Interview with Compliance Officer

mrspinkpaws
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5158 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ah Ok Mikey.Thanks. Maybe its still an Internal allegation though? something I have said to someone in IS about bank accounts? Is there such a thing as an internal allegation?? one department to another?? If not then it has to a busy body on the outside. Just cant think what the latter could be about though.

Just been reading a thread about having someone watching them outside their house in a car.... if someones been asked to watch me..they must be bored stiff!! I hardly ever move out of the house, especially during the week, unless its a trip to the shop or a coffee somewhere and 99% of the time with a friend. I'm recovering from a recent operation on my neck/back, prior to being admitted into hospital I was 14 weeks in the house unable to move..from what you have said though I doubt I have been 'being watched' as its only with compliance.

mrspinkpaws, honestly hunni!

You must be aware of the old phrase about making mountains out of molehills...

You are worrying yourself and fretting over nothing at all. As you recognise yourself, no-one will have been asked to watch you. This is not an invitation to an interview under caution. There are no allegations of fraudulent behaviour. It's simply a run of the mill compliance issue. Which tend to be simply looking to confirm all is right and proper with your claim. Any allegation that may - or as easily may not - have been made would already have been adjudged as spurious. But everything has to be checked. No matter how ridiculous.

Please relax.

Best wishes.

Rae.

Morning Rae :)

I know I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill, I can feel and hear myself doing it, I'm actually getting fed up of the sound of my own voice so to speak..The complience officers words "there has been an allegation made against you " rings round my head, Unfortunately I'm finding it hard to relax for very long and get it out of my head, but I am trying, honestly. I suffer from anxiety at the best of times, I find it hard to deal with. Unfortunately it tends to over power me. I have no family, just 1 brother, and 2 friends who I can 100% trust so nobody to talk to about it with..except you lovely people on here.

I really need to get a grip!!..to stop going through a mental list of people who could have made the allegation or what it's about before I drive myself nuts.

Thank you for your kind and comforting words, it's very much appreciated and just what I need :)

And that's all it is - an allegation. An allegation is an accusation, no more and no less - it is not a conviction of guilt. The duty of compliance is to make checks necessary to establish if an allegation has any truth to it or not, that's all. Don't get yourself wound up by this; though it is easier said than done. I've had tax credit compliance investigate my claim several times and it is daunting worrying about the outcome. Tax Credit is dealt with by HMRC which admittedly isn't the same body as DWP however the compliance principles are the same.

It might set you at ease to know that during one such compliance investigation on my claim, they discovered I was not being awarded enough tax credit for my circumstances and promptly increased my award.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Thanks Erika :)

So basically, if when the allegation was made they weigh up how much meat there is to it...if there had of been... it would have been passed onto Fraud, but in my case have decided there isn't really anything to go on, so complience invite me in... ask me outright if the allegation is true, I say No..they accept my answer, look at my bank statements, doctors letter etc...see there is nothing suspect there, and thats it?

From what everyone has said to me on here..It is this way round not Complience look into it first, interview and then if not satisfied pass it on higher. I only ask because my social worker asked me to call her if they decide to take it further.

I do feel a lot calmer and I thank you all very much, but just one more thing please..Ive asked a few times but not had this one answered........can an allegation be made from one dept to another??? i.e IS or HB question something I have said, or seen something on my claim and so ask complience to check it out for instance??? or is an Allegation always from an outsider, member of the public???

Apologies for being a bloomin pain, and a big big thank you to you all.

In some cases, compliance do escalate matters but this is very rare. It's usually fraud who pass down to compliance where no substance is found, or where an allegation has had no substance or is believed to be potentially mallicious from the outset.

In other cases there is sometimes something uncovered which results in a small overpayment. They arrange for this to be deducted from your benefit and that's it. Just as they can discover you are not getting enough benefit and increase it - as was my case.

