Being left with no heating and no hot water with two small children.... HELP!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4888 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi thanks for looking.

I am having a problem with my housing association.

Every time it gets cold my condensate pipe coming from the boiler freezes and the boiler cuts out, I am left usually around a couple if hours with no heating as they send their engineers out the same day.

It happened today and I have been told "maybe" they can get out to me tomorrow, I have one electric heater that I have borrowed off a neighbour, they didn't even offer me them, I have been told though any cost incurred through heaters I have to pay for.

We are freezing here even with the heater and snuggled up in duvets, I have two small children, no heating and no hot water... Can they leave us like this ?

Also... as this happens every time it gets cold am I within my rights to ask that the pipe is moved so it flows through an internal system instead of outside which would prevent this happening.

Thanks x

Hi Taz

This is clearly unfair especially as it's extremely cold, you have young children - there could be health issues. You need to follow this guide from Shelter http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/complaints_and_legal_action/complaints/complaints_about_housing_associations

Give them a deadline to sort the problem out once and for all. Otherwise take the matter to the Housing Ombudsman Service.

Try to keep a diary of events. The Housing Association need to be held responsible for maintenance.

Which HA is this?

Check their website, if you haven't already, with regards both repair / emergency response times AND for complaints too

PM me their details if you wish and I'll have a look to see what they say about such things, although won't be until tonight when I'm back on line - but more than happy to have a nosy for you and see what else can help out with...

On the face of it the HA's actions really aren't acceptable though and hopefully this message will serve as a bump for you too!

As for me, happy to help out. I am not a Landlord, but I have been in the past. I am not an Agent, but I have been in the past. I am, therefore, a has been, so always seek independent and suitably qualified advice elsewhere before relying upon whatever has been posted here :-)

Have a look at this thread too, may duplicate/but may help too

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?287617-Help-being-hassled-by-Housing-Association&p=3232496&viewfull=1#post3232496

Got to go now and best of luck

As for me, happy to help out. I am not a Landlord, but I have been in the past. I am not an Agent, but I have been in the past. I am, therefore, a has been, so always seek independent and suitably qualified advice elsewhere before relying upon whatever has been posted here :-)

From the sounds of it it is probaly a Worcester Bosch condenser boiler as they have this sort of known problem. The way around this to re-route the pipe inside into a basin that you need to empty probably every now and then. It is a temporary solution until the summer when they are not so busy but at least you know you will not have the problem again. Many HAs are doing this at present.

From the sounds of it it is probaly a Worcester Bosch condenser boiler as they have this sort of known problem. The way around this to re-route the pipe inside into a basin that you need to empty probably every now and then. It is a temporary solution until the summer when they are not so busy but at least you know you will not have the problem again. Many HAs are doing this at present.

Hi, yeah its like that but its a Baxi 105 HE boiler, they are all the same though and the guy that came out today said that whenever he fits a boiler he always routes the condensate pipe inside so this sort of problem doesn't happen because they are a nightmare to thaw, however, even though they know of the major problems and its costing them money they won't re-route the pipe which in the long run saves them cash :0(

No, you can't - but these things can be resolved

This was, arguably, foreseeable, so, it was inexcusable - and unacceptable

Call their office first thing and ask to speak with a manager, as you wish to make a complaint - although make it clear your priority, however, is get the problem itself sorted. Have the facts to hand (dates/details etc), but keep it brief and, above all, keep it polite and keep your cool. Post back again once you've got someone serious there on the case for you. Then call Shelter and your local MP too - and post back here

Re: "I have been told though any cost incurred through heaters I have to pay for." Not really the case - keep a log of all additonal costs / time incurred, so can come back to this point later

In the meantime are there friends and family who can help out in some way?

