• Tweets

• Can someone please advise on how to upload picture.  I’ve taken a photo of the first page of claim form and converted to pdf but it saying file too big. It’s only one page
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’. Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time. You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID. You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .. get a CCA Request running to the claimant . https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332502-cca-request-consumer-credit-act-1974-updated-january-2015/ .. Leave the £1 PO unsigned and uncrossed . get a CPR  31:14  request running to the solicitors [if one is not listed send to the claimant] ... https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332546-legal-cpr-3114-request-request-for-information-when-a-claim-has-been-issued/ . .use our other CPR letter if the claim is for an OD or Telecom Debt or Util debt]  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332546-legal-cpr-3114-request-request-for-information-when-a-claim-has-been-issued/ on BOTH type your name ONLY Do Not sign anything .do not ever use or give an email . you DO NOT await the return of ANY paperwork  you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform [1 in the count] ..............  
    • you IGNORE THEM. stop being had blind nothing anyone can do to you. dx  
    • 3 threads merged for complete history of your debts. i suggest you re read from post 1 again. what are you doing still blindly paying a DCA on a historic debt?  
    • Hi, I have an old outstanding debt from 1994 due to MBNA for £20,000. The debt has been passed to various DCAs and is currently with PRA Group.  I sent them a CCA letter in January 2024. They acknowledged this letter and stated they would come back when they had more information, however the information did not arrive within the 12 working day scenario.. I have just received a copy of the agreement which goes back to 1994 from them. In their response letter they have stated " Please find enclosed documentation received to date: we are waiting further documents in order to complete your request. We have currently deemed this debt as unenforceable which means we are not able to take court or further action against you to recover the outstanding balance". They then go on to state "we are still legally entitled to:  1.Contact you to ask and repay what you owe 2.Pass your details onto a third party collection agency 3. Continue to report your account with the credit reference bureaux (as appropriate)". I'm at a loss as to what I should do next and would appreciate any guidance on this matter. I am currently paying £5.00 pcm. TIA      
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Capquest sending Statutory Demand..help please -**SD set aside**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4143 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

oh, i'm sorry, but i have no experience in almost statute barred debts, like yours seems to be.

I would advice to contact one of the site team that helped me out in this thread, they can most probably give you advise on this.

I'm sorry that i can't be of much help :(

But i believe you need to get advise quickly now that they have sent you a stat demand...

jellybabe

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great to read of your success Jellybabe! :-)

My partner is in the same situation (received the statutory demand letter) and I wonder (if she ends up having to go to court) if I could go myself instead, to represent her?

Also... her name in the credit agreement is something like "Mrs name + surname" however in her passport her full name is "name + middlename + another middlename + surname + another surname"... are there any grounds on that respect to set aside the SD?

Many thanks!

Hi alvaro76,

Thank you, i would have not been able to do it all by myself.As you can see i had quite a few people here to support me....and am very grateful for it.

As to your questions, i don't think i can be too much of help, as i still struggle to understand all the legalities myself :(

Not sure if it makes much of a difference with the names, but i think you can appoint someone to represent yourself (or in this case, your partner)...but again, am not sure about it. I would probably ask one of the Site Team to help you out. They helped me too, quite successfully as you can see :)

I wish you all the best with this and keep my fingers crossed that yours ends as good as mine did. Keep me updated :)

Hi jellybabe,

Thanks for your kind words :-)

I must say I am kind of s*****g myself with the situation, lol

This may sound a bit daft but since I have not been very active in the forum in the past, I am not sure who to ask. You mention the Site team.... anyone in particular? how do i go about? Many thanks!

Hey again,

I was exactly the same....The worst moment was when i had to actually walk into Court and talk to the Judge O.O

And if it would happen again now, i would still feel the same again...

