Dodgy Deposit Dealings!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4991 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello!

I have a funny query that probably has been covered before but I couldnt find any to get advice from.

I left my flat in Feb this year and when the landlord came round he pointed out some carpet stains on the carpet which I said we would pay to have fixed. we also damaged a key fob that we agreed to pay to replace.

They held onto the deposit for a couple of months while they sorted this out, we kept on phoning asking when it would be done so they can give us the rest back along with the deposit. Eventually we got a invoice from a company in Wigan, even though the flat was in Rochdale. So we got the deposit minus the carpet replacement and the keyfob which we thought was expensive but acceptable.

Today I had a parcel accidentally go to my old address so I went round to pick it up and got invited in for a brew. The new occupier show us the carpet was in the same state we left it and also she said they had not given her a new key fob.

The carpet cost was £125.

My question is - has the letting agency broken any laws with false invoicing?? And do we have a claim for any money back??

Thanks for reading!

They are only entitled to charge their actual financial loss.

IF they didnt perform the repairs, then they arent entitled to deduct this cost from the deposit. Simple as.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I would just write to them outlining the issue and asking for the money back within x days (14?).

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

hmm during my time of renting so...5times altogether, 3times the agent/landlord/landlady took so much money off us, some of my friends even had their deposit taken away completely (1800pounds?) A lot of them are just trying to con the poor tenants, so have to stand your ground.