• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Sheriff puts Bank of Scotland to proof on bank charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4109 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

just wish me luck.

TheyrCriminals

I do wish you luck, god knows we all need it!

Just a word of caution: Remember that if you had gone to a solicitor 5 yrs ago with the "penalties" argument, most would have patted you on the head patronisingly and told you to leave the law to them as you didn't know wat you were talking about... It took a tiny, tiny handful of believers to get things off the ground, and the banks' running scared to show they were on the right track.

I don't believe the banks intend to make the same mistake twice. They thought that by settling quietly, they would silence the few claimants, instead, the knowlege spread and spread. This time, I firmly believe they will throw everything they can at the 1st LIPs putting their heads over the parapet to try and finish this before it gets a chance to start. :-(

Either way, the best of any nationality luck you wish for. :-)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Basically the banks said earlier that the charges covered costs incurred by them, and they didn't make a dime in profit. Now it turns out they make billions in profit from charges and it's their core business, but they still can't give us a breakdown of how much it costs. As an example say it costs them £1.50, on £12 thats 700% profit. Thats excessive. I can't think of any other industry where you could get away with that. If the supermarkets increased a pint of milk by 700% the OFT would be all over them, this is pretty much the same.
But that's the thing, if it is part of their core business, then they don't have to give us a breakdown. They can increase it by however much they want, and I am sorry to disagree, but the OFT can't do anything about it, the SC judgment has made sure of that. Profits margins, however obscene, are not unlawful, indeed they are necessary for any business, and as we keep on being reminded, banks are a business, not a charity. The disreputable way in which that business mechanism functions, well, that's really the crux of the matter now... In other words, you can't contest the amount they charge, only the mechanism through which these charges occur. If the mechanism is unfair, then even a smaller amount would be unfair, and the mechanism is fair, then they can charge whatever they want. In some ways, this has opened a bigger can of worms, as if the mechanism is found to be faulty, it's the whole banking system which will need changing, and that would be a lot more far-reaching tham a "simple" lowering of the charges and/or rewriting of the T&Cs. It's the difference between valeting a car and having to change its engine if you will. ;-)

Basically the banks said earlier that the charges covered costs incurred by them, and they didn't make a dime in profit. Now it turns out they make billions in profit from charges and it's their core business, but they still can't give us a breakdown of how much it costs. As an example say it costs them £1.50, on £12 thats 700% profit. Thats excessive. I can't think of any other industry where you could get away with that. If the supermarkets increased a pint of milk by 700% the OFT would be all over them, this is pretty much the same.

It was revealed a couple of weeks ago that some Civil Servants are receiving far more thatn the PM in wages...Guess what ....yes you guessed it the Chief Executive of the OFT John Fingleton is way out in front on well over £200,000.

I feel that he feels that he hasn't got the 'Moral Authority' to hunt down greedy bankers and banks in general...what a palava!

m2ae:evil:

The Supreme Court, left the door open and they only looked at in a narrow review. That says a lot, not as black and white as some think.

But that's the thing, if it is part of their core business, then they don't have to give us a breakdown. They can increase it by however much they want, and I am sorry to disagree, but the OFT can't do anything about it, the SC judgment has made sure of that. Profits margins, however obscene, are not unlawful, indeed they are necessary for any business, and as we keep on being reminded, banks are a business, not a charity. The disreputable way in which that business mechanism functions, well, that's really the crux of the matter now... In other words, you can't contest the amount they charge, only the mechanism through which these charges occur. If the mechanism is unfair, then even a smaller amount would be unfair, and the mechanism is fair, then they can charge whatever they want. In some ways, this has opened a bigger can of worms, as if the mechanism is found to be faulty, it's the whole banking system which will need changing, and that would be a lot more far-reaching tham a "simple" lowering of the charges and/or rewriting of the T&Cs. It's the difference between valeting a car and having to change its engine if you will. ;-)

Pretty much what we expected. Thank you bert:)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Ok, hands up who's confused.

This is necessary because the banks defence to a s.140A Consumer Credit Act (CCA) claim is to argue that the banking contract was not a regulated credit agreement. The banks are also arguing that claims cannot go back before 6 April 2007.

*Bookie, hand up first*

How can they be unregulated?

And why on earth april 2007???

Answers on the back of RBS T&Cs, please. :-?

How can they be unregulated?

Well, GLC sort of answer it in the next paragraph

Accordingly, if we can persuade the court that these lines of defence are irrelevant and wrong in law, this would leave claims to be determined on the facts as regards the unfair relationship test and the level of unfairness and consumer detriment.

