• Tweets

• Thank you dx, that is what I intend to do now. I have gone through all the SAR documents, a lot of which I am seeing for the first time! As per my previous post #116 letters and statements alleged to have been sent to me, as recorded on their system notes I have not received. Letters I have sent requesting information and account statements have not been recorded as being received by them, all were sent either by Recorded or Special Delivery. I have all the proof you menrtioned from my files for payments and from their SAR info for fees added. Thanks t
    • In my experience (not with car payments) but with many other things, my partner has been ill and signed off in the past and we have been unable to meet various commitments.  Naturally if you ring the call centre they are going to fob you off and tell you you must pay, that's why that never ever works. I would obtain a note from her GP listing all her health issues plus medications plus side effects, then write to the finance company with a copy of it, explaining the situation, as you have here, asking for a payment holiday. Perhaps mention that the car is very much needed for hospital appointments etc. It's likely the finance company would rather you pay till term end than, chase you for money they will never see, and sell the car at auction for a loss,  You can search some of my threads going back years, advising people to do this for Council Tax, Tax Credits, HMRC, Even a solicitors company and it always works, because contrary to popular belief people are reasonable.
    • Sorry, I haven't ever seen one of these agreements. Read it all and look out for anything that says when she can withdraw and when she is committed to go ahead. If it isn't clear she may need to call the housing provider and simply say what you posted here, she doesn't want to go ahead and how does she withdraw her swap application?
    • Thank you! Your head is like a power bank of knowledge.  Her health issues are short term, due to a relationship breakdown she took it pretty hard and has been signed off work on medication for 3 months. She only started her job in February 24 so does not qualify for any occupational sick benefits, which is where the ssp only comes in. (You will see me posting a few things over the coming days, whilst I try and sort some things for her)  I sat with her last night relaying all this back and she does want to work out a plan, she was ready to propose £100 for the next 3 months and then an additional £70 per month onto of her contractual to "catch up" but Money247 rejecting the payment holiday and demanding £200 thew her, which is why I came on here.   
    • I've looked at your case specifically more.   Term 8bii reads " when, in accordance with instructions from the Customer or the Consignee, the Consignment is left in a safe place" Their terms choose to not define safe, so they are put to proof that the location is safe. If your property opens onto a street its a simple thing of putting a google earth image and pointing out that its not a safe place
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

License Agreement.. unfair deposit charges.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4977 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. I really don't know much about the differences between all these different agreements, but basically I lived in a house where the landlord, moved away, his tenant (and friend) remained in the house and I moved in. We had a license agreement between the three of us. They then turned quite nasty after I said I wanted to leave (after 6 months) being very horrible indeed (details of which I won't go in to!). I moved out over a month ago, I didn't want them to have my new address here so gave them my parents (the letting agency have been helping me, although they have no contractual obligation, they felt they were harrassing me, and didn't want them to have my new address either, the Landlord and other tenant refused to use my work address.) However my mum has received a letter from them today, with a cheque for about £115 (my deposit was £375) with deductions for £80 to have the lock changed (which was not in my agreement), £50 for cutlery (WHAT!!!) and stupid things like £5 for batterys from remotes (really petty!) and £85 for cleaning, even though the letting agent who carried out the inspection said everything was fine! They have said they can provide receipts, which is fair, but I don't see why I should incur these charges. I took pictures of everywhere before I left, but they are on my digital camera so don't know how these would hold up if it did go further.

Any advice?? I'm so glad to be out of there and really want this all to be over, I'm starting to think that I don't actually care about the money, but why should they get to keep it???

Many thanks in advance for your help!!!

What was the justification for cleaning, and whats the story behind cutlery?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

They gave no justification just stated how much and what for. The place was spotless when i left! I have managed to speak to the letting agency and they said that everything was fine as they inspected it. He is also sueing the Letting Agency for not letting him have my new address. Although he seems content with having my parents address now.

As for the cutlery, he asked a few weeks before I left if I had seen a few missing items (around 4- he is that petty to count forks!), I had a look for them and said i didnt have them, and didnt know where they were. we both use the stuff so don't know how he can charge me 2.5 times the cost of an identical 24 piece set!!

The Agency, although not legally involved with me, have said i should be fine, but does anyone else have any words of wisdom??

Thanks!!!

The help I can give is relatively limited I'm afraid.

You have no TDS protection, and as such if you wished to challenge these costs, you would have to take him to court.

IMHO, based solely upon the brief info given above, you would have a very very good case in small claims.

However, ultimately only you can decide whether these are justified costs or not, and whether it is worth letting a court decide whether they are.

