• Tweets

• thread title updated. so a sold debt. who are the solicitors? TM legal? why didn't ovo do this themselves as they do but chose to sell the debt on for 10p=£1? funny debt you state you reived a letter of claim, why did you not reply too it.? also is there is no indication of the date this bill comes from on the claimform? how do you know its from 2022? what other previous paperwork have you received? please scan page 1 of the claimform and bothsides of ALL previous letters upto one mass pdf read upload carefully. .................. pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’. Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time. You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID. You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.  then log in to the bulk court Website https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/466952-lowelloverdales-claimform-old-cap1-debt/?do=findComment&comment=5260464 .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website get a CPR  31:14  request running to the solicitors [if one is not listed send to the claimant] ... https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332546-legal-cpr-3114-request-request-for-information-when-a-claim-has-been-issued/ type your name ONLY Do Not sign anything .do not ever use or give an email . you DO NOT await the return of ANY paperwork  you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform [1 in the count] ..............  
    • Thank you again. I'm hoping it will come out in the wash and will endeavour to check my online account. I'm a bit unsettled by not hearing from Booking.com but the host is sounding helpful at the moment. HB
    • I've just remembered that a friend of mine had bookings cancelled on Booking.com about a month ago - and the good news is that all worked out in the wash. I'm at work now but will scribble properly in a couple of hours with the full tale.
    • Thank you Dave. I've had nothing from Booking.com, just a message via the site from the host. I know I need to check my bank account, just trying to resolve some technical issues. HB  
    • Which Court have you received the claim from ? Civil National Business Centre Name of the Claimant ? JC INTERNATIONAL AQUISITION How many defendant's  joint or self ? Self Date of issue – 22 May 2024  Particulars of Claim What is the claim for – 1. The def owes the claimant £300 in respect of gas and electricity charges supplied by OVO. 2. Debt was assigned to the claimant with notice given to the def. 3. Despite formal demand the def has failed to pay the debt and the claimant claims £300 and further claims interest pursuant to s69 of the CCA 1984. What is the total value of the claim? £385 Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ? Yes   Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred? No   Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? Energy debt When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ? After Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? Moved home and they were the current energy supplier  Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax/Etc...) ? No Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Debt assigned to JC International Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? Not sure probably  Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? Again can't remember but probably  Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ? No Why did you cease payments? Changed supplier What was the date of your last payment? Never  Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? No Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? No
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Debt agency chasing my ex partner for a debt, advice welcome

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5068 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

o.k Cerb, my mother has a scanner, I will go up there tomorrow and put them up, I will try and figure out how to do so, I will also put a letter up from 4 years ago from them that states 'Please fine a copy of the orignal payment schedule for your loan, unfortunatley no payments have been taken from this account, I have enclosed a new payment schedule along with a copy of your records'

This copy I have with all my partners bank details on a signed standing order form filled out that they sent back, why the hell they took no money out and sent it back asking us to fill another in I don't know, anyway filled the new one in and that was the last one, again nothing was taken.

Will try and post it all up tomorrow

Thanks

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scan the documents to a jpeg file & save to 'My Documents'. Go to TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting & left click 'Choose', another page will open listing folders in your computer. Double left click 'My Documents' & left click the file you want to upload. Left click 'Open', the box will close then left click 'Upload Now' on the webpage. The page will refresh giving a list of options, copy the URL & paste it back here. Left click 'Post Quick Reply' & voila your file will appear "just like that" as Tommy Cooper would say.

O.k here are the agreements/letters I wanted to place up, there in a pdf and maybe not in order, not sure what the POC was on the claim form so just added the first page, but everything is there.

Paul documents.pdf

My main questions is what is it enforcable and if so what action would you take?

The letter they sent back sayiny 'unfortunatly no money was taken' was the last correspondence I had with them, so why if I just refused to pay it did it take over 4 years for them to contact my ex partner again, basically adding loads of interest and costs? I could ask them to send any yment from the last 4 years and they would be able to produce nothing!

Why as the standing order form was filled in correctly and sent to them as shown, did they send it back with another to fill in? We filled out 4 of these forms and rang them, nothing was ever taken even though we kept filling them out.

So basically with all the info what would you suggest saying to them?

Thanks

If this was signed at home they've omitted the 'right to cancel' under CCCA 1983 & CCA 1974.

I'm not too happy with the administration fee they've added either, but that's not my field so I'll ask someone to take a look for you.

I understood this was supposed to be an interest free loan arranged by the Council?

If this was signed at home they've omitted the 'right to cancel' under CCCA 1983 & CCA 1974.

Not sure where it was signed, I asked my ex partner and she says she can't remember but may have been in their offices.

I understood this was supposed to be an interestlink3.gif free loan arranged by the Council?

It was an interest free loan yes as stated on the agreement I posted up, it states interest-0%APR. Also what about the court and solcitor fees, can they add these? My ex was sent the court forms straight out, no warning, chance to sort it out, explain anything, I was told they can't add solictor fees, as it has not been to court.

I'm not too happy with the administration fee they've added either, but that's not my field so I'll ask someone to take a look for you.