And why on earth april 2007???

3 years limitation in Scotland?

....and it's Bank of Scotland, not RBS.;)

Els

Well, GLC sort of answer it in the next paragraph

You don't mean "basically, the bank is throwing all kinds of crap at the case hoping some of it will stick"?

3 years limitation in Scotland?
5, not 3, so can't be that.

....and it's Bank of Scotland, not RBS.;)
Woops. :oops:... Och well... Different name, same crap. :razz:

Sounds quite positive to me.

Bank tried to move it from small claims hoping the claimant would cry off, Govan said no problem they can get legal aid anyway :D

IMHO the banks defence arguments look like complete nonsense, as Govan say irrelevant and wrong in law.

I would say its looking good.

First Direct, £4031 Recovered

Halifax, £953 Recovered

MBNA Credit Card, £120 Recovered

American Express, £160 Recovered

Coming Soon......

Blackpool Council, £190 in unlawful parking tickets

Carstoppers. £50 from the cowboy clampers

Not sure I agree.

the banks defence to a s.140A Consumer Credit Act (CCA) claim is to argue that the banking contract was not a regulated credit agreement.
They may have a point here. Bank charges are part of a current account agreement or contract. The question here is whether such agreements come under the remit of the CCA. Personal Current Accounts aren't fixed sum, running credit or hire agreements. It may be argued that where an overdraft facility is provided, that portion of it may come under the CCA as a running credit type agreement but does that make the whole bank account agreement under the CCA?

Worth exploring isn't it?

The matrix is intrinsically flawed. Within it is the program for it's own destruction. If you are reading this, you are in the matrix and it's days are numbered...so watch out! :eek:

Not sure I agree.

They may have a point here. Bank charges are part of a current account agreement or contract. The question here is whether such agreements come under the remit of the CCA. Personal Current Accounts aren't fixed sum, running credit or hire agreements. It may be argued that where an overdraft facility is provided, that portion of it may come under the CCA as a running credit type agreement but does that make the whole bank account agreement under the CCA?

Four points:

1. I have had letters about my overdraft where the Bank say they have had to write to me because of CCA 1974. :confused:

2. These unfair/illegal/exhorbitant/extortionate charges are related to the OVERDRAFT part of the account - not a monthly (or daily £1, £2 or £5) charge like HBOS now make instead. :mad:

3. The bank's letter used to say "to cover our costs" when inmposing the £35 charges. If they were making a profit from these charges at that time - then that was a lie - i.e. FRAUD. :mad::mad:

4. They are truly despicable and all deserve to be JAILED (or is that GAOLED in UK?). :mad::mad::mad:

I have over £10k in bank charges and associated o/d interest going back to 1995 that I am desperate to reclaim.

I HATE THE LOT OF THEM. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

BD

PS - I'm a tad annoyed right now - but I think I'm hiding it well.:rolleyes:

Four points:

1. I have had letters about my overdraft where the Bank say they have had to write to me because of CCA 1974. :confused:

Well that makes it easier in your case, they obviously can't use that plea for you then!

2. These unfair/illegal/exhorbitant/extortionate charges are related to the OVERDRAFT part of the account - not a monthly (or daily £1, £2 or £5) charge like HBOS now make instead. :mad:

Not always, what about bounced Cheques, Direct debits or Standing Orders

3. The bank's letter used to say "to cover our costs" when inmposing the £35 charges. If they were making a profit from these charges at that time - then that was a lie - i.e. FRAUD. :mad::mad:

Great. You can probably use this in a 1-2-1 UTCCR argument!

4. They are truly despicable and all deserve to be JAILED (or is that GAOLED in UK?). :mad::mad::mad:

You don't say :p

I have over £10k in bank charges and associated o/d interest going back to 1995 that I am desperate to reclaim.

Bring it on big boy:cool:

I HATE THE LOT OF THEM. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Steady. Stay on track and please try not to let this take over your life.

BD

PS - I'm a tad annoyed right now - but I think I'm hiding it well.:rolleyes:

hmmmm, your post has more 'Mad' smilies than I've seen in a long time...

:p

The matrix is intrinsically flawed. Within it is the program for it's own destruction. If you are reading this, you are in the matrix and it's days are numbered...so watch out! :eek:

by bustthematrix: It may be argued that where an overdraftlink3.gif facility is provided, that portion of it may come under the CCA as a running credit type agreement but does that make the whole bank account agreement under the CCA?

I'd say it's worth exploring as the charges were applied because the Overdraft limit was breached ...... surely it can be argued that that's the regulated part of the agreement ... ?:)

Just a thought ......

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D