letting - pet owners

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4866 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi

i would like to let my flat to some tenants that own a cat, i never owned one myself but can they damage the property in any way ? or cause any issues? is there anything i should be aware of ?

i knw some other landlords that mention no pets in their adverts

Is the property being rented furnished or unfurnished?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

It will depend on the cat but most cats tend to claw on furnishings however cats tend to be clean. I would up the deposit to cover any damage to furnishings like cloth lounge suites and insist on a deep clean at their expense by an agreed cleaner on tgermination of the lease. We have a cat but taught her long ago not to claw on the furniture and she has a clawing post outside..

Damage to the furniture is probably a very small concern. I actually find it rare that cats damage furniture unless they are very very young. The biggest worry is what happens if their urine is allowed to penetrate carpets/floorboards/furniture. I don't know if you've every smelled stale cat urine in floorboards, but its disgusting and near impossible to get out.

The best thing is to get the tenants to agree in writing to paying for a full-professional clean of the property when they leave, and an increase to the deposit is a good suggestion too.

It's the clause (no pun intended) in the tenancy agreement itself that you need to consider too, should it all not work out.

In broad terms (and typing at speed here) the clause should effectively be "no cats, or any other pets allowed, without the prior written consent from the landlord, such consent to be withdrawn at any time at the landlord's discretion". My wording is way off, but hopefully you get the gist....

Also, at the outset, get a quote from a few reasonable, local cleaning companies for undertaking a professional clean for the end of the tenancy - and advise the tenants of the same at the outset too. Again, advise the tenants that whilst it is not your intention to use these companies at the end of tenancy - with such costs will be deducted from the deposit at the end of the term - you reserve your position over this... they leave the property as they found it, fair wear and tear accepted, fine. You need to clean through for any reason, you will employ company X at the tenant's expense...

As for me, happy to help out. I am not a Landlord, but I have been in the past. I am not an Agent, but I have been in the past. I am, therefore, a has been, so always seek independent and suitably qualified advice elsewhere before relying upon whatever has been posted here :-)

The best way to vet tennents, is to visit they place where the pets live with the pet, to check there standards!

People may say there clean and considerate, but only to there standards- some people live worse then wild animals and you would never tell and some are impecible.

It a lottery to guess, but there odds are on your side. But if they have lived at the same address for a long period it will give you a good idea how they will treat your place.

"Don't give in to astonishment", which is exactly what you want to do. You want to go nuts with how crazy this is! :-)