Contract & Deposite Advise Please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5084 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, my friend wants to move from a flat to a house

She paid her deposit and has paid rent on time each month to letting agency.

She never signed any contracts, she requested a copy from the agency as the copy she was given was never signed by anybody but neither is the agents copy.

They say she can leave after her notice period ( a month) but they will only return her deposit if someone takes the flat within 30 days of her moving out.

Surely she can not be held to anything like this if no contracts were signed by anyone? thanks

All sounds very suspect. Is this England or Scotland? Big differences in rules etc :)

Dipply75

I am in no way a legal advisor and only speak from my own experiences and the helpful advice of those in the same boat! :p

England, i think its a dispute over contract length. She was verbally told 12 months, agent claims longer, no mention on her contract or signatures so requested copy of agency contract and again no mention or signatures

Hmmm, the deposit should have been put in Tenancy Deposit Scheme....I don't know loads about that but the Shelter website is V good at explaining these things.

V concerned that there are no dates or signatures, but check these 2 links, expecially the tenancy checker, and see if it gives your friend a better idea of where they stand then the good folks on here should be able to guide you:

Shelter England - Tenancy deposits

Shelter England - Private tenancies

Dipply75

I am in no way a legal advisor and only speak from my own experiences and the helpful advice of those in the same boat! :p