Really, have a good luck through my thread, it doesn't just have to be the Site Team.....i had a few knowledgable people on here, for example debt4get as above, and many others. Try and get their attention, maybe by sending them a message with the link to your thread...if you have one?Or start a new thread so people can help you better there? It won't get confused or mixed up with my stuff on here then, you can explain your situation better and get the right help for your case.

hi again alvaro,

i just come across your thread by accident :)

I can see you already have a Site Team member with you to help? That is good, you are in good hands. I will keep an eye on your thread, even though i can't be much of help

hey Jellybabe,

many thanks for your advice, keep an eye on the thread I am determined to become the next success story! :-)

I guess is a learning curve to stop these bullies!

take care!

hi again alvaro,

i just come across your thread by accident :)

I can see you already have a Site Team member with you to help? That is good, you are in good hands. I will keep an eye on your thread, even though i can't be much of help

debt4get...may i ask something please...if you're around sometime......

I have drafted this up, would this do as a reply to Scotcall's letter?

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your letter dated ********** regarding the above ref.

I am rather bemused why this has been passed on to you. This Account has been and still is in Serious Dispute.

Also, Capquest should have informed you that this account has already been to Court and they have lost the case with Costs awarded to me.

I therefore would appreciate if you return this to the Original Creditor and expect no further communication of you regarding this alleged debt.

Also, i notice your intention of a Personal Visit, therefore i put you on Notice:

Please be advised that I will only communicate with you in writing.I have noted

your repeated attempts to contact me by telephone over the past few

weeks/months and these have been duly logged by time and date.

Furthermore, should it be your intention to arrange a doorstep call, please be

advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an

appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be

able to visit me on my property without express pemission; the postman and

people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Shepparda nd Short Ltd [195912

Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under

Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if

you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will

be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

Your sincerely,

...i know i'm probably far too polite, but i don't know how else to say this :) I would rather just put down...F*** O** and leave me alone :) LOL

debt4get...may i ask something please...if you're around sometime......

I have drafted this up, would this do as a reply to Scotcall's letter?

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your letter dated ********** regarding the above ref.

I am rather bemused why this has been passed on to you. This Account has been and still is in Serious Dispute.

Also, Capquest should have informed you that this account has already been to Court and they have lost the case with Costs awarded to me.

I therefore would appreciate if you return this to the Original Creditor and expect no further communication of you regarding this alleged debt.

Also, i notice your intention of a Personal Visit, therefore i put you on Notice:

Please be advised that I will only communicate with you in writing.I have noted

your repeated attempts to contact me by telephone over the past few

weeks/months and these have been duly logged by time and date.

Furthermore, should it be your intention to arrange a doorstep call, please be

advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an

appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be

able to visit me on my property without express pemission; the postman and

people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Shepparda nd Short Ltd [195912

Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under

Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if

you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will

be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

Your sincerely,

...i know i'm probably far too polite, but i don't know how else to say this :) I would rather just put down...F*** O** and leave me alone :) LOL

Dear Sir or Madam,

Any references

I refer to your letter dated XXXXX.

I am rather astonished that you are pursuing this account as it has only recently been the subject of a court claim, issued by ???? under County Court ref 12345678.

XXXXX were unable to support their claim and it was dismissed with costs being awarded to me.

I would therefore suggest you have been misled by XXXX and would suggest you return this account to XXXXX.

THEN YOU CAN PUT IN YOUR "do not doorstep me" information.

HTH

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 6 months later...

Hi

Capquest have gone a little quiet now so think it is about time you reported them to the OFT if you haven’t done so already.

Please bear in mind that the template letter on the first page of this thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...=1#post3422496

may not be suitable for all and you will have to adapt it to your own circumstances I.E

You applied to get it set aside and CQ didn't turn up

You applied and CQ agreed to discontinue

You ignored and CQ did nothing

Today the OFT set out some new guidance and sending SD's as a debt collection tool is now frowned upon.