I would say though that the onus is completely on the landlord to prove the "damages", not on you to disprove them, and again on the basis of what you have said I think that he will find it nigh on impossible to prove these damages.

I would start off by sending him a LBA (Letter Before Action), basically politely but firmly stating that you feel the charges are without foundation, and that you require the full amount of your deposit back within 14 days, otherwise you will unfortunately have no option but to lodge a civil claim.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Many thanks for this!! It helps a lot. I have written a letter detailing, in turn, each charge and challanging his justification for this. I will also add that I require the full amount in this time frame before taking it further!

Thanks!!!

You are welcome.

Feel free to post the letter (with personal details removed of course) and I/others can glance over it if you wish!

Following your recent letter briefly detailing charges deducted from my deposit, I have sought legal advice. I have been advised that these charges are both unnecessary and disproportionate.

I have been advised that if I do not receive a refund of the full deposit amount within 14 days of the date of this letter to take further legal action.

Below are some points you may wish to consider with THE LANDLORD:

1. You should have provided to me a detailed list of deductions that you intended to make, and the reasons for these. This would allow me to contest any grievances and come to a reasonable agreement with you. You have not done this.

2. Landlords may change the locks to the property, following the departure of a tenant, at their own discretion. However, they are not entitled to charge the tenant for this. As I vacated the property on the agreed date and left my original set of keys (of which I assure no copies have been made) with yourself and LETTING AGENT this is not a valid claim.

3. The bedroom and communal areas were deemed acceptable following a final inspection, to which LETTING AGENT is my witness (I also have dated photos to prove this). I should not be charged for any cleaning of the communal areas; in addition your charge of £85 is, once again, unreasonable. The house was not professionally cleaned prior to the license agreement commencing and therefore I am under no legal obligation to pay for this to be done on vacation of the premises.

4. Similarly the mattress was also not professionally cleaned before commencement of our agreement. I was prepared to pay for this, and made reasonable effort to do so, to keep our situation as amicable as possible. However following your recent communication, I am no longer prepared to do this, and am under no legal obligation to do so.

5. With regards to the deduction of £50 to cover the replacement of cutlery, may I remind you of communication (over text message) that we had prior to my vacation of the property; you asked if I had the handful of items that were missing (around 4 if I recall), I replied that I did not have them, nor did I know where they were. I can confirm that I did not take these items of cutlery. I am also confused as to how you can justify charging £50 or around £12.50 per item of budget cutlery, when an identical 24 piece set is on sale in Ikea for £19.99 (i.e. £0.83 per item). I will not be covering this cost.

6. I am not required to pay for replacement batteries. I’m sure you can remember that throughout my time at ......., I provided all batteries for the communal areas and also gave you extra batteries for your own personal use. I took the batteries that I had provided as I had only recently changed them and required them in my new property.

7. I am not aware of any rent arrears, as this issue was not raised after paying my final rent instalment to you, although you were aware of my intended vacation date. This is the first communication I have had over this matter. However I have been advised that you forward a statement up until the 22nd July with clear explanation. Of course if a simple error as occurred on my part, I apologise and you should deduct this from my deposit.

Whilst I am writing, I would respectfully request that you and .... do not contact me via text message or telephone. If you require a more prompt response than the postal system will allow, I am happy to communicate via email. However I see no further issues and look forward to you fulfilling the last obligation as per the license agreement, and forwarding the full deposit amount I am owed. I will of course return your original cheque by recorded delivery if you request this, otherwise it will be destroyed appropriately.

Many thanks in advance.

Suggested changes or thoughts below in red:

Following your recent letter briefly detailing charges deducted from my deposit, I have sought legal (as this is an initial, polite, letter, I would be tempted to remove the word "legal" - it may seem confrontational advice. I have been advised for the same reason, I would state "I believe that..." here that these charges are both unnecessary and disproportionate.

I have been advised that if I do not receive a refund of the full deposit amount within 14 days of the date of this letter to take further legal action.

Would change this to "As such, please take this letter as a formal request that you return the entire value of the deposit (£xxx) within 14 days. Should I not receive this within this time, I will unfortunately need to take further action."

Below are some points you may wish to consider with THE LANDLORD this letter MUST be sent to the landlord, as he is legally responsible, so I would change this to "Please see below reasoning behind this":

1. You should have provided to me a detailed list of deductions that you intended to make, and the reasons for these. This would allow me to contest any grievances and come to a reasonable agreement with you. You have not done this.

