I did contact Mr Head of revenues yesterday to ask for a response to my email of over a week ago, and no surprise that I have not received an answer despite copying in Mr CEO. I am tied up for a bit this morning but will come back and read the post again that HW has posted as it certainly looks like the route that I need to go down.

What I dont get is why they are avoiding the issue - surely they should be whiter than white especially in todays world? What do they have to hide that the Council wont give me the answers we want?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I dont get is why they are avoiding the issue - surely they should be whiter than white especially in todays world? What do they have to hide that the Council wont give me the answers we want?

That is quite easy, the Council haven't a clue and because they believe the Bailiffs are holier than thou, they think everything the Bailiff does, says & charges is correct. A better solution for some of the Councils would be to employ someone whose sole purpose in his/her job is to:

a - monitor this site to see the sorts of tricks they get up to

b - scrutinise more of what the bailiffs are doing

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

well know me over, I have received an email response from Mr Head of revenues and have attached the levy they claim to have made. I am not sure what to do next. and as for the levy well I am just astounded as Mr Bailff never ever attended and we have never seen this notice before, and the details on the notice are extremely scarce considering they are required to complete a minimum amount o informationif he called during work hours the car would have been parked at work and I can prove it as I have to pay for my parking! he called at 6.50am on the morning of 6 Jan because we saw him parked outside. anyway the content of the email is as follows. All thoughts would be gratefully appreciated as I am fast losing steam and getting more and more annoyed with this bunch of incompetent muppets.

Dear Mr & Mrs Very Hacked off

Re: Council Tax

I refer to your email dated 1 February 2011, concerning Council Tax account xxxxxxxxx. Your enquiry has been investigated and I can advise you as follows.

When dealing with enquiries, we carry out a thorough investigation of the complaint itself and the accounts for the customer. This is the reason why we have mentioned the amounts outstanding on your 2010/2011 account.

One of my officers has been in contact with Equita Bailiffs and confirms the dates for each visit and levy of goods as follows:

Amount of Fee

Description

Date

£38.00 Levy 05/01/2011

£24.50 1st Visit 09/12/2009

£18.00 2nd Visit 16/12/2009

£130.00 Use of Vehicle 05/01/2011

Total £210.50

As requested I have attached a copy of the levy that was obtained on 5 January 2011.

Equita Bailiffs have advised that they responded to your complaint about Mr XX (bailiff) on 28 January 2011. I have also attached a copy of that letter for reference.

I trust this clarifies the situation. However, if you require any further assistance with this matter, please telephone the Customer Service Team on 0121 464 8299. Alternatively, for general Council Tax enquiries, please contact the Revenues Service on 0121 303 1113.

A copy of this response has been forwarded to Mr CEO for his records.

Yours sincerely

Mr Head of Revenues

20110208114913494.pdf

I assume this is the first you know of this? My great problem with these are that the Form 7's are not sequentially numbered, this could have been written yesterday for all you know. Also where is your copy, where did he leave that? If you can prove the vehicle was elswhere on the day he claims then stuff him. He is also trying to claim Levy Fee & "Van" Fee at the same time so he is wrong there as well.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My car was parked in a car park in Birmingham City, and I can prove the time I left my office that night so it would be impossible that my car would have been at home before 7pm or thereabouts.

He is also trying to claim levylink3.gif Fee & "Van" Fee at the same time so he is wrong there as well, why is he wrong here?

what do I do nxt PT?

Thank you very much for this useful piece of information I will now file a regulation 46 complaint at county court against Bailiff Mr xxxxxxxxxxxx

1 work in Birmingham city centre i use my car for work(colleagues /CCTV)will confirm on the evening in question i left my place of employment at (employment records will confirm this)

the the travelling distance between my place of employment is (miles) this journey takes approx (time) therefore i would have to have been travelling in excess of 150/200 mph for my full journey home that evening for my car to be at my property on 5/1/11 at (time)

I am also advised that The council tax administration and enforcement regulations 1992 amend

regulation 45 schedule 5 charges connected with distress

do not allow for a van fee to be charged the same day as levy fee

IF it wasn't so serious it would be laughable

A bailiff has put his name to document that could lose him his certificate he did not follow the regulations

posh that up and send something like off to Equita &BCC

pot it up when you posh it and someone will tweek it for you

Hi HW, thanks for the advice, that is exactly what I am going to do this evening, although one thing here concerns me - should there be a time that the bailff supposedly allowed visitied the property? what time are they allowed to call just so that when I put my letter together they cant come back and say that he is allowed to visit at 9pm at night?!!