If you want to read it, here's the link

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/consumer_leaflets/credit/OFT664Rev.pdf You can complain by email and the OFT will email you back a form to sign and post back to them for them to be able to add your complaint to their list.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/contactus;jses...1D83BF0004F6EA

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi Silverfox,

Thanks for that. No i didn't report them to the OFT yet.

Thanks for the link regarding the new guidance, this is a very interesting read indeed!

I will definately look into reporting them now.

jellybabe

• 4 months later...

almost 5 months on and unfortunately i'm back :(

Have today received a letter of Capquest regarding this account informing me that they kept updating my credit file (which obviously i knew they would) and that they seen that i have a mortgage how i conduct all my other accounts aswell. Further checks will be made with the Land Registry Office to establish more precise details.This could lead to a County Court Claim being issued.....

They know of no defence to such claim and if i'm unable to show a valid defence to the Court a judgement could be awarded against me.

They are looking for a Charging Order now?????

And the only way to stop this is to contact them and work with them to find a solution and a repayment plan.

Please anyone...if you can help, it would be much appreciated.....quite urgently aswell please....... :(

I'm wondering if to just reply with this letter (as advised by citizenB at that time) i had sent to a debt collector when it got passed on just after i won the court case?

"Dear Sir or Madam,

Any references

I am rather astonished that you are pursuing this account as it has only recently been the subject of a court claim, issued by Capquest under county courtlink3.gif ref 12345678.

Capquest were unable to support their claim and it was dismissedlink3.gif with costs being awarded to me."

I don't know what else to write??

Thanks,

Jellybabe

Yes, you will need to go via Consumer Direct if you email the OFT.

Are you saying that, despite losing in court.. CapQuest are still pursuing you for this account ?

Please be aware that they will only be able to obtain a charging order if the reestablish the claim - win and then you were to default on the judgment.

However, I cant see them being allowed to re issue a claim against you as it would amount to the same claim as they previously lost.

I would send the letter below to them. Slightly amended .. to read..

"Dear Sir or Madam,

Any references

I am rather astonished that you are continuing to pursue this account as it has only recently been the subject of a court claim, issued by Capquest under county courtlink3.gif ref 12345678.

Capquest were unable to support their claim and it was dismissedlink3.gif with costs being awarded to me."

I therefore consider your recent actions as intimidatory and harrassment and in this respect a complaint has now been made to the Office of Fair Trading.

Yours etc.

DO NOT SIGN..

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi CitizenB,

Thanks very much for your advice.

Yes, that is correct, they are still pursuing after losing. First it got passed on after losing ( i did send the above letter to the then assigned debt collector at that time)and now it seems to be back with Capquest?

Thanks for the amended letter, will get that printed and sent off in the morning.

Thanks ever so much

Hi CitizenB,

Thanks very much for your advice.

Yes, that is correct, they are still pursuing after losing. First it got passed on after losing ( i did send the above letter to the then assigned debt collector at that time)and now it seems to be back with Capquest?

Thanks for the amended letter, will get that printed and sent off in the morning.

Thanks ever so much

Send by a tracked method.. recorded/special delivery and keep the receipt and print off the signed delivery slip when available. You know the drill :)

BCOBS

I have yesterday received an email from the OFT that they have recorded the details of my complaint, and will consider this alongside any other complaints they have received with a view to any consumer credit licensing or other action they may decide to take.

Standard letter.. but at least they do have it on record now. It would be interesting to know how many complaints they require before they actually do something !!

BCOBS

• 8 months later...

well, after a long time..i have today received another letter from CapQuest reminding me although they lost the case, i still owe xxxx.xx amounts of money.

They also sent me the CCA and a sheet with details of how the account had been used in the past and how many charges are on there. Also request me to contact them to arrange repayment if i can't pay it all in one payment.

If i still dispute the account, they want to know details of it explaining exactly (plus documentation) why and on what grounds.

Is there any way i can finally get rid of them??

I just don't know what to do no more, or shall i just resend the above letter which citizenB gave me a while ago?

Thanks,

jellybabe