• Tweets

• What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
    • he Fraser group own Robin park in Wigan. The CEO's email  is  [email protected]
    • Yes, it was, but in practice we've found time after time that judges will not rule against PPCs solely on the lack of PP.  They should - but they don't.  We include illegal signage in WSs, but more as a tactic to show the PPC up as spvis rather than in the hope that the judge will act on that one point alone. But sue them for what?  They haven't really done much apart from sending you stupid letters. Breach of GDPR?  It could be argued they knew you had Supremacy of Contact but it's a a long shot. Trespass to your vehicle?  I know someone on the Parking Prankster blog did that but it's one case out of thousands. Surely best to defy them and put the onus on them to sue you.  Make them carry the risk.  And if they finally do - smash them. If you want, I suppose you could have a laugh at the MA's expense.  Tell them about the criminality they have endorsed and give them 24 hours to have your tickets cancelled and have the signs removed - otherwise you will contact the council to start enforcement for breach of planning permission.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Hilesden securities court papers received ** Discontinued ***

john
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4439 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

vicky:-

Good news the discontinuance eh :)

yes it is great news. It has been very draining especially over christmas and I don't know what I'll do with my time now!!!! Mbna has made an agreement in my personal credit card problem, and paid me £50 compo, I've sorted my daughters court summons and mitigating circumstances for a speeding fine non-payment and got it reduced to less than the original fine??? John's is now over, bar the costs, and I can't thank everyone enough, so thank you citizenB.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Everything that you have had to pay out for comes under your disbursements, your time to and from Court is also chargeable together with your time researching, preparing etc etc

and yes, send it to Alpins (or whoever was quoted on the N1 for service)

You are entitled to your costs by way of CPR, at this stage the case was not allocated therefore SCT costs do not apply.

The slight 'downer' is that it has not gone away - with permission, they could issue a new N1 and start again BUT keep all your paperwork for this claim as you would use that to object to them obtaining permission to have another go.

Saying that, the Court may well ignore the discontinuance and throw the claim out which would be even better for you (but I doubt it :( )

If you find my advice helpful - please click on my scales

<<<<<< - they're over there!

Well, it's a funny black star now ...

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

Strictly speaking (well not even strictly actually) they are liable to your costs under CPR38.6(1)

It is not a wasted costs application which is something else entirely and is only really needed if the claim had been allocated to Small Claims Track as then CPR38.6 doesn't apply

Liability for costs

(1) Unless the court orders otherwise, a claimant who discontinues is liable for the costs which a defendant against whom the claimant discontinues incurred on or before the date on which notice of discontinuance was served on the defendant.

(2) If proceedings are only partly discontinued –

(a) the claimant is liable under paragraph (1) for costs relating only to the part of the proceedings which he is discontinuing; and

(b) unless the court orders otherwise, the costs which the claimant is liable to pay must not be assessed until the conclusion of the rest of the proceedings.

(3) This rule does not apply to claims allocated to the small claims track.

(Rule 44.12 provides for the basis of assessment where the right to costs arises on discontinuance and contains provisions about when a costs order is deemed to have been made and applying for an order under section 194(3) of the Legal Services Act 2007)

So you just write to them asking for your costs under CPR38.6(1)

detail your 'reasonable' costs

Assure them, that if they refuse your reasonable costs then you will not hesitate to make an application to Court for your full costs to be assessed on an indemnity basis

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

you send it to the solicitors - and yes, very much so - Google it

Vicky:-

Discontinuance recieved by court now. Is that it? Apart from filing everything and submitting costs does anything else have to be done, please?

Off topic but is there anywhere/one on CAG to give advice on a conveyancing surveying issue? Thanks

That's it - you don't have to contact the Court again now at all

The costs go straight to the other side - they are not wasted costs, just normal costs of the action which they are fully liable for.

Nothing to stop you getting some quotes from local solicitors and then pitching your costs at 2/3rd of that.

Remember, these are not 'wasted costs' these are the costs the losing party pays to the winning party for no other reason other than they have lost, so there is no need to prove any vexatiousness or anything like that.

If they refuse they will generally come back with an offer, then negotiate an agreed settlement - if that doesn't happen then you can apply to Court for a detailed assessment which will give the Court the opportunity to show their displeasure at their time being wasted by the Claimant as well.

cant's help with the other though.

NGEddie's case has got good detail - I think he got £650 - another recent discontinued case got a 4 figure settlement of costs for a LiP but also a gagging order so I can't say more, but you get the picture.

