Debt collection agency chasing me for a debt I have nothing to do with

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5079 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Over 7 years ago, I sold a property, and at the time, I settled any bills that were outstanding. Today I have received a threatening letter from a credit collection agency, a formal demand for outstanding money, and threatening me if I do not pay within 7 days.

This has come completely out of the blue. When I sold the house, I settled the outstanding electricity bill. This apparently relates to a payment meter. The only thing I can think it could relate to was for a while, whilst the property was in my ownership, I had a tenant who left owing a couple of months rent, and presumably did the same with the utilities. (This was a long long time ago so my memory is a little sketchy!)

I'm left wondering if they have attempted to pursue the tenant, had no luck, and decided to try their luck with the former owner instead. I'm not some rich property magnate by the way, I just let the house out for a while whilst I lived in a rented house whilst trying to settle in a new area.

I attempted to get more information out of the agency, but they refuse to give any, saying only it relates to the time period between 2001 and 2010. I could just pay these people, but that would be wrong, because it is not my debt. But they aren't cooperative (quite rude actually) over the phone, and I worry about what to put in writing for fear of hanging myself with some implied liability.

I can prove when I sold the property, and where I have been living for the past many years. I've always been on the electoral roll during this time, and have always paid my bills. I just don't know what to actually say to these people, and where I stand.

I apologise if my post is similar to other posts on this forum. I've tried searching through to find someone in a similar position without any luck. Thanks for reading my post. Any help or suggestions are gratefully received!

Relates to the period 2001 to 2010...? Are they having a laugh?

Must be. Ask them to provide substantiation as you are unable to identify the supposed debt from their description. In the meantime, you neither acknowledge that you own the creditor anything until substantiation is provided, in the absence of which, you'll not be minded to continue correspondence with an unconnected third party.

If the debt IS for the period you mention (2004 or earlier) whilst it may be statute barred (from court action/enforcement, it does not stop them from asking for it).

Either way, check your Credit File to see what's there, as it was about then utilities started to report customers to CRAs.

Over 7 years ago, I sold a property, and at the time, I settled any bills that were outstanding. Today I have received a threatening letter from a credit collection agency, a formal demand for outstanding money, and threatening me if I do not pay within 7 days.

What threats, court?

This has come completely out of the blue. When I sold the house, I settled the outstanding electricity bill. This apparently relates to a payment meter. The only thing I can think it could relate to was for a while, whilst the property was in my ownership, I had a tenant who left owing a couple of months rent, and presumably did the same with the utilities. (This was a long long time ago so my memory is a little sketchy!)

Stop thinking, it's not your problem.

I'm left wondering if they have attempted to pursue the tenant, had no luck, and decided to try their luck with the former owner instead. I'm not some rich property magnate by the way, I just let the house out for a while whilst I lived in a rented house whilst trying to settle in a new area.

They will try anyone with a similar sounding name phishing for beer money.

I attempted to get more information out of the agency, but they refuse to give any, saying only it relates to the time period between 2001 and 2010. I could just pay these people, but that would be wrong, because it is not my debt. But they aren't cooperative (quite rude actually) over the phone, and I worry about what to put in writing for fear of hanging myself with some implied liability.

Don't you dare pay anything without proof positive that the debt is yours and current.

I can prove when I sold the property, and where I have been living for the past many years. I've always been on the electoral roll during this time, and have always paid my bills. I just don't know what to actually say to these people, and where I stand.

You don't have to prove a thing, they do.

I apologise if my post is similar to other posts on this forum. I've tried searching through to find someone in a similar position without any luck. Thanks for reading my post. Any help or suggestions are gratefully received!

No apologies required.

As Buzby says, even if there was a debt of some kind, if it's 7 years, (ie more than 6 years), then it's statute barred so they can poke it where the sun don't shine.

Don't let them get to you. It is just idle threats, they cannot do anything.

Come back again if you want any more reassurance.

Who is the dca?

This wasn't the Commercial Credit Services was it by any chance? I've had a telephone call today from them and they Referred to me by miss and my surname, and asked me to confirm 1st line of my address. I asked what it was about and she said until I confirmed my address she couldn't discuss the matter. I stupidly gave the first line only, and she said it didn't match the address that she had on file, and could I give her the first line of the BUSINESS address that I had registered in St Asaph?????

Firstly, I don't have a business and never have had, and secondly I don't know where the heck they got that address from. I told her I didn't have a clue what she was on about, so she said to give her my home address and she'd re-send the letter and then I could phone her back.

I told her if she was not willing to divulge any information to me, then I was not willing to divulge any further info to her. She got snotty and said that the matter would not be resolved so I said FINE BYE and I hung up.

I'm just wondering if they're doing the rounds again, because I've read on other websites that their main line of harrassment is apparent unpaid utillity bills.

***If i've helped you in any way, please click on the SCALES to the left and add to my reputation***

Barclays Bank - £2238.33 Settled 02/01/07

Bristol & West - S.A.R sent 12/01/07

Read my successful thread

here

'Money can't buy you happiness, but it does

bring you a more pleasant form of misery'