Lewis turned up at my door, how do I proceed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5124 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Ive posted here a couple of times re this debt however now things have taken a nasty turn...

The debt concerned is for about £600, I'm not 100% sure but I think it's well over six years since any contact with either the debt co or the CC company in this case RBS Visa.

Just popped out to the shops and while I was away an agent claiming to be be from the Lewis Group has given the missus a grubby little envelope with a card advising me to contact their agent urgently etc etc.

Luckily I was out as I've got a bit of a short temper with these sort of scumbags, I'm also not easily intimdated as the last one that came to my door found out...

Just what is the best course of action in this case, do I give him a call and tell him not to come round again, is this technically trespassing?

I really would advise you to keep your temper in check as any physical confrontation with these plebs will certainly lead to you facing legal action.

Send SB letter if you are sure.

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Right.

The prove it letter and the doorstep letter have been written, just need to post off the former. Prob is I've two addreses for these lot, a red letter that is an address in Cleckheaton but the doorstep visitors card has a Belfast address, which one is correct? Both have the same ref.

BTW I cant find the letter but I'm sure they offered to let me pay this off for about £150 sometime last Xmas. I'll have to dig out the letter.

I have three addresses for them, the Cleckheaton one, the Head office in Glasgow, and their regional office in Belfast.

Contact Us

Head office would be my choice..

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Also see Mack hall thread

Borrowed 8K unsecured circa 2005 from BH

Stopped paying July 2008

Tried and almost agreed with Black horse a way out

Asked for PPI details

Dead

Threats from Black Horse

Then Mack Hall Threats

Wrote letters Sept 2009 (as advised in MH thread)

Quiet

Lewis NOW sent 2 letters (where did they come from?) April 2010

Debt nearly 11k they say

Lewis offered settlement nearly 6k

Now Lewis debt recovery letter says they will be in my area to discuss "next week" dated 19th April.

I am lost in this maze - and worried

Please advise

Worried :-?

If one turns up, tell him to 'go away' in words of your choice but you MUST remain calm as you do so.

If he refuses to go away call the police.

Complain to TS & OFT via Consumer Direct.

Fully agree. I've printed off the "go away" template letter, this will be sitting ready by the front door ready to hand to the unwelcome caller.

As an aside v occasionally the garage door may be open, what if he trys to gain entrance that way, is that essentially trespass of a more serious nature?

This is a Debt Collecter we are talking about not a bailiff, a debt collecter has no rights to enter your property at all....unless you invite them in. If they go in you garage door, you call the police straight away, I do not advocate using violence but the law says you may use resonable force to protect yourself & your property as he would be breaking & entering (correct me if I'm wrong) and trespassing.

This is a Debt Collecter we are talking about not a bailiff, a debt collecter has no rights to enter your property at all....unless you invite them in. If they go in you garage door, you call the police straight away, I do not advocate using violence but the law says you may use resonable force to protect yourself & your property as he would be breaking & entering (correct me if I'm wrong) and trespassing.

Many thanks for that advice, I'm not expecting him to be stupid enough to try anything but you never know. I've no intention of doing anything other than telling him to go away and call the police.

I do get the impression that these chancers rely on intimidating people into thinking that they have more power than they actually have, quite disgusting I think.

Btw just about to send of the prove it letter, is it best to send this registered post?

Send recorded, keep a copy of the letter & proof of posting. Don't sign the letter either, just print your name.

DCAs sadly do rely on threats and intimidation. 18 months ago I was scared stiff of the post & any letters or phone calls I got from these so called companies. ANy letters I get now, just get treated with contempt, if one needs a reply to etc, I come here to get good advice.

If you have a camera on your mobile phone or any sort of camera & these cretins turn up, make sure you get pictures of them, then after you have told them to s** off, you complain to the OFT, TS, FoS....everyone.

Whatever you do, don't let these companies get you down, they're not worth it.

Have you sent all the letters as advised above.

Must have got a red pen for his birthday !

Went to send the prove it letter today but the PO was closed down:sad:

Will be sending tomorrow via registered post.

This is the letter body, does this look comprehensive enough?

My Address

Date

Ref

Dear Sir/Madam

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY OR ANY COMPANY YOU MAY REPRESENT

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed in regard to this reference.

I am familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading's Guidance on debt collection, which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. AND in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office Of Fair Trading of your actions.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

My Printed Name

Edited by dogmonkey
font issue