Yes they do seem out of proportion and would appreciate you asking someone to look.

If the loan is enforcable then I will deal with that, what I wont deal with is us having to pay for their total imcompetence. Why after numerous forms were filled in did they take nothing, one form as shown was even sent back by them with all the correct details on, only to send another set of forms out? Why did they wait 4 years with no correspondence and then suddenly take the loan back on, passing it straight on to a debt agency, add interest, costs etc?

I just need to know what is the best way forward here, my ex can't pay a lot each month and also refuses to pay for the mess/extra charges of their own making. If anyone can give me an idea of what to send them to move this forward I would be very grateful as I know nothing about the legal side of this and don't want to make a mistake.

Thanks for any further help

You stated in the first post that it was to replace an outside boiler as a young boy had died through I can only presume carbon monoxide poisoning I feel that is total twaddle the safest place for carbon monoxide to leak would be outside, the agreement also says installation of radiators as well.

Why were the rads replaced as well, it seems to me that you were hood winked into this.

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.

Sorry I posted at the same time as others did.

Postjjg I posted this condensed version further up, anything else you need to know I will happily supply, seen many of your past posts and you seem to really know your stuff so thanks for looking.

Here is the condensed version

1. We were forced by a new law to have a boiler fitted, we said we could not afford and they said we had no real choice and they would give us an interest free loan.

2. We signed up for this and they sent a Standing order form out, we filled it in and they took nothing from the bank, 3 month later they sent them out again like the first lot never happened, filled in again, same thing, this happened again and they even sent our signed forms back, well a photocopy, so we then rang them and told them we keep filling the forms in but nothing happens, just new forms, they said don't worry it is now sorted out, fill in the new forms we send, so we did and the same thing, nothing came out of the bank, so i said if they don't want it then sod them, I can't do anymore.

3. Nothing at all was ever sent out after that, no letter, no demand, no phone call, nothing at all and the matter was forgotten. Then a full 4 1/2 years later a letter arrivees at my house from a debt agency demanding the full amount in 7 days. Then followed a claim form from the court, as this was all in my ex partners name I told them rightly she did not live here anymore.

4. They found my ex within a week and she had no warning, chance to put her side up or anything, just claim forms direct from the court.

5. Asked the DCA/council to send copy of original debt which they now have and sent a letter back to the court saying I was contesting it.

If you need anything else then please ask

This was the incident with the boy that led to this Huddersfield Examiner - News - Local West Yorkshire News - Stacey Rodgers’s plea for closure after Corfu carbon monoxide deaths court case

You stated in the first post that it was to replace an outside boiler as a young boy had died through I can only presume carbon monoxide poisoning I feel that is total twaddle the safest place for carbon monoxide to leak would be outside, the agreement also says installation of radiators as well.

Why were the rads replaced as well, it seems to me that you were hood winked into this.

This sounds silly, but I don't think the radatiors were replaced, in fact i am sure they were not. I know I should know 100% and I would have said no they were not, but with you saying its in the agreement you have me wondering, but I am 99% sure they were not replaced.

Just a idea of what I have put up in pdf

1. Is a letter from the council after sending back a standing order form back that we filled in correctly, proving we filled out a standing order form with all bank details filled in, this they sent back with new standing order forms, not explaining why they had took no money out.

2. This is the letter the DCA sent with the intial agreement when we asked for it.

3. Initial agreement

4. A copy of the standing order they sent back to us, showing we filled it in and sent it to them, only for them to send it back with new forms, oddly ignoring the details on there and taking some money.

5. Claim form sent straight to my ex, no letter explining the loan, time to pay, discusss, nothing, claim form sent stright from court.

Thanks

it says boiler+rad in the agreement

I know and can see this, I will look into this further, but as I say I am sure they did not, my ex will know for sure, but 1 had to be replaced last winter that went rusty and they don't look new to me, I was working away when they did the job and can't recall them changing them at all, I wont say for sure and will find out for definate.

Well Ime Going To Have Fun With This

For A Start

Is It A Credit Agreement As Its Headed Or A Loan Agreement As Stated

two Different Things

O-dear

In The T&c It States That If You Miss A Payment They Will Charge Interest so What Apr Are They Using Perscribed Term That

Where Is The Termination Figure To Settle Early

Did You Get An Invoice From Tm Gas (supplier) On The Cost Of The Boiler

what Exactly Does It Say In The Blacked Out Bit At The Bottom Of The Agreement Under Your Right To Cancel

This Is Important

Where Did You Sign The Agreement

Did A Rep Come To Your House

Where Is The Cooling Off Period On The Agreement

Distant Selling Regs Come Into Play

On The Claim Form They Are Charging Interest, Where Does It State That In The T&c On The Agreement

were There Any T&c On The Back Of The Agreement

Last But Not Least

Addmin Fee

Ime Going To Have Fun With That

Ime Now Going To Read The Whole Thread

Give Me 30 Min

On the interest charges, it states clearly on the original letter 0% interest, I am not sure if this covers their 8% interest, but I refuse to pay this again when it is their fault, is this interest recoverable by law? Had mixed messages on this, but it would kill me if they got this for their own slackness.

