ESA & disability etc

Mrs_Jeeps
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5069 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Mrs Jeeps

Am Really sorry your post got hijacked i hope the advice i gave u did help but i'm still none the wiser on the dla credit thing hopefully there will definately be someone coming soon who can help you. x

Yikes! Sorry Mrs J for getting side-tracked.

You can find out quite a bit from the Disability Alliance Factsheet list (F31-33). BTW you get the £30 premium (or £25 for the WRAG) backdated to day 192.

Kindest regards,

Paul.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

Hi Mrs Jeeps. The answer to your first question is that you need to satisfy the three conditions as follows:

1. You need to usually work at least 16 hours a week

2. You have a disability that puts you at a disadvantage in

getting a job.

3. You have evidence that you are receiving, or have recently

received, a qualifying sickness or disability-related benefit.

Obviously nothing is as straightforward as that. The full inns and outs, including waiting periods for ESA as your qualifying benefit are contained in this factsheet here.

The answer to your second question is that whether you qualify for the work related activity group or the support group, the extra sum of the award will be backdated to the 13th week.

In regard to the other posting, which have hijacked poor Mrs Jeep's thread:

ESA is not for care needs - it is a personal allowance.

A condition of receiving ESA is that the claimant has limited capacity to work - the money awarded is a personal allowance and to spend as they wish. Further, not all claims to ESA are based on income. If a person has paid in sufficient National Insurance Contributions they will qualify for contributory based ESA and this is not affected by most other income/savings that the claimant has; they are still in most case entitled to their full whack of ESA where a person receiving income related ESA would not be. They cannot cut your benefit because you are spending it on your children. You can do whatever you like with it. The law does not prescribe for how the money is to be spent.

A condition of receiving JSA is that the claimant must be available for, and actively seeking work. The money they get does not have to be spent looking for a job. Again, it's a personal allowance to spend as they wish.

Most benefits (and certainly ESA) are paid in arrears. This means that when a benefit claimant dies, they are usually due some arrears. These arrears are payable to the estate of the deceased. The deceased's next of kin completes a notification of death form (free from the registrars) and sends it to their nearest DWP office. The benefit arrears are paid to the deceased's next of kin. Any benefit money that has already been paid out prior to death which is not an overpayment cannot be claimed back and again, the next of kin/exec is free to take that money because it was due to the deceased for the relevant period - it forms their estate.

So yes, a benefit claimant is free to leave their legacy to their children, whether or not that legacy consists of benefit payments.

• Haha 1

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Well everyone!

I've been put into the work related activity group so I passed!

Was so pleased and one less thing to worry about. The worrying has made my condition horrendous of late.

So i guess another success story... X

Well everyone!

I've been put into the work related activity group so I passed!

Was so pleased and one less thing to worry about. The worrying has made my condition horrendous of late.

So i guess another success story... X

Congrats and well done!!! One quick question and it might appear to be a daft one - when you completed the ESA50 (the medical questionaire which you returned to ATOS) how much info did you put on it (was it comprehensive?) - did you have help in filling the form out (CAB, Welfare Office etc?) and did you enclose medical evidence to prove your illness?

I have a good reason for asking this as it has been told to me this week (off the record) by a neighbour who is a DM at DWP, that he and his staff always treat the ATOS medical reports with distrust. He has in no uncertain terms said that if the ESA50 is not filled out comprehensively (ideally with the help of CAB etc) and that there is no evidence from the claimant (even a letter of support from the GP would suffice) attached to it, then his hands are tied and he must accept the ATOS report as the primary evidence!

A lot more was discussed as you can imagine, but he kept on stating that if the claimant does not help him/herself in the first place what more can he do.

AND that is the main reason why appeals are in the main sucessfull at the Tribunal stage. It is only then that the claimant gets off his/her backside and looks for help from some professional organisation and produces the evidence.

Bottom line he states that it is not the system of the DWP that is failing - they know and are acutely aware of the way ATOS complete the assessments, it is because the claimants fail to put forward a compelling enough argument to the DWP in order that the DM can give the right result first time round. "If the claimant did put as much effort as they do at the Tribunal stage to produce the contradictory evidence at the ESA50 stage, there would be 50% more cases being decided by the DM in favour of the claimant"

@ ANDYANDFLO, well said, although my last review was for I.B., I found that providing them more detail and evidence made all the difference and consequently for the first time I wasn't even required to have the Atosh medical. I added 3 extra pages of my own answering each of the mental health descriptors one by one.

If only more people going on to ESA would read the forums before they do their ESA50s.

Kindest regards,

Paul.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

Thanks Paul, I will second that statement!!

I blame no one really other than myself for the mess that I have caused to my ESA claim.

But, having said that, there must be 1000's of people out there that don't know about the forums and conequently have no input from other claimants.

Maybe then my friendly neighbour is right and that we who fail at the first hurdle, appear, to the DWP, that our claims are not that important to us.

Quite an expensive, time consuming and stressful lesson!!!

Thankyou Andyandflo, that is a very very worthwhile piece of advice. Mind you, I'll see what happens as I've just submitted my latest ESA50 with GP letter, medical results etc enclosed... :eek:

If you're a member of my Facebook page please feel free to add this...

Best wishes

Rae

Thankyou Andyandflo, that is a very very worthwhile piece of advice. Mind you, I'll see what happens as I've just submitted my latest ESA50 with GP letter, medical results etc enclosed... :eek:

If you're a member of my Facebook page please feel free to add this...

Best wishes

Rae

I'm an ex- CAB worker as it goes Hun and I've had a lot of training in DLA/the old IB50 forms so I applied what I knew to the ESA form.

I filled it in very comprehensivley stating what would happen if I tried to do certain things or why I couldn't do certain things. Again using my worst day. It came easy to me as I was just getting over a 4 day stint in bed through my illness.

No further submissions attached for my claim although I took all medication I had ever been given at the appointment.

Good luck xxx