[quote name=

In the meantime are there friends and family who can help out in some way?[/quote]

I wish there was but none I can get to at this time of night :0( hot water bottles and a heater again for the kids tonight, i'm so annoyed its unreal, I feel like crying, thank you

I ended up phoning social services as a last resort because my children were involved in this, they managed to wake somebody from my HA who then phoned me, after taking the details he tried phoning the contractors and got the same response as me Orange Answerphone, he didn't sound best pleased when he phoned me back. He is raising an official complaint for me tomorrow when he gets back into the office, however it is yet another night for me and the kids in the cold :0(

Edited by taz_in_2001
spelling

No worries - and stick with it, as difficult as it may seem now

I know it's no consolation, but, stuff it (nearly typed something else there!), as much as some things go wrong, there's so much that can go right too. So, first thing be on the 'phone to these idiots - keep your cool, keep it factual, keep it polite, but don't take any rubbish. Once done, then Shelter and your MP, then back here, if that's OK

And if it IS any consolation I had to sleep in the car with a friend a few nights ago, in the snow. Now THAT was cold too, but we spent the night watching deer and fox go about their business (flask of coffee and a hip flask helped) and it all turned out well

Sleep well and take care

Edited by NewSAHD
(crossed post)

I ended up phoning social services as a last resort because my children were involved in this, they managed to wake somebody from my HA who then phoned me, after taking the details he tried phoning the contractors and got the same response as me Orange Answerphone, he didn't sound best pleased when he phoned me back. He is raising an official complaint for me tomorrow when he gets back into the office, however it is yet another night for me and the kids in the cold :0(

Just seen your message. Not sure what I'd do if my kids were involved, probably much the same as you. At least someone else is on the case now too though...

Quick query, do you think the boiler is unfit for the purpose.

Random thoughts going through my head, if you have a boiler installed the reason being would be for when it gets cold you have heating ? I am normal in thinking this ? if it breaks down everytime it gets cold outside then surely it is unfit for the purpose ?

I'm not best placed to answer, but Surfer01's earlier reply suggested this may be a known problem, perhaps

When have you experienced this problem before (how frequently etc - rough dates are fine at the moment) and what has been the responses prior to this latest problem?

It comes down, to a degree, as to whether those who are responsible at the HA would accept this state of affairs too - which, on the face of it, I doubt

We can come back to this later, as needed, but do get some rest - it seems matters may move quickly on now, which is no bad thing

As before, good luck, but any queries post again as I'll be up for a little while yet - and others will be along too I'm sure

I'm not best placed to answer, but Surfer01's earlier reply suggested this may be a known problem, perhaps

When have you experienced this problem before (how frequently etc - rough dates are fine at the moment) and what has been the responses prior to this latest problem?

It comes down, to a degree, as to whether those who are responsible at the HA would accept this state of affairs too - which, on the face of it, I doubt

We can come back to this later, as needed, but do get some rest - it seems matters may move quickly on now, which is no bad thing

As before, good luck, but any queries post again as I'll be up for a little while yet - and others will be along too I'm sure

I had the boiler put in by the HA around 3 years ago and all was fine until Jan/Feb this year when the condensate pipe froze on coming out at least twice a week in Jan, they cut the plastic pipe close to the boiler and put a bowl underneath it in Feb, it worked fine from then on, I just had to empty the bowl every so often, in April they came and sealed it up again. I have asked for this to be done again but have been told its not their policy now so they cannot do it.

At 11:38am on 21st Dec it happened again, they couldn't come out until today, they came out it had thawed so the boiler went on no problem and as of 11:16pm this evening it has gone again :( only problem is its not just the no heating and no hot water now, there is water leaking out of my boiler.