In response to PT post of earlier today - no i have not seen this note before, he did not leave this at our home, and the reason he didnt was because he did not attend when he claims he did, because he called at 6.50am on the morning of 6th Jan because we saw him.....tut tut....we saw you.......

also I have looked up the regs you mentioned and have pasted it below - is that the reg u meant?

45 (5) The person levying distress on behalf of an authority shall carry with him the written authorisation of the authority, which he shall show to the debtor if so requested; and he shall hand to the debtor or leave at the premises where the distress is levied a copy of this regulation and Schedule 5 and a memorandum setting out the appropriate amount, and shall hand to the debtor a copy of any close or walking possession agreement entered into.

A bailiff has put his name to document that could lose him his certificate he did not follow the regulations - wonder how many other things he has falsified to his employers & their clients not to mention the monies he has skimmed from those he has visited

posh that up and send something like off to Equita &BCC

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi there I have a few questions?

1. what can you tell me about bailiffs working hours?

2. what can you tell me about what should be legally completed on a notice form?

3. can someone explain why a levy and a van fee cannot be claimed on the same day?

4. should the form say what time they called and served notice?

Sorry if it seems that i am a bit blonde but want to put together a comprehensive letter to bcc & equita.

thanks

wu

Hi there

Ist and 2nd Visit fees are legitimate -- even if they didn't actually do the visits unless you can categorically PROVE they didn't attend -- and that's not so easy as it sounds.

Now provided you haven't let these ****bags in to your property and they haven't levied anything all other charges ARE ILLEGAL --VAN FEES, WAITING TIME etc etc etc.

If they DID levy a vehicle there would have to be at least a notice on the vehicle --these days it would either have been removed or have a wheel clamp fitted.

Only pay the 2 visit fees --around 42 GBP in total -- that's ALL you have to pay by law.

It's about time the Councils saw the real pointlessness of using Bailiff's for Council Tax enforcement -- a typical property probably wouldn't have enoough saleable goods to cover typical debts these days anyway apart from Vehicles and jewellery .

Note that these Bailiff's have ABSOLUTELY ZERO RIGHT to enter your property without invitation AT ANY TIME and I'm sure you won't let them in yourself. If they come to yout door just politely tell them to Foxtrot Oscar.

Incidentally seeing off the Bailiff doesn't stop you from having to pay the Council tax but at least if everybody told these thugs to Foxtrot Oscar the Council might consider better methods of collection --especially these days where most families budgets are under SEVERE Pressure.

Cheers

jimbo

Edited by jimbo45

thanks for your post Jimbo, but we have moved on a bit now thanks to the advice I have has from the great CAGGers on here, I just need to get a few answers to my questions in post 84 and I will be away!

Hi there I have a few questions?

1. what can you tell me about bailiffs working hours?

6am till 9pm

http://www.dca.gov.uk/enforcement/agents02.htm

2. what can you tell me about what should be legally completed on a notice form?

for a car make model reg levy fee charge it should not have total amount it should be broken as

outstanding council tax

levy fee £xxxx

walking possession fee £xxxx

3. can someone explain why a levy and a van fee cannot be claimed on the same day?

until the bailiff gains a levy he is NOT there to remove goods he is there to Levy distress

4. should the form say what time they called and served notice?

yes and as in your posts the notice of seizure should be left by the bailiff at the time of the levy not sent when you make complain about fees charged

Sorry if it seems that i am a bit blonde but want to put together a comprehensive letter to bcc & equita.

thanks

wu

hope this info helps

1 Between 6am and 9pm

2. write in the first instance to

The Chief Clerk

Anytown Magistrates Court

Address

3. A debtor must be allowed to satisfy the order following the 1st visit often a 2nd visit takes place and the bailiff carries out a levy and asks the debtor to sign the WP the debtor still has an agreed period of time to pay the debt and it is ONLY after this the bailiff can attend to remove the goods levied on and then they can charge a "van fee"

4. You would be able to attach a statement of truth to your letter which gives all the facts /reasons why you have requested a "summons" be issued etc.