2. Landlords may change the locks to the property, following the departure of a tenant, at their own discretion. However, they are not entitled to charge the tenant for this. As I vacated the property on the agreed date and left my original set of keys (of which I assure no copies have been made) no need to state that part in brackets with yourself and LETTING AGENT this is not a valid claim.

3. The bedroom and communal areas were deemed acceptable following a final inspection, to which LETTING AGENT is my witness (I also have dated photos to prove this). I should not be charged for any cleaning of the communal areas; in addition your charge of £85 is, once again, unreasonable. The house was not professionally cleaned prior to the license agreement commencing and therefore I am under no legal obligation to pay for this to be done on vacation of the premises. This paragraph isnt entirely true, but it will do the job. I would probably add that "Additionally, were you able to claim for cleaning costs, this would only be valid if such cleaning was due to damages not due to fair wear and tear. This is not the case."

4. Similarly the mattress was also not professionally cleaned before commencement of our agreement. I was prepared to pay for this, and made reasonable effort to do so, to keep our situation as amicable as possible. However following your recent communication, I am no longer prepared to do this, and am under no legal obligation to do so.Would add in reference to the fair wear and tear comment above.

5. With regards to the deduction of £50 to cover the replacement of cutlery, may I remind you of communication (over text message) that we had prior to my vacation of the property; you asked if I had the handful of items that were missing (around 4 if I recall), I replied that I did not have them, nor did I know where they were. I can confirm that I did not take these items of cutlery. I am also confused as to how you can justify charging £50 or around £12.50 per item of budget cutlery, when an identical 24 piece set is on sale in Ikea for £19.99 (i.e. £0.83 per item). "Even at this lower cost, as I am not responsible for this lost cutlery, I will not be covering this cost.

6. I am not required to pay for replacement batteries. I’m sure you can remember that throughout my time at ......., I provided all batteries for the communal areas and also gave you extra batteries for your own personal use. I took the batteries that I had provided as I had only recently changed them and required them in my new property.

7. I am not aware of any rent arrears, as this issue was not raised after paying my final rent instalment to you, although you were aware of my intended vacation date. This is the first communication I have had over this matter. However I have been advised that you forward a statement up until the 22nd July with clear explanation. Of course if a simple error as occurred on my part, I apologise and you should deduct this from my deposit.would remove this sentence and put "I will then check this statement to see whether arrears have in fact been incurred, and if so then any such arrears will be addressed." Reasoning for this is that you shouldnt currently give any encouragement to remove anything from the deposit, nor (should any arrears exist) should you prevent your potential "right of offset" to withhold the rent in lieu of the return of the deposit..

Whilst I am writing, I would respectfully request that you and .... do not contact me via text message or telephone. If you require a more prompt response than the postal system will allow, I am happy to communicate via email. However I see no further issues and look forward to you fulfilling the last obligation as per the license agreement, and forwarding the full deposit amount I am owed. I will of course return your original cheque by recorded delivery if you request this, otherwise it will be destroyed appropriately.

Would change last paragraph (other than the last sentence) to:

"Due to the potential unfortunate requirement for this issue to be taken any further, please take this as notification that I will only continue to correspond in writing, as such if you do require further correspondance with me, please do so in writing. However, I see no discussion around the above points, so I do not see any need for further correspondance. In particular, any further correspondance will not delay or change my timescale after which I will proceed further."

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by MrShed

Of course, these are only my thoughts - in particular with regards of the tone of the letter, others will obviously think differently. My personal experience is that "polite but firm" without dropping too many comments re "legal" and the like in the first instance tends to not put the recipient in stubborn "back-up" mode!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again!!

So I sent that letter two weeks ago. He had until today to reply... and hasn't. I'm hoping this is going to help my case :) ANy thoughts on what I need to do now? Do I send him a brief letter informing him I am taking the case to small claims? And how much detail should I go into on the application? Below is what I have so far to write on the web application (do I get the opportunity to attach all the correspondance and license agreement etc do you know?

'I wish to claim the full amount of the

deposit (£375) which was given to the

defendant on January 22nd 2010 as part of the

License agreement (held between me, **** and the Landlord, ****) for (the address), plus court charges of £35.

Since vacating the property on the 22nd July

2010, **** has not cooperated with my

efforts to resolve this situation

amicably. He initially offered £114, after

deducting unneccessary, unfair and

disproportionate charges, of which he did not

give explanation. Nor do many of these

charges correlate with the details of the

License Agreement. He failed to reply to my

letter detailing why I was not prepared to

cover such charges, within the 14 day period

I allowed. I feel this was an adequate period