Yes, another department can refer a case if they come across something that doesn't match up to the information that appears to be held - they have a duty to do so, as it is part and parcel of their job to prevent fraud and report potential fraud, as well as awarding benefit to those who are entitled. A referral can be made by a benefit officer or a member of the public can make a report.

If you have declared everything then there is absolutely nothing to be concerned about; compliance simply have to ensure that your claim is legitimate and report accordingly.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Thank you....I do honestly feel so much better now as I do have a strong feeling its internal...I know myself that over the last month or so I have said things about my bank accounts and financies that could have raised doubt and confusion. I have been confsed with it all myself so I can fully understand that they must be too. I'm sure it will be sorted easily and only take a short interview

If it is an outsider their allegations could be anything from having a partner to working and they will hopefully take my word for it along with my paperwork that these allegations are unfounded.

As for whoever made it can go crawl back under the slimey stone they came from. I have just realised the more upset and worried I am getting.... the more they are doing what they set out to do..upset me..I will not allow that happen a minute longer!!!!

Im sending all those who are going through the same as me a big comforting hug and those who have given me help a big thanks.

I will of course come back on Thursday night to let you all know how it went.

I'm smiling now :)

Thank you so much

Edited by mrspinkpaws
missed out words

Well I had the interview...I'd like to say all is ok, but I'm not sure.

The allegation was actually 4 in 1

That Im not a disabled as I make out

That Im always spending periods of time away from home

That I have been working

That I am a member of a gym

The woman doing the interview threw all these allegations at me and then asked me to explain them...she really tried to tie me in knots, interupting and not allowing me to finish ...so I told her I would and could only answer one at a time.

She even accused me of thinking certain things by expressions on my face!!!!!!

At one point she as good as suggested my GP was not being truthful about my disability..by using the words ' your doctor claims to be wrong with you'

She questioned why I wasnt using a walking aid...I explained I couldnt when I had pains in my hands as I cant grip the stick.

I tried my best to explain my disabilities, how they effect me and what medication I take. I then asked her for the 3rd time to look at the doctors letter in my file.

She asked me to list all my previous jobs...I went years and years back, but she still asked me to keep going.

She asked me when I was last out of the country...June I replied..reason? Holiday I replied.. where and who with? Boyfriend..who paid? He did.

She asked me why I was never at home..I told her that on most days I hardly ever leave the house... but do visit my boyfriend, go to stay with friends, all this usually at weekends. She questioned me about all this, basically asking given the fact I was disabled how does having a boyfriend work!!!..I explained that if I stay with him he cares for me, looks after me ect, as do my friends...then she questioned how I can drive there...I was feeling quite angry by now.....so I apologised for not realising it was against the law to have a life, that although motability had given me a car I wasnt meant to actually drive it, and that I was meant to stay at home 24/7 and never ever recieve any love or affection from a member of the opposite sex.

She backed down a little then she moved onto the gym thing........I explained that I didnt use the gym, I used the pool and steam room etc only, all help with my joints......I told her to speak to the manger there who only charges me half the usual fee because that is all I do, and to ask her to check the attendance records they keep so she could see only go 2 or 3 times a month..she then said I the person making the allegation had seen me going in and out in gym wear...I then asked her if I should enter and leave the building in swim wear (yes I was getting more cross)

She left that one alone for a while and went onto the involved in working issue. I am somehow meant to be still involved in a business that my ex husband and a brother ran, it closed down in 2005....I told her I had no idea where that could possibly come from as it ceased trading in 5 years ago and secondly I hadnt actually spoke to this brother for 5 years (we had a big fall out, he lives abroad also)

She pushed and pushed, kept aking me why this person would think this if I hadnt been involved for 5 years. By this time I had realised who the person making the allegation was and said maybe she saw a post on my facebook, that there must have been a posting from someone who I knew from back then... she really went off on one saying she failed to understand..my son then stepped in and explained to her how facebook works, that people find you, sometimes after years of not hearing from them, and assume your life is the same...I then said I had heard from one such person only a few months ago and that they had asked how my husband was, i.e didnt know we were even divorced because its years since we had been in touch.....

