• Tweets

• Sunak actually nailed it in his boring speech yesterday  Starmers only offering is vote to be depressed  Just about sums up lefties  Humourless and Depresive🤣
    • Ah ok I will see if we receive it in the post tomorrow before I go to work. We want to see theirs so we know what documents they will list ? If their N265 is not received then best to send ours so that we do not miss the claimants deadline as per their draft directions.  What would happen if we did miss the deadline even by 1 day ? The claimant would use it against us in court ?  I scanned and posted in #159 the claimants continuation sheet attached to the N244 where they give a background of the case and reference e-mails etc. After this I will continue to work on the WS which is also causing me anxiety. This will also be used to object to their SJ application. I will advise tomorrow if anything else is received.  
    • Last September our 2019 plate Motorhome went to Brownhills of Newark for its annual habitation check/service. Whilst on there site for the day one of their drivers managed to drive it into a lamp post and put a 2m long scratch down the side of the body. They didn't own up to the damage, but luckily we noticed it before leaving the site, at which point the admitted fault and said they would fix it in house rather than go through the insurance. As they are an authorised Motor home repairer etc we agreed to this and a time frame of 3 weeks was given for the repair, which was booked in for late November. It could not be booked in sooner for the repair as we had a weekends away etc booked with the vehicle until mid November.  3 weeks, and a simple re-spray has now evolved to 18 weeks of them having the vehicle, due to the spray job having to be done 3 times, a window seal not been re-fitted correctly, leading to rain water pouring into the van and the replacement decals been applied wrong twice & having to be re-ordered from Elddis who originally built the camper. We finally got the vehicle back in late April, still minus 1 of the decals.   Back in March we had an email from Brownhills asking what compensation we would accept due to the delays in returning the vehicle to us (They have had it for 18 weeks instead of the initial 3 weeks which was agreed). Once we finally got the vehicle back we told them what we expected (Basically the value that the camper has depreciated by in the extra 15 weeks they have had it and which time we were unable to use it). They are now refusing to honour any compensation and are only offering us a free service for when this is due in September.   Legally where do we stand?  Obviously we are not taking it back to them for a service, given that last time they managed to crash it and its taken so long for them to make such a simple repair. We are considering legal action, but are not really sure under what grounds/legislation we could claim. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    • Usual alarmist tripe from the Guardian exposed🤣     Many of the ‘Climate Experts’ Surveyed by the Guardian in Recent Propaganda Blitz Turn Out to be Emotionally-Unstable Hysterics – The Daily Sceptic DAILYSCEPTIC.ORG Last week, the Guardian published a survey of 383 'climate experts' and – shock – many of them turned out to be... The Guardian last week published its survey of ‘climate experts’. The results are a predictable mush of fire-and-brimstone predictions and emotional incontinence. This stunt may have convinced those already aligned to the newspaper’s ideological agenda to redouble their characteristically shrill rhetoric, but encouraging scientists to speculate and emote about the future of the planet looks like an act of political desperation, not scientific communication.
    • Thanks all. Just by way of an update, I've emailed the supplemental WS to both the court and UKPC on Sunday evening.   Had the following autoreply from UKPC, so not sure if anyone would look at it before Thu, is it worth calling them to see if they have received it? Dear Sir/Madam, Thank you for your email. Please be advised that we aim to respond within 28 days. Please note that we cannot accept appeals against parking charges via this inbox and the opportunity to appeal this parking charge has expired. Many Thanks, Litigation Team UK Parking Control Ltd  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

series3 v MBNA/Optima

Series3
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4141 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'll do it a.m.

thanks for your help it is very much appreciated.

just checking but would it have to be in on the 24th Feb?

the claim was dated 22 Jan..

thanks again snooper

If my advice helped you please click my star

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How long do you have to file the required responses to a claim?

Counting from the date of issue -

Acknowledgement of Service:

5 Days (service) + 14 Days = 19 Days. (An Acknowledgement of Service gives 14 days extra from the date of service to file a defencelink8.gif).

So, the AOS must be done by 10th February

Defence, after filing Acknowledgement of Service:

5 + 14 + 14 = 33 Days in total.

Therefore your defence must be submitted by 24th February, as you have correctly calculated.....I'd err on the safe side though and get it submitted a bit earlier. ;)

Thanks again.

I received a letter from Optima this morning

It says.they received my cpr31.14 and they have asked their clients (MBNA)

It also said they may not be able to get then within the time (7 days)

then, last line.

In any instance our file is to remain on hold until all documents have been provided.

What do they mean "on hold"?

I take it I'll have to file an embarrassed defense to court if I don't get the documents in time..

I have read it, over and over.

now, at this stage, do I try to get the court to enforce an order compelling them to give me the documents relating to cpr31.14?

or.

wait and see, file a defense and then in the defense tell the court I have had not received the documentation I asked for.

I don't want to mess up with the timing.

I have read the thread but I am no wiser as with when I ask the court for a compliance order.

does that sound right.

I'm also asking if I'm doing this right.

You need to ask the Court for a Compliance order now.

The Courts are tiring of seeing embarrassed defences as it is clogging up the system.

As you can see from what pt2537 has written, you are taking control of the situation by submitting an application for CPR 31.14 compliance and will put Restons on the back foot............it will show them that they have to put up or shut up; i.e. discontinue.

