• Tweets

• when did they (who) inform you there was a 'police case' and when was this attained? i will guess the debt is now SB'd as it's UAE 15yrs. have you informed the bsnk ever by email/letter of your correct and current address? you can always ignore anyone else accept the bank,  Block and bounce back all emails. Block any text messages  Ignore any letters unless it's: - a Statutory Demand - a Letter Of Claim - a Court Claimform via Northants bulk.  
    • I left Dubai 8 years ago and intended to return. However a job prospect fell through. I’d been there for 15 years. I decided to pay my credit card and the bank had frozen my account. There is no means to pay the CC so completely unable to pay when I wanted to other than the bank advising me to ask a friend in the UAE to pay it on my behalf!  fast forward bank informs there is a police case against me for non payment. Years later IDR chased me and after months/ years they stopped. Now Judge & Priestley are trying their luck. Now I have received an email in English and Arabic from JP saying the bank has authorised them to collect debts. Is this the same as IDR although I didn’t receive anything like this from them. Just says they are authorised?
    • The neighbour's house is built right on the boundary so the side of their house is effectively the 'wall' in our garden separating the two properties. It's a three storey house and so the mortar poses a potential danger to us. Because of the danger, we have put up an interior fence in our garden to ensure we don't risk mortar dropping on us. That reduces the garden by 25% which is not only an inconvenience, but it's the part of the garden where we had lined up contractors to install a patio and gazebo which we will use for our wedding reception in less than 2 months. We have spoken to the neighbour's caretaker who is on the case, has spoken with a roofer and possibly a scaffolding company, but there are several issues. They don't seem to understand the urgency. As long as there is a risk of falling mortar, we can't carry out any work in the garden, and unless they hurry up, we're looking at cancelling our wedding as it's not viable to book a venue because we can't use our own garden! Also, they want to put the scaffolding up in our garden which would be ok with us if it was a matter of a few days and they hurried up, but there is a tree (most likely protected by the conservation area), so most likely they can only reach part of the roof with the scaffolding if they put it up in our garden. We suggested a roofer with a cherry picker but they seem to want to use a company they've used before. Any and all comments, suggestions, advice is more than welcome.  PS. does it make any difference that the neighbour is a business (ltd) and not a private dwelling?
    • No apology needed, thank you for what you do I am glad to hear they paid. well done on getting back what is yours
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Very, very, quick ccj from cabot???

andys123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4835 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Andy

Has the Claimant referred to the DN in their WS at any time? A WS by a Claimant with no mention of default would be very weak.

Perhaps you could post up there WS less any identifiable there may be more errors.

Do you have any statements from around the time this account hit problems with BC I understand that they printed their DNs on Customer Statements.

This is allowed and was part of the 2006 amendments.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely no mention of any DN. No statements available apart from a few statement entries/summaries that Cabots have supplied to prove the amount oustanding, these are dated between Nov 2002 - March 2003, Cabots purchased the debt in October 2004. If BC did serve a DN it would/should have been around the end of 2002 - early 2003 before passing it on or at the latest before selling to Cabot??

Can post up their WS later if needed

Thanks.

Have you checked your CRAs have you been defaulted and by who and what date.Bit more ammunition.:razz:

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Looked at them back in 2007 !!!! At the time both Barclaycard and Kings Hill (Cabot) had the balance outstanding in their names, Cabot contacted about it and they informed Barclaycard who then removed their oustanding balances from the CRA. .....but there was no details about the outstanding balance to either of them upto last year.

Ok so on thats basis you have never been defaulted or allowed opportunity to rectify any alleged breach.

In that instance enforcement cannot commence until such time they either issue one or prove that one was sent

or disclose any data to state that one was issued.

Andy

Thats what I thought but I've also read that they try to get around this by suggesting that they are trying to claim arrears only and that the agreements aren't neccessarily defaulted or terminated, although i have letters from Morgans saying that payment is now demanded in full.

Then in that case they will have had to issue an AN (Arrears Notice) if they wish to use that loophole.

Notices of sums in arrears under running-account credit agreements

From 1 October 2008, creditors will be required by section 86C of the

1974 Act

to give debtors a notice of sums in arrears under running-

account credit agreements, together with a copy of the current OFT

arrears information sheet.

The notice must include the information and

forms of wording prescribed by the 2007 Regulations.

An arrears notice will be triggered if:

the debtor is required to have made at least two payments

under

the agreement before that time, and

the last two payments have not been made (or have been paid only

in part).

The notice must be served not later than the time the creditor is next

required to give a periodic statement under section 78(4).

The notice

may be incorporated in the section 78(4) statement or any other

statement or notice under the 1974 Act.

The arrears notice must indicate among other things:

the amount of each of the last two required payments

the date on which the amount fell due

So to summarise - if court action brought against me then a Default must have been registered and served by either BC (original creditor before selling on or further action) or the Claimant.

