Debt in UK, living in Spain - setting CCJs aside

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5203 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

Joined today....what a wonderful forum!

We have been living in Spain since August 2004, and have Spanish residency. We have debts in the UK and would like advice on how to find out exactly what we owe? I will list what I can remember (just in case it makes a difference WHO we owe)

1) Lloyds TSB overdraft - 3,000 GBP

2) Lloyds credit card - 6,000 GBP

3) Business overdraft - 2,000 GBP

4) Jewsons Merchants - 1,000 GBP

Before anyone tells me I´m an awful person for leaving these debts, I´ll list what we did pay! Lol.

1) Sold our house and paid off the mortgage

2) Business loan of 10,000 GBP

3) VAT in excess of 18,000 GBP

4) Outstanding payments to sub-contractors (after all, wasn´t their fault that we were knocked for 78,000 GBP!)

I´ve never received any correspondence by letter or telephone since living in Spain for any of the above that´s outstanding.

We have bank accounts in Spain and had a mortgage, although paid off as we have since sold the house. I´ve renewed our British passports from here too.

Could anyone advise as to how I can find out exactly what we owe please?

Thanking you in advance.

Wow! That was quick!

I tried to do an experian check, but as I don´t have a UK address and haven´t had one for nearly 6 years I couldn´t get a report. Is there a way of obtaining one without UK address? I did put in our previous address in the UK.......without any joy.:?

If you have not made payment or written acknowledgement to any of these a/cs for a period of six years they will be Statute Barred and no enforcement can be taken by the creditor.

If any of your creditors have obtained a CCJ against you whilst you were out of the UK you can apply to have it set aside as a CCJ can only be taken out against a UK resident.

Thank you so much for super quick replies.

Would checking as to whether or not we have CCJs against us be as beneficial as trying to obtain an Experian Report (or equivalent)?

I´ll check for the CCJs anyway though.

Kind regards.

The chances are that they have registered defaults on your credit file, but they only last six years and then drop off automatically anyway. Personally I wouldn't bother checking because if they are not Statute Barred now they soon will be.

The main thing is to check that there are no CCJs because if there are they must be set aside otherwise under EU Reciprocal Agreements if your creditors discover where you are, in theory they could chase you in Spain. Although that would be unlikely given the amounts you owe.

As I've said, your debts are either Statute Barred now or very nearly so in which case the creditors won't be able to do anything. ;)

Hi there,

Have checked for CCJs.....and there are 2 for my husband. 1 for 6,273 and another for 3,865 GBP. It doesn´t say for who though? Just his name, court name, case no, amount and date, which by the way are 17/05/05 and 04/01/05. How do I find out which creditors they are from please? Shall I do the same thing for myself too?

Thanks so much for your help.

I have done the same for myself.....there is 1 for 4,108 GBP:(

What´s the next step? Mine is dated 25/08/05. Exactly 1 year after leaving the UK!

So glad that I found this forum.

Next step is a donation.....seeing as I have my debit card out! Turning into an expensive evening. Lol.

It's a bit quiet in this forum just now, the night owls haven't come online yet. I've asked the other mods to take a look and advise the protocol for getting these set aside.

Have a good nights sleep & don't worry, by the time these are set aside the debts will be Statute Barred and the creditors will not be able to take any legal enforcement action. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks everyone!

Can you recommend someone who would be willing to have these 3 CCJs set aside for me please? Perhaps a quote for doing it might be in order first though!

By the way....had a great night´s sleep! Sharing a problem when you feel completely isolated is empowering to say the least. Keep up the good work.

Ah, are you doing this from Spain ?

Sorry, not able to help with any recommendations.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I really dont know the answer to your question. Will flag your thread for advice.

BCOBS

Right, well you will have to instruct a solicitor if you want to do it from Spain.. have pm'd you.

BCOBS