The latter case was more complicated than yours I think NGEddies was similar although even that had progressed a little further.

Vicky:-

I have claimed the taxi fare to court and back. I have a regular driver as I am disabled so know it is a reasonable cost for the distance. Can I also claim for the time taken to do this, as it is at least an hour of my time every time I have had to go? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Rang back Hillesdens as requested. Eventually put through to DLC. They say they will never pay the costs I have submitted, they know nothing about any N244 application, and they are not liable for any costs after the allocation questionnaire. They offered £100. I said I will not accept that, (my out of pocket expenses are more) and I am quite willing to go back to court. They said they don't want it to go to court and want to come to some agreement. I said to put everything in writing as I do not want to communicate by telephone. Any ideas?

They are liable for full costs. Write back to them (and you could cc the Court Manager) explaining that you find their offer of £100 derisory and insulting and clearly trying to take advantage of you as a LiP.

Reiterate that your costs were reasonable and fall well short of what they would have had to pay had you been represented.

I would PM Undercover Elsa, for the letter writing she does some brilliant ones :)

nope and, of course they knew about it - why do you think they discontinued? because they couldn't comply with the Order from your application!! where do they think the Order came from :lol:

whoever John spoke to appeared to think it was something to do with the allocation questionnaire as they dont think they need to pay costs after the aq is done?????? However it never got to the AQ stage, but obviously we didn't know that and did a lot of research on aq's, for which they have been charged.

IF the case had been allocated to SCT then no they would not have had to pay costs (although you would have asked to Court to Order them for their behaviour) HOWEVER you made your app before AQ stage and you may remember from my posts that one of the reasons for that timing is that it remains trackless and therefore full costs have to be paid when they discontinue.

Stick to your guns, and don't be afraid of taking it back to Court, they will be afraid as the Court will hammer them (and they know it - they will NOT want it back in Court)

Just been reading through from day one. Great thread, and well done everyone!!!! Brilliant help and advice. What a great example of CAG in action.

Gh, you make me blush, LOL. :redface:

I'll happily put something tasty together, will be back later with that after lunch.

Shall I post it up here or send by PM for checking?

Elsa x

:rofl:

I am rubbish at letter writing or even post writing come to that - I tend to state/argue facts rather than constructing a proper flowing argument :redface:

Post it up at least they will have prior warning to what's dropping on their doormat 8-)

Ok here goes, feel free to amend/correct etc :-)

Case Reference:

Dear Sirs,

Further to our telephone conversation on 3rd March 2011 in relation to costs for the above case, I write to confirm the elements of the conversation and reiterate that all further discussions on this matter should be in writing. Furthermore I will copy all correspondence to the Court.

In précis, you state that you would never pay the costs I have submitted, have no knowledge of my submission of an N244 and that you are not liable for costs after the Allocation Questionnaire. You made an offer of £100, which I declined and stated I was quite willing to go back to Court. In response you stated you did not wish this to go to Court and wished to come to some agreement.

I believe this is an accurate summary of the conversation.

Further to my verbal response, I would reiterate that I feel your offer of £100 is derisory and unrealistic to the point of insult. Indeed, it could be construed as an attempt to take advantage of the lack of knowledge of a Litigant in Person.

I have followed the recommended guidelines and clearly and fairly calculated my costs. Obviously your offer would not even cover out of pocket expenses, let alone reflect the many hours of work and research involved in dealing with your attempted claim as a Litigant in Person. Had I engaged Legal representation my costs would have been significantly higher.

Turning to your belief that you are not liable for costs after the AQ, as I’m sure you must be aware, this only applies once a track has been allocated. The case was trackless when you discontinued, hence full costs are payable, as I’m sure the Court will agree.

Hence unless we can come to a more realistic and fair agreement based on my submitted figures, I am quite prepared to apply to the Court. This will obviously incur further costs, and I reserve the right to appoint legal representation in this matter.

I look forward to a satisfactory response within 7 days,

Edited by Undercover-Elsa

Excellent

I would change "I am quite prepared to apply to the Court" to "I am quite prepared to apply to the Court for costs to be assessed on the indemnity basis due to your conduct both up to and following your discontinuance of your ill-conceived claim"

But there again that would be really sticking the boot in :D

For info

SECTION 15 COSTS ON THE SMALL CLAIMS TRACK AND FAST TRACK: RULE 44.9

(1) Before a claim is allocated to one of those tracks the court is not restricted by any of the special rules that apply to that track.