Hi HW

I hope the below answers your questions, dont forget that the £199.50 includes VAT (I still dont know what makes up the £199?!)

Bill for 01.04.2009 - 31.03.2010 =£962.73 outstanding

£98 payment made = £864.73 outstanding

£57 court costs added (June 2009) = £921.73 outstanding

£115 payment made = £806.73 outstanding as of 02.09.2009

November 2010 account passed to Equita - the following happens:

£42.50 costs added between Nov 2009 and Jan 2010 (actual date unknown as there is no correspondence) = £849.23 outstanding.

Hubby calls and makes arrangement to pay £70 each month with Equita this has been strictly adhered to and payments commenced in Feb 2010 with final payment due Jan 2011 of £79.23.

The total amount outstanding as at 1 January 2011 was £149.23p which is the amount that he came knocking for, his levy and van charges were £157.00, so all that added together equates to £306.23

The rest you know.

Edited by Wisingup

Surely the amount claimed to owed by us to Equita should be £149.23 and not £806.23 as signed in the Form?

as it states:

Amount owing Penalty Notice Council Tax domestic Rates £806.23

Bailiff Charges (inc VAT) £199.50

total Amount if paid today £306.23

I dont get this, is it me or has this form been completed incorrectly? or should the form state was the liability was at the time that BCC transferred it to Equita?

i think i am going crazy here?

aaaaaaaaaaagggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Edited by Wisingup

The total amount outstanding as at 1 January 2011 was £149.23p

final payment due Jan 2011 of £79.23.

there can be no increase in this outstanding balance all bailiff fees have been added (1st/2nd visit) the next fee wound be the levy fee(levy fee being £24.50)

I think there is some confusion here, so I gonna try and clear it up. There were 2 payments to go one for Dec of £70 and the last payment due at the end of Jan for £79.23. So total amount outstanding at 1 Jan would have been £149.23. As we didnt get to make the payment before Equita closed for Christmas we wanted to clear the full balance and not just the December payment at the soonest opportunity, when we called Equita's offices on 4 Jan it was too late as it had been passed to Mr Bailff for collection. On 4 Jan we were told by Equita to call Mr Bailff which we did and he told us that he did not have our case notes and to call him on 5th Jan after 4pm (which we did) It was at that point that he added his charges (levy and van on the same date) and told us that if we wanted him off our backs it was going to cost us £306.23, so we paid up.

you could say that we were almost out of the woods with this bill and it was nearly paid off, and as we had a little spare money decided that we wanted to go into the new year not having this hanging around our necks, little did we know that he was going to have the little spare that we had and all of what we didnt. It was tough going for the rest of the month, walking to work and spending what we had with extreme caution. Mr Bailff made our lives a bloody misery, it was the toughest January of our married lives. the idiot he is.

I think there is some confusion here, so I gonna try and clear it up. There were 2 payments to go one for Dec of £70 and the last payment due at the end of Jan for £79.23. So total amount outstanding at 1 Jan would have been As we didnt get to make the payment before Equita closed for Christmas we wanted to clear the full balance and not just the December payment at the soonest opportunity, when we called Equita's offices on 4 Jan it was too late as it had been passed to Mr Bailff for collection. On 4 Jan we were told by Equita to call Mr Bailff which we did and he told us that he did not have our case notes and to call him on 5th Jan after 4pm (which we did) It was at that point that he added his charges (levy and van on the same date) and told us that if we wanted him off our backs it was going to cost us £306.23, so we paid up.

£149.23.

levy fee £27 (if lawful)

outstanding balance £173.23

I understand that what you are saying that if you add a levy fee of £27 to what we had outstanding at 1 Jan 2011 it would equal £173.23, the point is that he did not attend therefore would not have been able to levy and took a payment of £306.23 on 5 Jan.

I dont see what you are driving at HW, am I confused? I not understand what you are saying to me? sorry can you explain? :-(