style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4924 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i have some unpaid council tax which Equita are collecting. At the end of june i spoke with them on the phone, made arrangements to pay weekly, 1st payment by postal order, then they would send a paypoint card to make payments with. Payment was sent, then returned to sender, so was resent via signed for at start of august, signed for on 3rd august. No paypoint card turned up, so rang them today to find out why, to be told that it had been passed to a bailiff and that he is now dealing with it. So, should they have done that, bearing in mind i was under the impression we had a payment plan in place, and what can i expect to happen, i gather he wont be looking to make a payment plan, rather to seize goods.

i have some unpaid council tax which Equita are collecting. At the end of june i spoke with them on the phone, made arrangements to pay weekly, 1st payment by postal order, then they would send a paypoint card to make payments with. Payment was sent, then returned to sender, so was resent via signed for at start of august, signed for on 3rd august. No paypoint card turned up, so rang them today to find out why, to be told that it had been passed to a bailiff and that he is now dealing with it. So, should they have done that, bearing in mind i was under the impression we had a payment plan in place, and what can i expect to happen, i gather he wont be looking to make a payment plan, rather to seize goods.

Sounds like a typical Bailiff trick to make you default before you even start. No good complaining to the Council as I would guess the CT department is outsourced to Capita who just happen to own Equita. Contact your local Councillor and get them to help - he has access to sources at the Council who can help.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the council is St Edmundsbury borough council, the debt is for the years 2002 to 2006, quite a lot of which i was unemployed. They say they wrote to me regarding ctb each time but i never replied, i honestly cant remember tho. Either way, they cant/wont retrospectively apply ctb which would knock a huge lump off the debt, despite me having the dates available for each period.

I've noticed in other threads its been mentioned that equita are collecting on the councils behalf and dont own the debt, could i therefore pay the council direct, and if so, do they have to accept it?

If not, as equita have cashed the postal order, have they therefore accepted the payment and afore mentioned payment plan, and should send me the paypoint card as requested, or am i way off track?

the council is St Edmundsbury borough council, the debt is for the years 2002 to 2006, quite a lot of which i was unemployed. They say they wrote to me regarding ctb each time but i never replied, i honestly cant remember tho. Did you move address at all? Either way, they cant/wont retrospectively apply ctb which would knock a huge lump off the debt, despite me having the dates available for each period. I understand what they say, however if you claimed at the time they have to honour that. If you hadn't made a claim then unfortunately they are correct.

I've noticed in other threads its been mentioned that equita are collecting on the councils behalf and dont own the debt, could i therefore pay the council direct, and if so, do they have to accept it? The only way to do this is via their online or automated phone sysytems - however if the CT Ref No is the same as you have now then all that will happen is it will come off your current bill first. Although they can do it the Council will say they can't take it back and you have to deal with the Bailiff. This is one of the reasons I say contact your local Councillor.

If not, as equita have cashed the postal order, have they therefore accepted the payment and afore mentioned payment plan, and should send me the paypoint card as requested, or am i way off track?

This lot are a law unto themselves and make the rules as they go along - you can however labour the point and ask where the payment card has got to. They will no doubt point out you can still pay in the meantime by cheque or card.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have moved address since, but for the years in question i was at the same address for each year. I started the ctb claims, but they say i didnt provide the proof or forms, but they have it on their system that the claim was discontinued, so if that counts, how do i get them to honour it. As for equita, they're claiming that they passed it on to the bailiff in the month between speaking to them, and payment being received, that is between 27th june and 3rd august, and so its upto the bailiff now.

Current council tax is up to date, and with a different borough council.

Finally, there is no doubt the debt is mine, but equita persist in spelling my name wrong. Not the usual mistakes, more dropping a letter and adding another elsewhere to make a totally different name.

where can i find anything relating to the council having to honour the retro ctb application, just so I have something to quote to them/mp when I tackle them over it.

The problem you may have is the Council saying you never replied or returned the forms - in which case they are justified in their actions. However if you did otherwise then you have an argument you may be able to prove. Asking for a SAR should be your first action and clear the points up.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'll be sending the sar to council soon, in the meantime, a small result. After Mr Garratt of Equita refused to answer or reply to any communication to make arrangements to pay, and decided to leave a removal notice, I spoke to the council, and am now paying them monthly instead.