She then told me if the Fraud Investigators were to check they would see this....I replied yes they can, if they want to check it then I dont have a problem.

My son asked her if people in her personal life ever asked her if she knew of any jobs going..yes of course she said...my son said, well thats all my mother may have done, someones asked her advice/help on something and she has told them she cant help but given them a name of someone who can. She said if I was ill/disabled I shouldnt be an agent of any discription, I told her I wasnt it was called social networking, its a friendly and free thing to do. She backed down from that and said she wasnt going to write anything about facebook in my statement.

She moved backwards and forwards onto each subject again and again....In the end I asked her to please look at all the paperwork I had brough to back me up, she said she had read the drs letter. I pointed out I could easily prove all the allegations apart from the being involved but when it comes to something that is so unfounded and untrue as working I couldnt, and thats worrying!!! I asked her to read the report from my social worker, she said she didnt need to she was happy with what I had told her.

She then said the allegation was made 7 months ago but they have backlogs as they are so busy. She said that was fine by her it kept her in a job. Then a few stories of other random people she had interviwed lately and how something as daft as wearing jeans has been reported to her as work clothes so me wearing gym gear was the same...she said 85% of people who signed on each week wore sports wear but she doubted they have ever stepped foot in a gym.

She then suggested I keep a Diary, and each time I do anything significant to write it down, so if ever they needed to question a certain date I can tell them where I was and what I was doin..like what I asked??...leave your home to go somewhere, i.e like today visiting me.....I got upset said it was ridiculous, that surely I am allowed to go out without having to write it down?? Im going for a coffee with a friend next week shall I write that down!!!??....no she said thats not significant. Im confused about that one. She aslo reminded me to inform IS when my son leaves home but pointed out she knew I had already had a conversation with them about it.

She then read out the statement to me and I signed it. The statement sounded ok but I didnt really think I sounded like I had defended myself very well in it..just brief explanations. She wrote loads down, but not all of it was in the statement.

She kind of apologised for being a little harsh but she had a job to do...I said I didnt intend to shoot the messenger but was hurt and upset that a so called friends could say such things, she said the world is full of them.

She then said she had someone else to interview now and said I could go. Thanks for coming love and take care.

So Im now wondering what happens next...I know I should have asked but I didnt think until I was half way home.

Edited by mrspinkpaws

Hunni, if the interview went as you described I really wouldn't worry. My reading is that the woman interviewing you accepted everything you said. She apologised that she came across a bit harsh, explained she was trying to do her job, stated that many people - like you - had false allegations against them. She even went so far as to try and advise you how best to deal with any future mischief makers, by keeping a simple diary of things you do.

All in all, I would say things are fine for you. It may not seem that way to you but, honestly, I'd be happy with that interview [in the main].

If you are concerned by it then take her advice. And write the following: Dear Diary, today I attended an interview with a compliance officer. Here's how it went...

:)

Best wishes.

Rae.

Edited by RaeUK
because you're worth it...

Thank you Rae :) I did think that maybe its all over now just wasnt sure as she didnt actually say if anything happens next, like passing it on to fraud to see what they think of my explanations/her report??? but Im probably being paranoid. Im going to keep the diary, just hospital visits and such like, along with the evenings/weekends I stay over at my friends etc..I assume she suggested the diary in the event of any further alleagations being made??

I bet the person who made the allegation has been wondering why I have still smiled at her in the street/said hello etc..little does she know I have only just been interviewed and not 7 months ago when she decided to do such a thing! Despite wanting to go round there and throttle her.. I shall continue to smile, wave etc etc and put my trust in Karma ;) Or if they know who it is...do they let the 'informant' know when its happened and the outcome???

