Enhanced CRB checks

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4926 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm planning to apply for a promotion at work, but because the new job would involve contact with children I'll need an enhanced CRB. The thing is, I have a criminal record -one conviction for theft which dates back over ten years, when my life was VERY different to now. I didn't need to declare this when I applied for my current job as it was 'spent' but obviously it'll show up on the CRB.

My question is, how much detail will the CRB go into? Will it say 'on date x nonymouse was convicted of theft and was sentenced to xx hours of community service' or will it go into deatils of what I stole or who from? I'm fine about my employers potentially knowing I stole but due to the circumstances that led to the crime (abusive relationship, homelessness) I'd rather they didn't know the gory details of everything.

Can someone with experience of enhanced CRBs tell me what will show up, please?

Many thanks

The former rather than the latter - but my advice is full disclosure including the gory details! This gives them context, which enables them to make a sound decision. Theft is consdiered very serious when working with vulnerable people, but the circumstances are mitigation of the bare facts. You don't need a blow by blow account - but I would explain the general circumtances.

So it would be better for me to tell them that I stole to help me pay the deposit on a bedsit to help me leave an abusive relationship? It feels a bit weird - it's not something I'm ashamed of really but it would feel a bit odd working with people who knew that about my past, even though it's a long time ago... :/

Hello there. I can understand why this is bothering you.

For what it's worth, quite a few people have come onto the forum with similar worries and I think there have been some good outcomes. It might be worth a read of previous threads about CRB checks, using the search facility, to see what other people have done.

HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks! I just think it's making that step of actaully writing it on the application form that's daunting - In ten years I've never told a soul about my conviction (not even my closest friend) so to tell a potential new boss and an faceless HR person seems very scary.

I am a moderator on a student nursing forum and this question pops up frequently. The advice I give to everyone as SarEl says is be honest, open and explain. 10 years is a long time and hopefully your employer will acknowledge that along with your reasons as to why you stole the money.

Best of luck

Panthro

Disclaimer: Any advice given is solely my own. I advise you seek professional advice in the first instance.

Hi Nonymouse if you are curious about what a CRB shows on you you can apply for your own. Just go to your local police station & ask for the CRB form complete & return with your ID passport ect. (must be originals) & a cheque which will be about £10/£20. Takes about 4-6 weeks to arrive. Can't really advise on the rest of your query other than to say declare it & keep it brief. Hope that's some help.

I've had 2 enhanced CRBs in connection with my work and have a very old conviction similar to yours.... 20 years ago now. It hasn't had any negative effect on being offered a job working with vulnerable young people presumably because it was a long time ago and is not llinked to the work I'm doing now.

The CRB only states the charge (under the Theft Act, for example), the date, the court involved and the fine. It doesn't give a blow by blow description of the offence.

Everyone's entitled to make mistakes and learn from those.... Be honest on your application.... and good luck :-)

Hi Nonymouse if you are curious about what a CRB shows on you you can apply for your own. Just go to your local police station & ask for the CRB form complete & return with your ID passport ect. (must be originals) & a cheque which will be about £10/£20. Takes about 4-6 weeks to arrive. Can't really advise on the rest of your query other than to say declare it & keep it brief. Hope that's some help.

Do you have a link for this information? The CRBs own website states:

"CRB checks cannot be obtained by members of the public directly but are only available to organisations and only for those professions, offices, employments, work and occupations listed in the Exceptions Order to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974."

Would this just be a request under the Data Protection Act for your information for that particular police force? Do criminal records even come under DPA? I'm not sure...

Disclaimer: Any advice given is solely my own. I advise you seek professional advice in the first instance.

Hi Panthro I don't have a link but I do have the document in front of me of what was sent to me by applying through my local police station. It came from; ACRO (SAO) & refers to section 7, DPA 1998- subject Access. It is dated 01/10/09 hope that is some use to you.

Edited by shimmer1
spelling

Hi Panthro I don't have a link but I do have the document in front of me of what was sent to me by applying through my local police station. It came from; ACRO (SAO) & refers to section 7, DPA 1998- subject Access. It is dated 01/10/09 hope that is some use to you.

This is only the information that particular police force holds about you, this is a subject access request under s.7 of the Data Protection Act. THIS IS NOT A CRB.

The Association of Chief Police Officers:

"Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 states that a 'data subject' (the person about whom the personal data refers) is entitled, upon written request, to be informed whether or not personal data is held or processed about them. This service is not a pre-employment vetting service and applicants wishing to apply for subject access as a condition of employment will be directed to the Criminal Records Bureau or Disclosure Scotland."

You are correct however that this might allow the OP access to the information help by the police.

Oh OK then I'll rephrase. It is a offical document that shows information from the 'Police National Computer'. I received a four page document that show me all the information someone applying for an enhanced CRB can see about me (which was 2 minor conviction from the eighties) it also shows community service order served, compensation cost & no fine. Also show no custody service recorded, no impending prosecution, no reprimands, no warnings, no cautions.

I found the document very useful as I was concerned what others could read about me & also had sort of hoped they had lost data somewhere in the system, but sadly no. Anyway nonymouse wishing you every success in your job promotion

I've printed off a form for the SUbject Access Request today and I'll be posting it tomorrow once i can photocopy my ID and get a postal order from the Post Office.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Ironically, since I posted this message I've been told that the 'promotion' at work is actually the same salary, rather than the pay rise I thought it would be, but it's a great opportunity to get some experience in a new area of work so I'm going to apply. Will let you know how I get on. :)

Oh OK then I'll rephrase. It is a offical document that shows information from the 'Police National Computer'. I received a four page document that show me all the information someone applying for an enhanced CRB can see about me (which was 2 minor conviction from the eighties) it also shows community service order served, compensation cost & no fine. Also show no custody service recorded, no impending prosecution, no reprimands, no warnings, no cautions.

I found the document very useful as I was concerned what others could read about me & also had sort of hoped they had lost data somewhere in the system, but sadly no. Anyway nonymouse wishing you every success in your job promotion

This isn't true - an eCRB includes police intelligence where appropraite to a request. Such information is not included in a SAR With the greatest of respect, you, and most of the population, do not have the sort of records that might be held in "police intelligence", so you wouldn't have a clue what else is in there. Police intelligence includes things that you might be suspected of, or linked to, which cannot be proven and has no "official" status. For very obvious reasons. As we all recognise, at times the Plolce cannot, for example, proceed with a prosecution for child abuse due to lack of evidence. These things do not go away in the official records. They lurk. A SAR will not disclose them. But an eCRB to work with children will. The Police are exempted from disclosing all records - so whilst it probably isn't relevant here, it is important to understand.