• 2 months later...

I arrived home this morning to find a letter hand delivered thru the door, from one of Equita's foot soldiers. No time on the letter, but must have been early, as I got in from work at 5.50am, so must have just missed him. Its all to do with an unpaid pcn from Ipswich Borough Council, original charge £100, letter was demanding £308. I immediately paid the fine direct to the council online, and they have confirmed they have received this, and have have advised Equita accordingly, but that I still need to deal with Equita re the fee's.

Now, can they come back and clamp the car, as they were intending, or take goods for the payment of their fee's? I'm going to ask for a breakdown of their fee's as I don't agree 100% with the visits they claim to have made, and also having paid £25, plus £1 card handling charge, towards the debt, to be informed by the council that the debt actually stood at £79 and that they had only received £21 towards the debt, I'd like them to explain.

So, can they take goods to discharge their fee's?

Where is the missing £4 from, the card payment?

And how easy is it to get a refund from the council for the £21 overpayment made today.

Thanks,

Kregrs

I arrived home this morning to find a letter hand delivered thru the door, from one of Equita's foot soldiers. No time on the letter, but must have been early, as I got in from work at 5.50am, so must have just missed him. Its all to do with an unpaid pcn from Ipswich Borough Council, original charge £100, letter was demanding £308. I immediately paid the fine direct to the council online, and they have confirmed they have received this, and have have advised Equita accordingly, but that I still need to deal with Equita re the fee's.

Now, can they come back and clamp the car, as they were intending, or take goods for the payment of their fee's? I'm going to ask for a breakdown of their fee's as I don't agree 100% with the visits they claim to have made, and also having paid £25, plus £1 card handling charge, towards the debt, to be informed by the council that the debt actually stood at £79 and that they had only received £21 towards the debt, I'd like them to explain.

So, can they take goods to discharge their fee's?No! They would have to go back to court. Make sure you get a full detailed breakdown of their fees and that the charges made are legal before you pay them a penny.

Where is the missing £4 from, the card payment?

And how easy is it to get a refund from the council for the £21 overpayment made today.As long as they can see a breakdown of fees showing your overpayment, it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks,

Kregrs

immediately paid the fine direct to the council online, and they have confirmed they have received this, and have have advised Equita accordingly, but that I still need to deal with Equita re the fee's.

No fees are due because they havnt recovered any money. Otherwise it would have been £24.50

Professional property investor and conveyancer

Re: Equita Bailiff visit this morning

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by fork-it viewpost-right.png

No fees are due because they havnt recovered any money. Otherwise it would have been £24.50

I thought they could charge for two visits (£24.50 & £18-) without collecting any money.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Tingy viewpost-right.png

immediately paid the fine direct to the council online, and they have confirmed they have received this, and have have advised Equita accordingly, but that I still need to deal with Equita re the fee's.

I think we're getting mixed up with Council Tax visits.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well it seems Mr Bailiff is adamant he is taking goods regardless. I informed him via sms that the debt had been paid, due to getting no answer when ringing, and requesting a breakdown of the charges, in writing. I plan to write on Monday requesting them anyway, but below is his reply, word for word.

'You will not get in writing until the debt is paid, or after goods are removed. Pls ring me monday'

So what do you make of that?

Well it seems Mr Bailiff is adamant he is taking goods regardless. I informed him via sms that the debt had been paid, due to getting no answer when ringing, and requesting a breakdown of the charges, in writing. I plan to write on Monday requesting them anyway, but below is his reply, word for word.

'You will not get in writing until the debt is paid, or after goods are removed. Pls ring me monday'

So what do you make of that?

If you've got that saved on your phone, I call it strong evidence for complaint!

keep the text. he has openly admitted he will not divulge anything unless he gets some sort of payment, which to me is paramount to extortion.

you can request a full breakdown and they have to comply. If he denies sending the text, his mobile company will have it in record as will yours as received. (They DO keep your messages on record for around 3 months - been there (but that's another story) )

When you request the breakdown, you may wish to inform the company of his actions stating you have "written" evidence, the choice is yours.

:)

OK own up, who swapped the A and I on my keyboard ? :D