Nobody can get hold of their contractor as the phone is switched off so nothing can be done

Edited by taz_in_2001
typing to fast and made mistakes

OK, I'm not well acquainted with these things, but it's a problematical gas boiler - albeit with a water leak

Can you get the gas board in to check this is safe? They may be able to comment upon the type/quality of work too

Also, you've got the mobile number of the contractor, but do you have the name of the firm contracted to do these works? It may be possible to trace an alternative number to call. Long shot, but might be worth a punt too

Bottom line, you need to be satisfied this is safe though

OK, I'm not well acquainted with these things, but it's a problematical gas boiler - albeit with a water leak

Can you get the gas board in to check this is safe? They may be able to comment upon the type/quality of work too

Also, you've got the mobile number of the contractor, but do you have the name of the firm contracted to do these works? It may be possible to trace an alternative number to call. Long shot, but might be worth a punt too

Bottom line, you need to be satisfied this is safe though

The company is Bouchard & Jones LTD, the only number I can find is 01443 773010 and then it gives you a mobile number for our of hours emergency which is the number that goes to answerphone both called directly and through the Newydd Housing call direct system.

I have tried phoning British Gas but it seems they are only dealing with customers on their schemes at this moment so no joy there :(

Just looked at their website, there doesn't seem to be anything else there

There are around six or seven numbers on the HA's link that you sent me earlier, but I'm guessing they all get redirected to Bouchard & Jones. Might be worth checking though

As a last resort how about also sending a simple text to the mobile saying something like

"I've been calling you since TIME with regards an urgent problem of no heating and no hot water at ADDRESS. I have young children in the property too. Please will you call or text me as soon as you receive this message. Thank you. NAME"

It may get a response, but seems doubtful, and as difficult as it may be for the contractors (in terms of the weather/staffing issues/whatever) they ARE being paid to provide a service - and all this (the boiler, as much as the weather) do appear, on the face of it, to have been foreseeable too - and, by default, preventable, perhaps

Once the calls are made / text is sent wrap up warm, get some sleep - and be back on this tomorrow. I shall need to call it a night in a little while, but any queries do say, as still up for a little while yet. If not, take care and catch up tomorrow

Surfer01, hi, for my part, thanks for coming back to this

taz_in_2001 seems to be being badly let down by the HA and the out of hours service too. This is all needs to be documented in writing in some way, absolutely, but for now, with time constraints as they are, taz_in_2001 needs to call on the half hour every half hour until this is resolved in some ways. There's barely 24 hours now before most offices/contractors shut up shop for Christmas, so fingers crossed here...

Surfer01, hope also OK to ask, with regards the earlier point over "do you think the boiler is unfit for the purpose"? it seems you are well acquainted with this type of boiler/boiler issue. Is there much mileage here? Your own earlier reply suggested this may be a known problem, perhaps, which could make matters 'uncomfortable' for the HA?

*UPDATE*

Boiler men just came out, I finally managed to convince them to cut the pipe after stating I will go to my MP and any newspaper that will listen to me regarding being left in freezing conditions with no offer of help for two consecutive nights.

HA area manager for my area is putting in an official complaint on my behalf as he also tried the out of hours for me last night as did social services who could not get an answer either so it seems both the HA and Boiler contractors are going to be in quite a bit of trouble once this gets done.

Main thing is the heating is back up and running even though the water now runs into a bowl that I will have to empty, I will gladly do that till summer if I have too to stop myself and my children having to go through this again!

Surfer01, hi, for my part, thanks for coming back to this

taz_in_2001 seems to be being badly let down by the HA and the out of hours service too. This is all needs to be documented in writing in some way, absolutely, but for now, with time constraints as they are, taz_in_2001 needs to call on the half hour every half hour until this is resolved in some ways. There's barely 24 hours now before most offices/contractors shut up shop for Christmas, so fingers crossed here...

Surfer01, hope also OK to ask, with regards the earlier point over "do you think the boiler is unfit for the purpose"? it seems you are well acquainted with this type of boiler/boiler issue. Is there much mileage here? Your own earlier reply suggested this may be a known problem, perhaps, which could make matters 'uncomfortable' for the HA?

I an not really acquainted with the boiler, but there have been numerous posts on other forums about these boilers failing because of the condenser pipoe freezing up. Not fit for purpose and also goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.