I shall carry on leading my life as I did before the interview but just have to accept that a disabled person on benefits I have to live in a big brother style world thats full of nasty people and be accountable for just about everything I do in my day to day life.

Hows your search for a help going sweetie??

She then suggested I keep a Diary, and each time I do anything significant to write it down, so if ever they needed to question a certain date I can tell them where I was and what I was doin..like what I asked??...leave your home to go somewhere, i.e like today visiting me.....I got upset said it was ridiculous, that surely I am allowed to go out without having to write it down?? Im going for a coffee with a friend next week shall I write that down!!!??....no she said thats not significant. Im confused about that one. She aslo reminded me to inform IS when my son leaves home but pointed out she knew I had already had a conversation with them about it.

It seems that these people do not live in the real world and knows no one that is disabled or elderly. I think part of their training should be for them to spend a couple of months in a a care home and that would give them a good insight on how it is for disable people and elderly people.

It has to be one of these care homes that do not bother to care for their patients as well and it should not be one of the rare good expensive care homes that is around then they will probably have it closed down due to the fact that patients are too well cared for they would probaly recommend for it to be closed on the basis that it is not right for disable or elderly pensioners to have any kind of life. According to these employees this would not be in their RULE book for claiments to have some of a resembles of a life and that is not allowed.

As you can see from the link below a person who worked in the DWP took a case that had no relevance to a poster who was refused AA for her elderly mother a pensioners.

This DWP employee recommended for an elderly pensioner to keep a diary of the pain she experience every day....are these people real or what..... If you are in pain the last think you want to do is write down that experience of pain.

Age Concern Discussions Forums - Attendance Allowance

You did very well at the interview and I would not worry any more about the compliance officer as they do not live in the real world and it appears that they have no experinece any suffering or pain themselves either. :?:

Edited by Allwood

Thanks Allwood :)

She did keep saying she wasnt medically trained, my point, and I wish I had made it, is that the fact I am on dla and IB says everything surely. There surely must be medical information on their files about me, so in actual fact they doubt/question the professionals, GP's. consultants opinion and take the word of some nasty person who decides to make an allegation. but then again, as she pointed out herself, she would be out of a job.

She kept on and on about people who work hard/ tax payers money paying for my benefits...I worked many many years, paying my tax and national insurance before I came disabled.

My son pointed out to her that there are a lot of invisable disabilities, just because someone isn't confined to a wheelchair doesnt mean they are not disabled.

When she was questioning the gym membership I asked her if she would she like me to strip off so she could see how much muscle waste I have on my arms and legs, you dont get that pumping iron in a gym? She declined.

No matter what people say, in my experience thay are smiling assins, they lay into you the moment you sit down, you are guilty until they decide otherwise..they only relax and treat you properly when they realise you are actually telling the truth.

You are so right, they need to live our life, even for just a day. One day they might become disabled or their parent will have to go into a home, god help them thats all I say! I know they have to do their job, I know there are people out there who [problem] benefits, make false claims, but please do not assume we are all the same.

Mrs Pinkpaws

there are nasty people out there, some you may think are friends who make these random accusations,

Compliance unfortunately have to follow them up,

As it took seven months to get round to doing it then that shows you how urgent it was not lol

She did sound like a bit jobsworth but you had your son in there with you thank goodness.

Nothing will come of this she will write her report and close your file.

Dont worry about this anymore someone is jealous of you.

You sound like a normal person going about their life enjoying what they can, as their health allows :)

The gym is good for you and can only help you body and mind.

You are allowed to go on holiday and have a life.

You have nothing to hide.

People do make [problem] benefit claims, as some people shoplift :)

and that will always happen

If it happens to me, I will make sure that I get a report from my GP and first look at it to see if it relates to your disability, as we all know that GP make many mistakes and they are so highly paid well over a 100k a year.

Locums are allowed from the EU that are not GP's and are sent to treat patients and ending up killing them.

