iPod warranty

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5036 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I've was bought an iPod shuffle as a present in February. Almost straight away I managed to get it wet - doh! Luckily it was fine after I dried it out. Fast forward to a few days ago and it has stopped shuffling i.e. it plays and everything works other than that it will only play tracks in order, starting at the beginning each time. Obviously this renders it pretty useless!

Apple won't touch it because they say its warranty has been voided by the moisture sensor inside. Do I have any options other than pay for a repair? (although I've been advised that it would be cheaper to buy a new one)

Thanks!

Best to buy anotherone as its a shuffle, I would think. They are pretty hot on not repairing when sensors show water damage in cases when people are not even aware of water damage, at least you know what happened. Know how you feel, heard a crash on the kitchen floor the other day and had dropped iphone from great hight. EEK

was a bit on this subject on watchdog to do with mobile phones I think. apparently their are a couple of these moisture sensors inside the phone. the problem was they shops spotted the external sensors showed the phone had been wet and wouldnt even send them on to the enginears, It turns out the external sensors could be affected by high humidity or sweat from the users hand. they cannot tell if the thing is water damaged until they take it apart and look inside. if they havent done this inst they do or take it to a repair shop and get a full report. if its not water damaged send them the bill.

if still less than 6 months old insist its pre existing fault and tell them to prove other wise. point out external sensors dont prove water damage only indicate it as a possibility. if you get no joy contact trading standards.

I dont know what these things cost but my find its cheaper to replace than repair.

I was told life was supposed to be one long learning curve.

Mines more a series of hairpin bends.

whatch the vid to the end thats were the relavent bit is.

apple iphone (so I assume ipod) warenties are not void unless all of the indicatores have turned red.

this includes the internal ones so unless and until theyve taken your ipod apart tell them the warantie still stands and quote the statement given by apple to watchdog.

Op is not refereing to iphone, it was little old me playing football it seems with mine. Good point though about the sensors indicating water and the fact sweat does the same, could try and argue, but would think if been deeply imersed in water they will know the difference due to possible corrosion inside and therefore wasting time, however up to op, but morally you know the error accidently happened and not apples fault.

Shuffle ipod is the cheapest one, although cheap is not cheap when accidently broke it. I know what you mean I had an ipod touch about two years ago adn the following day,no word of a lie I accidently smashed it by looking for where I had so called safely put it, under the sofa and neglected to realise the sofa leg could smash it.

I felt sick as a pig. So wasted two hundred plus within week for being so silly. Have a habit of needing to find safe places for things, so safe cant remember where;)

Op is not refereing to iphone, it was little old me playing football it seems with mine. Good point though about the sensors indicating water and the fact sweat does the same, could try and argue, but would think if been deeply imersed in water they will know the difference due to possible corrosion inside and therefore wasting time, however up to op, but morally you know the error accidently happened and not apples fault.

I know op refering to iphone but ipod made by same people would be fair to assume same technology and set up re sensors. op didnt say it was completely immersed just got it wet so could be nothing to do with the problem, usual problem with water damage is shorts in the internals. if no shorts and dried out properly then shouldnt corrode. if apple arnt checking inside as they should then their derilict in their duties, either they havent read the guidlines re all indicaters need to be red or their deliberately trying to avoide their responsabilities. if the dont look they cant blame water damage if the do look and its obviously water damage then they dont have o repair.

Come on sometimes better to cut your losses. What should I have done over smashing my ipod touch so soon after buying it? Blamed apple in some way, said it dropped to bits or just sadly laughed it off with embaressment as I did.

If no one accepts sometimes if we have broken something and know why its probably failed and just get over it, then they will treat other people with apple issue sensors detecting sweat as water damage, surely more harshly.

Come on sometimes better to cut your losses. What should I have done over smashing my ipod touch so soon after buying it? Blamed apple in some way, said it dropped to bits or just sadly laughed it off with embaressment as I did.

If no one accepts sometimes if we have broken something and know why its probably failed and just get over it, then they will treat other people with apple issue sensors detecting sweat as water damage, surely more harshly.

as I said most damage done by water is down to shorts on the circuit boards ect. this happens at the time of incident not 6 months latter. more than a fair chance that current problem is nothing to do with getting it wet 6 months ago.

by your logic most mobiles and portable devices ect will not be garanteed because these things take knocks on a daily basis and all will be exposed to water at some point, the odd spot of rain or not properly dried hands. these things are suposed to be fit for purpose, which means should cope with the daily rigures of the use they were designed for and the enviroment they will be used in.

as Apple said on watchdog. the warrenty is only void if all 4 indicaters have been exposed to water. if Apple arnt checking this, which was the subject of the complaint on watchdog, then this is a failing on their part. op probably didnt even asossiate this problem with getting it wet six months ago until Apple pointed out external sensor and said its water damage, this seems to be their "easy out" and should have been sorted after watchdog got on their case.

No manufacturer will cover for 'abuse'. All the Watchdog piece showed was the certain stores were stating water damage by visually inspecting two dampness sensors (that turn red) at the charging socket and earpiece. It requires ALL internal sensorts to be red before they can claim a damanged handset, as evidenced by the piece.

No manufacturer will cover for 'abuse'. All the Watchdog piece showed was the certain stores were stating water damage by visually inspecting two dampness sensors (that turn red) at the charging socket and earpiece. It requires ALL internal sensorts to be red before they can claim a damanged handset, as evidenced by the piece.

I dont expect them to cover for abuse just accept that these things should be up to normal daily use.

they dont know if all sensors are red if dont open it up in the first place. retail staff making diognosis based on 2 external sensors is not good enough, if they dont let an engineer look at it then they cant defanately say water damage. worse they can say is you are sweatty. sorry I mean glowing.................glowing like a pig.

An expectation of 'normal' is one thing. It has to be 'reasonable' too. I know of no electric items that are waterproof, or indeed water resistant unless explicitly marketed as such.

My first MP3 player came to grief and I hadn't a leg to stand on. IT was protected in a zipped outside pocket, however in the rain, droplets coursed down the earbud wires as I listened, ensuring the water hit it's target without fail! I now use a waterproof aqua bag.

as I said before if she got it wet 6 months ago and the damage was done then it would have packed up 6 months ago. the fact that its stopped shuffling could be caused by a few things like software problems or a stiking button. water damage would be low on list of suspect as I would expect multipul symptoms. as stated if they dont check sensors they cant say water damage. If they look and it is water damage then thats her fault, her responability her loss. but external sensors are their to give engineer a clue not to give spotty herbert at the counter a reason to say no.

Really it up to the op what to do in the end xx

she might let us know whats shes doing if we let her get a word in edge ways.

my advice as in all things dont let the bu###rs fob you off.

she might let us know whats shes doing if we let her get a word in edge ways.

my advice as in all things dont let the bu###rs fob you off.

Word in edgeways:eek:

You must be refering to yourself there bigsteve:razz::razz: