Will ccj stop me getting a job?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5109 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am about to apply for a job in a care home as an administrator. The job will include doing the payroll and I am wondering if the checks they do will bring up the fact I have a ccj and will prevent me getting the job. Can anyone advise please?:confused:

A CCJ can stop you obtaining a job in Financial Services, some government jobs, Police, Armed Forces.

Not sure about an administrator in a care home. Would not have thought this would be a problem.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I am an administrator at a care home and my boss says that it wouldn't have stopped him employing me...

"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter" - Sir Winston Churchill

Guest HeftyHippo

Something that people forget is that a CCJ is just a decision made by a court that 'on balance' you owed someone money. Not necessarily the money they claimed you owed, but 'some' money.

For example, if you hired a builder to do some work on your home, and he damaged something, you may deduct the money required to repair the damage from his bill if he wouldn't repair it. In turn, he may sue. The court may decide that you hadn't paid his bill, but he should've made good the accidental damage. He would maintain that whatever was damaged was on its last legs and the repair ended up in your position being a lot better by virtue of a new replacement with better specs for a clapped old old thing.

The judge may look at both sides and decide that you should pay something towards the repair yourself because you did get an improvement from the situation, but that the builder was mainly responsible. He may order that you pay something to the builder, hence a CCJ.

Not all CCJs arise because of someone trying to dishonestly dodge paying their dues, some arise because of a genuine difference of opinion or dispute about liability, some arise because a person falls on hard times and can genuinely not afford to pay within the timescales demanded. Hence, the court acts as a kind of arbitrator, deciding on how much should be paid where there is dispute, and on what timescales if someone had financial problems. If you said you went to arbrttaion because of a disagreement about a bill and lost, wholly or in part, no one would think much about it "bad luck" they'd say. Say you've gone to court and been given a CCJ and they think you're a crook. Not always the case. In fact, where credit matters are concerned usually not the case.

Policies vary between employers, but handling money or dispursing it might make you a risk. However, everyone has been affected by the credit crunch and most of us here have very good reasons for being in the pickle we're in. Yes, some of us have been a bit irresponsible, some of us a bit reckless, some hit by something completely unforeseen that overnight changes a situation that was being comfortably handled into a nightmare that could'nt be managed at all.

Think of how you would explain your CCJ and general situation if you were asked about the CCJ by an employer or potential employer. Admitting some responsibility will probably earn some respect. After all, if one factor was that you didn't check paperwork and didn't realise you were up to your credit limits or check statements and didn't realise you were getting hammered with charges that were more than you were paying each month, but you now recognise the importance of making sure everything adds up and every i and t is dotted and crossed, and you would employ the same vigilance with an employers money because you realise how small things that go unnoticed come back and bite you, it might actually work in your favour.

Thanks HeftyHippo, you are quite right that everyone has been affected by the credit crunch. The annoying thing is that the ccj is preventing me getting a job to get some money so I can pay the damm thing off. The advice how to explain to a potential employer about the ccj is fantastic. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Hi Tadworried , I think that HHs post is spot on and whilst I do not work in the financial field have found that by telling my future employers from the start about my financial problems and that by bettering myself financially to enable myself to repay the debts that I have was one of the reasons that I was applying for a position within their firm has not hindered my employment at all and has earned me respect from my employers. In one medium sized company that I used to work for the director would often ask that I was OK financially and often would lend me money if needed as the computor would always say NO to a bank overdraft.

sleepingdog

The computor always says No to me as well! As a lot of people know who come on his site it is so hard with the stress of debt collectors ( the phone is ringing now!), robbing peter to pay paul and constantly on the phone explaining why you can't pay. On top of all this trying to get your head in the right place to apply for jobs, then worrying that you might not get a job because of the mess your in! I have really had to grow a pair over these last 2 years and this site has been invaluable for advice and also reassurance that you are not on your own. If I get this job will be making a contribution to this site for definate.

Right thats my rant over for today......head sorted....pair in place...will get back to the CV!