If you wish to submit an "embarrassed" or holding defence then this allows Restons to dictate terms and drags the case on and on.

You will have also noted that if there is no Agreement then there is no case to defend; you then apply for a strike out of the case.....and claim your costs.

• 2 weeks later...

Today..I got these from Optima..

they came with a copy of the latest terms and conditions..

personal data removed.

this is front and back of my cca....

th_70187_mbna_cca_front_122_175lo.JPGth_70204_ccatandc_122_1069lo.jpg

I need to get a defense to court by the 24th February.

To me it looks just like an application. I doubt that anything was on the back but I can't be sure.

what do you think?

and why have they not sent terms and conditions that were from 2001?

Edited by Series3
Page two deleted.... Personal details visible from fron of doc.

I actually remember filling this form in when I went to the RL Cup match at Twickers...I got a free hat....

I have noticed that where I sign..It does say to read section 11 0f the T & C's...

the ones on the back are on about not charging interest for 5 months ..

clearly not anything to do with this Application.

any help?

Oh dear, what have Optima sent you ?

If you look at the date codes on the two scans at the bottom right hand side.

In the first scan it reads DP-01-01-319-M

The second scan reads 12-00 and is a typical MBNA tear off agreement which doesn't fit a Virgin Agreement.

Have a look at this link and you'll see why - http://consumeractiongroup.co.uk/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/609-mbna-agreementsapplication-forms

I don't see any tear-off perforations on the first scan.

Edited by supasnooper
correction

it is an mbna card, not virgin...

I filled the form out at the entrance to a rugby match.

There were no terms and conditions.

thanks for looking.

I am going to need a little help with a defense. It has to be done and in by Tuesday/Wednesday.no Agreement then there is no case to defend; you then apply for a strike out of the case"?

would I be right in thinking what you said earlier "

Hiya, I haven't got any advice for you but just wanted to say that I am in exactly the same boat with MBNA/Optima and ironically the same time scales! They also issued my CCJ on 22nd Jan and I have to file my defence by 24th Feb. Like you despite reading lots of the threads I'm still a bit bewildered as to what to put in my defence. I haven't received a copy of my CCA yet despite sending off a CPR31.14 and previous to that a CCA request. My thread is here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/245171-mbna-optima-legal-court-2.html#post2780807 if you would like to have a look.

Good luck with everything and if I find out anymore I'll let you know.....

Onwards and upwards!!:)

thanks, I have seen that thread and I'll re-read it.

I'm sure we'll get some advice (hope so)

If you look further back, this is what they sent after my cpr 31:14 request.

it took longer than the 7 days but...

I'm still waiting for the SAR from mbna.

I said earlier that I remembered when I filled it in, bit of a rush job. Outside the ground, all because of a free hat. lol.

anyone else any ideas about my defense please?

I need to let them know it's not a CCA, just an application for a CC.

Would it be an embarrassed defense, to see what comes back for the SAR?

Or should I go for a strike out because the lack of an enforceable CCA?

thanks in advance.

Series3

I'd say its unenforcable as it stands.......... but theres no accounting for the judge on the day (if it gets to a hearing stage).

Build up as much data as you can on any other discrepancies with the way your account was terminated, always best to have a second line of defence just in case

Gez

the "terms" they have copied to the back of the application have NO default charges.

they also have an APR of 15% or something like that.

I was only paying around 7% for a long time..(until they got mad at me.)

they started by dropping my credit limit by £9.500

then again by £5.800.....to £2.200. thus adding £12 overlimit charges.

I will check through my statements in the morning.

Has this any relevance to my defense?

I really would like to shove this one up them, just because the way they became aggressive at the first instance.

Have another read of your DN, refers to term 8 of your agreement......me thinks not :rolleyes:

That gives you 2 documents referring to terms in a 3rd (which carries the PT's) which has no relevance to either.

You really need to double check all the details of your case and refer each to the relevant CCA section to ensure you don't get caught out with a simple mistake.

You mention they have been reducing available credit over a period of time, assume you now have default arrears noted on the DN at the difference between current balance and credit limit?

The agreement really shouldnt pass any inspection but if you get a creditor friendly DJ you never know.

Gez

Right, had another look at your CCA attachments and....... unless they've become proficient at photoshopping ghosted images together there may be a slight issue.

I had a play around on photoshop to see if I could improve the resolution and pick out any other details and I can read all of your personal info on the reversed image.

I still think they've overlayed the front to reverse and bodged something together but you'll have an argument on your hands to rebutt their position.

I've seen this on several other threads and condition/term 11 always seems to come up as not being on the reverse.

May be worth jumping into some other threads (check for Won in the search tab) to see how they went about getting a discontinuance or strike out on this basis.

Would also think about taking your attachments down and rescanning with the reversed image top section covered.

Gez

the scans are what optima sent. It was one page printed on both sides.

I'm sure the they put them on one sheet of paper to make believe that's where they belong.

the paper is just standard printer paper, so quite thin.

I'll re-scan and cover the front.

I can read most of the terms and conditions on the back apart from the interest and apr bits, they are blurred...

I have a couple of days to get a defense sorted so no great rush.

I doubt there is a thread on here that I haven't read. Some are sooooo long.

I know what I need to get across but putting it int words is another thing.

all your comments are appreciated