To quote CitizenB from my thread :D

The Claimant fails to plead that this claim concerns an agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act, 1974. However, the Claimant claims interest pursuant to section 69 of the County Courts Act, 1984 which the Claimant should surely know they are not entitled to by virtue of the County Courts (Interest on Judgment Debts) Order, 1991 (SI 1991 No. 1184 (L. 12)) in particular section 2(3)(a), which clearly prohibits such an award:

· The general rule

2(3) Interest shall not be payable under this Order where the relevant judgment - (a) is given in proceedings to recover money due under an agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974;

Ive Done Some Digging But Needs To Be Confirmed And The Energy Company Are In Big Trouble

This Addmin Fee On The Agreement Looks Like A Kick Back (commission) To The Local Authority

What I Can Tell You That If The House Holder Did Not Put In The Original Boiler, The New Regs Do Not Apply.

So A Council Rep Came To Your Property And Said Under New Regs The Boiler Was Not Allowed To Be Outside. (was It A Council Or Energy Company Rep) Please Confirm

This Comes Under The Gas Safty And Instalation Regs

Ammended 2006

You Will Be Under

Gas Safty Regs 1984

Ammended 1990

Council Will Be Refering To Building Standards Flues An Ventalatons Regs

in A Knutshell

You Were Conned Into Taking Out A New Boiler

My thoughts exactly PostGGj

You always make it look so much more convincing;)

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.

Was the property owned by your GF or was it a council property.

It was owned by both of us, she has now left but we are friends and the reason I said I would pay half.

Post thanks for looking through, I will answer as much as I can now and then get in touch with my partner as soon as I can, I am at my mothers at the moment and can't get a signal.

For A Start

Is It A Credit Agreement As Its Headed Or A Loan Agreement As Stated

two Different Things

I am not sure what it is I don't know the difference, it says credit agreement as you say, it was basically an interest free loan forced upon us.

O-dear

In The T&c It States That If You Miss A Payment They Will Charge interestlink3.gif so What Apr Are They Using Perscribed Term That

Only missed paying anything because of their incompetence

Where Is The Termination Figure To Settle Early

Did You Get An Invoice From Tm Gas (supplier) On The Cost Of The Boiler

Again it was 5 years ago, but as far as I remember no, but I can't be sure, I will ask my ex, but doubt she will remember, I kept everything to do with it and can't find this.

what Exactly Does It Say In The Blacked Out Bit At The Bottom Of The Agreement Under Your Right To Cancel

Interesting one, looks like they have photo copied it and its blacked it out, cant read a thing on the one they have sent me.

This Is Important

Where Did You Sign The Agreement

I will ask my ex, she signed it, soon as i find out I will post it up.

Did A Rep Come To Your House

Not that I can recall no, basically the council just set it up, they sent the company out who did the job and then sent standing order forms out.

Where Is The Cooling Off Period On The Agreement

All I have is what is on that form, so you will know better then me.

Distant Selling Regs Come Into Play

On The Claim Form They Are Charging Interest, Where Does It State That In The T&c On The Agreement

were There Any T&c On The Back Of The Agreement

There is nothing on the back of it, just that page which is a photo copy, all I can see is 0% interest on the form.

Last But Not Least

Addmin Fee

Ime Going To Have Fun With That

Ime Now Going To Read The Whole Thread

Really appreciate your help, will ask ex for further details and post it up, also any result at all and I promise to donate some money, more than worth it.

Thanks

Give Me 30 Min

Ive Done Some Digging But Needs To Be Confirmed And The Energy Company Are In Big Trouble

This Addmin Fee On The Agreement Looks Like A Kick Back (commission) To The Local Authority

What I Can Tell You That If The House Holder Did Not Put In The Original Boiler, The New Regs Do Not Apply.

The boiler was in when we moved in, but not quite sure what you mean.

So A Council Rep Came To Your Property And Said Under New Regs The Boiler Was Not Allowed To Be Outside. (was It A Council Or Energy Company Rep) Please Confirm

Yes this is exactly what happened, we did not want or could afford it, there was nothing wrong with the old boiler, he said under new regulations since the lad died, the link I posted we had no choice but would get an interest free loan to pay for it, again we did not want this it was money we did not have.

This Comes Under The Gas Safty And Instalation Regs

Ammended 2006

You Will Be Under

Gas Safty Regs 1984

Ammended 1990

Council Will Be Refering To Building Standards Flues An Ventalatons Regs

in A Knutshell

You Were Conned Into Taking Out A New Boiler

Again thanks for the help, you certainly know your stuff. I did think is was odd that kirklees energy services actually advertise boilers. http://www.yesenergyshop.co.uk/

Why would a local authority official call at a private residence regarding a boiler, The interesting bit here is if you had refused, there is nothing they could have done. No one could force you to change it, I don't think

Any neighbours at the time in the same position with outside boilers, what did they do?

That What Makes Me Think It Was An Energy Company Rep And Not The Council

The Council Have No Right To Be Doing This On A Private Dwelling

THAT £135 WOULD THEN BE A KICK BACK TO THE SALES MAN