cctv data protection

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5056 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi guys i would like some advice please on the following, a friend is facing a disciplinary based on cctv evidence at work, now while we are confident that my freind will be cleared at the hearing i am concerned that a senior manager veiwed the cctv with other collegues in the staff office and made comments to other collegues, does this breach any data laws?. thanks

Hello uncle buck. I'm not sure this is well-defined from my own online research. I believe CCTV at work is covered by the Information Commissioner's Office [iCO] if you would like to check the website. They also have a helpline.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

As far as I am aware, access to such personal data is restricted to only those who have a need to view it for the purpose that it serves. Therefore, if a CCTV is being used for suspected crime or breaches of H&S (one of the biggest excuses for CCTV in the workplace), then only those directly involved in that detection should be given access. Anybody else (for example other staff required to provide identification) needs to have the access (and the purpose of that access) logged with the data controller for that organisation.

Not 100% certain, but that is my interpretation.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Hi all, I have worked in cctv for the past 12 years and can tell you that only people who NEED to view ANY cctv footage have the right to do so.

You friend should report the company to the ICO for breach of the data protection act 1998.

Unfortunately this happens all to often where cctv is not controlled correctly.

I would also like to point out that IF the company has not registered their cctv system with the ICO then the system is probably illegal!!!

IF thats the case then a half decent law type person is the next call your friend should be making!!!!

Hope this helps

Ben

My opinions are my own and not those of anyone else :D

<<<<<<<<<<<<<< If you find me helpful please click on my scales

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/credit-reference-agencies/211007-equifax-your-time-has.html

SIGN THE PETITION TO STOP CREDIT REFERENCE AGENCIES RECORDING DATA WHEN NO CREDIT AGREEMENT EXISTS - SEE FORUM POST

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...ml#post2370021

hi guys i would like some advice please on the following, a friend is facing a disciplinary based on cctv evidence at work, now while we are confident that my freind will be cleared at the hearing i am concerned that a senior manager veiwed the cctv with other collegues in the staff office and made comments to other collegues, does this breach any data laws?. thanks

Hi,

(a) Could you give more detail about who viewed the CCTV footage?

(b) Who were the colleagues the senior-manager made comments to?

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.