If they claim that there is no need for a default to have been registered or served or then they cannot have terminated the agreement, in which case it is still live/open and therefore the amount they are claiming is arrears but....no arrears notices served as per section 4.12 (above).

It as to have Terminated to enable litigation.

Have also read a quote which relates to not providing an arrears notice (if thats the route that they take) "The debtor or hirer is not liable to pay any interest that relates to the period of the creditor or owner’s failure (to provide a a notice)" This is phrased from the 2006 Regs, would this apply to my case as they have charged a big lump of interest, about £1800 in total, during the period where there has been no arrears notice, and then subsequent court action. Do I put something in this in my WS to cover the eventuality, as well as the obvious lack of a DN/termination?

That is quite correct I did not post it as I wasn't aware they had charged you, but by all means use that.Agreements are retrospective to the 2006 amendments.

I would be interested to read their WS Andy when you get chance and also to check yours once completed.

Regards

Andy

A rather precarious Witness Statement if ever there was one.Two pages of self gratification and two pages of assignment, no history no reason as to why litigation was commenced

obviously as no DN has ever been issued. BC always issue a DN before palming the debt off so that is very strange.As you state from the Data no trace of a DN or one being issued.

Use that to your advantage and like a dog with a bone dont let it go or be acceptable,a DN must be issued either by the OC or the Assignee.

Nothing really more to add to that Andy, post yours up when you are ready.

Needs to be thinned out a tad Andy and spaced very heavy on the eye. Prior to the assignment is history they dont refer to it so neither should you in any great detail.

Ill take another look tomorrow see if it can be polished if I have time.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Have now received a trial date from the court. WS submitted and their solicitors now have to provide an indexed bundle and we both have to provide a skeleton argument. Unsure of few things so my questions are:

1. what is going to be in their bundle (thought that the meaning of standard disclosure of documents covered this????)
  2. what is a skeleton argument, is it the same as the witness statement or defence?
  3. how will the trial develop - questioning etc, will questions be relevant to our witness statements only

Any help appreciated. The court have also said that any offers of settlement etc that they be notified. Now that a court date has been set and everybody has received the relevant documents, how do I go about offering a payment. I have never intended not to pay what I owe, just dont want to pay the £2600 in interest and charges but bearing in mind the lack of any default notice whatsoever and their right to charge interest on an account that has obviously been terminated and assigned.

Thanks

Just had a look at their Witness statement.

Firstly, they make reference to a "represenation of the NOA" there is no such thing as a representation in law, it is either a true copy or it isn't and if it is then it should be pleaded as such, if it isn't pleaded as a true copy then you should dispute the document

Secondly, the Redacted DOA, in the one sent to me there was a date which conflicted directly with the dates they claimed, (so have a look coz they could be using the same ream of sh!te") as they have redacted the DOA, anything that has been redacted is inadmissable at the trial and if they attempt to show the judge an unredacted copy of this document it must contain material facts pertinent to the case, therefore showing anything to the judge in private before the trail would open up Human rights issues as you would be being denied a fair trail.

The interest that they have applied to the account, does it state anywhere on the agreement that there is allowed any application of interest at 12% after sale or assignment? if it doesn't then they are not allowed to apply it.

andy

As far as I know, the trial bundle is a collection of all the main documents to be used in the final hearing. Depending on the size of the case, it can be a lever arch file with tabbed sections or several files for the larger cases.

The bundle may start with the skeleton argument (more about that later) as a guide that takes the judge through the documents in the case. The first section is usually the 'pleadings' ie the statement of case followed by the witness statements and exhibits. Then a print out of all the relevant regulations and sections of the Consumer Credit Act along with the full print outs of any important case law mentioned in the pleadings.

As I said, the skeleton arguent is a kind of guide to the judge about the case. So there is usually an introduction, a section on the background if relevant, and then the main issues in dispute. Here is where you set out your side of the argument and cross refer to the witness statements, regulatons, case law etc. Preparing a skeleton for yourself means you get to know the case in detail. Remember the judge wont necessarily know about your case - or even the area of the law being discussed, so you have to educate him. It is also likely that the other sides solicitor won't know much more about the case, especially if he a local rent-a-solicitor acting for one of the DCAs from a different town. That is to your advantage.

Hope that clarifies somethings for you.

Doc

Arrow Global/MBNA - Discontinued and paid costs

HFO/Morgan Stanley (Barclays) - Discontinued and paid costs

HSBC - Discontinued and paid costs

Nationwide - Ran for cover of stay pending OFT case 3 yrs ago

RBS/Mint - Nothing for 4 yrs after S78 request

thanks to both of you. spamheed, have you anything to assist me with regards to representations and redactions. some of the representations theyve sent are laughable with no reference to my account whatsoever but can I argue these points in court if not mentioned in my ws, stupid question????