Also as we know from the Employment forum employers do not take any notice of medical certificates. The certificates are just for benefit and therefore employers do not beleive what is written on the medical certrificate regarding their patients illness. Employers can and do take medical certificates with a pinch of sale and some of them have binned them as they look upon medical certificate that their employees are swinging the led regardless what is on it, which of couse is not true in most cases.

The government has no money left after printing so much to bail out the banks and of couse they have to keep these big bonues on the go to keep these bankers in their jobs that screwed up the public. It seem that the governements to wants to keep it this way because they do not want to upset their rich friends. Something is very wrong with the country and hopefully we will get a hung parliament with a couple of months time.

Sorry for the rant. Off my soap box now:cry:

BBC iPlayer - Panorama: Trust Us, We're an NHS Hospital

BBC iPlayer - Panorama: Trust Us, We're an NHS Hospital

BBC NEWS | UK | Baby P: The full health dossier

BBC News - Gum disease 'linked to early births'

BBC News - Patient killed unlawfully by overseas doctor

Doctor left elderly patients in 'drug-induced comas' | News | Nursing Times

Edited by Allwood

Thank you everyone for supporting me through the very traumatic experience.

Hopefully this IS the end of it. At the end of the day, if my GP's letter counts for nothing they only have to write to my consultants at the hospital and disabled adult social services. I was in such a curfuffle I only told her about a few of the drugs I take, I'm on more than I said, but again, the hospital will confirm everything if needs be.

The GP's letter I showed her was not written for them, it was for my bank to prove to them I cannot work and will not be able to return to work, she knew that, I explained what it was......she did say she didnt need to put it my file, but said if it made me feel better she would...I asked her to put a copy on my file.

Good luck to anyone who has to go through this....just keep calm, give precise short answers, relating only to the question. take with you any proof you have and insist they read it. I was asked to bring all bank statements as she wanted to see my benefits go in and where the money goes...but that must have been a bluff or something as they didnt even ask to see them.........I had a big thick file for her to look at, but all she did was take my passport number ( I assume to check if I am always leaving the country as the informant had claimed...HaHa what a joke, I had one weeks holiday in Spain last year) and read the Dr's letter.

They jump on the most tinyest of comments and even expressions on your face, take a moment to think about the question and how you are going to answer it ...I didnt as much as I should have, but thankfully my son knew what I was trying to say and explained to her what I meant... If you can take a someone with you, even if its just a friend.

Once again thanks for all your support :)

Hi.

I am also glad that this nasty business is over for you. I think that the DWP & etc should not allow anyone to make anonymous allegations. If they had to stand up in a court of law & stand by their allegations, they would think twice about making them! Think of the amount of time/money wasted & the stresses caused as a result of nasty untrue fraud reporting to the DWP. I bet that 90% is malicious & unfounded. These false reporters should be charged & made to repay money wasted on false benefit fraud investigations.

Hi Pinkribbon...totally agree. whilst I appreciate they have a obligation to look into these allegations and that some are justified...like you say, if they are unfounded /malicious they should be held resonsable in some way.

The DWP wont do anything though, as the complience officer said herself, it keeps them in a job. They spout off about tax payers money paying our benefits...what about the same money being used to pay her wages :mad:

Saw my Rheumatology consultant yesterday, i told her about it......she was horrified not to mention very angry that these people take the word of a malicious joe bloggs over the word of a medical doctor first, it would save time and money if they sent a letter to the doctors and consultants first, get their facts right before they put a disabled person through the trauma, she said the stress of it could, in many cases, only contribute to the illness. (My GP is blaiming all this on my current crohnes flare up)

As for attending a gym she said in periods where my pain is under control its the best thing I can do to help my joints and excellent for my wellbeing. She told me to ignore them and carry on living my life.

If it isn't the end of it and they decide to put me through a medical it will be good to have her on my side...I wouldnt like to be on the receivers end of her wrath :D