series3 v MBNA/Optima

Series3
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4120 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If it covers everything you need to say then that is fine. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello S3!

1. I xxxxxxxxx of xxxxxxxxxxxxx am the Defendant in this action and make the following statement as my initial Defence to the Claim made by xxxxxxxxxxxx

2. Except where otherwise mentioned in this Defence, I neither admit nor deny any allegation made in the Claimant's Particulars of Claim and put the Claimant to strict proof thereof.

3. On 5th November 2009, the Defendant made a formal request including the statutory fee payable (“the request”) to the Claimant under Section 78(1) Consumer Credit Act 1974, which states:

(1) The creditor under a regulated agreement for running-account credit, within the prescribed period after receiving a request in writing to that effect from the debtor and payment of a fee of £1, shall give the debtor a copy of the executed agreement (if any) and of any other document referred to in it, together with a statement signed by or on behalf of the creditor showing, according to the information to which it is practicable for him to refer,—

(a) the state of the account, and

(b) the amount, if any, currently payable under the agreement by the debtor to the creditor, and

© the amounts and due dates of any payments which, if the debtor does not draw further on the account, will later become payable under the agreement by the debtor to the creditor.

The Consumer Credit (Prescribed Periods for Giving Information) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1569) determines that the creditor must comply with the request within 12 working days of receipt of the request;

Section 78(6) Consumer Credit Act (1974) determines the consequences of failure to comply with the request, and states:

(6) If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1) -

(a) he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement

(the Offence bit no longer applies).

4. No Agreement was supplied. The Defendant therefore adds that the Claimant failed to fully comply with the request and was therefore in default of its obligations under s78(1) Consumer Credit Act (1974). Once in default, the Claimant thereafter was constrained via Section 78(6) for as long as the default continued.

5. It is brought to the attention of the Court that the Claimant had no right of action until such time as the Section 78(1) default was remedied. Furthermore, demanding early payment of sums not otherwise due, represents enforcement and termination of the Agreement, neither of which are permitted whilst constrained via Section 78(6).

6. However, after receiving a copy of an Application for a Credit Card from the Claimant under CPR 31.14, the Defendant readily admits signing an Application with the Claimant on 28/04/2001. However, the Defendant denies that this simple Application was ever capable of becoming a Regulated Credit Card Agreement, for the simple reason that it was not compliant with Section 61(1)(a) of the Act.

7. Therefore the Defendant puts the Claimant to strict proof of production of a properly executed Regulated Credit Card Agreement compliant with all aspects of the Regulations.

8. The Defendant further adds that the Terms & Conditions breach referred to in the Particulars of Claim bear no relation to the Agreement provided, because there are no clear links between the Agreement and the copy of Terms & Conditions supplied. The Defendant therefore respectfully submits that the Terms & Conditions that were given do not correspond to the Agreement and the Claimant is put to strict proof that the Terms & Conditions are the same Terms & Conditions that needed to be contained within the Agreement itself.

9. It is neither admitted nor denied that the Claimant served upon the Defendant a Default Notice pursuant to Section 87(1) of The Act in the prescribed form and compliant with the provisions of Section 88 of the Act. The Claimant is put to strict proof, including proof of postage together with proof of the Class of postage used when sending the Default Notice.

10. Incorporated within the sum demanded by the Claimant are sums claimed for administration fees, late payment fees and similar charges. It is denied (if it be alleged) that the Claimant has incurred any such fees and charges, alternatively that such fees and charges, if incurred, accurately represent sums lost by the Claimant by reason of any breach on the part of the Defendant. Alternatively, the Defendant avers the incorporation of such charges is penal and unenforceable at law, rendering any sums claimed, thus far, highly likely to be grossly inaccurate if the figure given is more than the sum which the giver of the notice is entitled to demand.

11. I respectfully ask the permission of the Court to amend this Defence when the Claimant provides full disclosure of the requested documents.

Statement of Truth

I xxxxxxxxxxx, believe the above statement to be true and factual.

Signed .....................

The bit in purple above is a sneaky quote from...

Woodchester v Swayne & Co [1998] EWCA Civ 1209 (14 July 1998 )

Which should set them up for problems later when you mention that the default sum they demanded in their Default Notice is inaccurate, which will blow s87 for them, especially now that they have terminated the Agreement via a demand for sums not yet due.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

BRW

• Haha 1

Now I am a little confused.

I received a letter from mbna this morning.

a notice of sums in arrears..

jan - £70.xx

feb - £25.xx

If they have issued claim, how can they still be adding?

thanks

series3

anyone any ideas about this one?

funny when these £'s are added to my account it comes to the same amount as the amount claimed in the PoC + the costs of Optima..

or will I be charged more?

why would I get another statement (notice of sum in areas)from them?

series3

If my advice helped you please click my star

Hello S3!

My thoughts would mainly be rude, and allude to MBNA and Optima's parentage!

But under CCA 2006, they are obliged to send out Notices to advise people of various things, so it could be one of those maybe? i.e. confirming earlier charges perhaps?

When you can, I would get a Spreadsheet out, together with all of your Statements, and start banging in the numbers. Don't get bogged down with what every expenditure was, just add them by Date and Amount plus a note to say Expenditure.

Then add all the charges by date.

Then add all the payments you made to them by date.

The aim being to get a picture of what, if anything, is actually owed. If you have had the Card for all of this time, then I bet you may well have paid MBNA back more than you ever spent.

If so, that will give you the upper hand on the moral issues straight away.

I suspect that you will find that what they say you now owe, is actually made up of charges and interest.

The charges you will want back...and there's a thought, why not stick in a Counter-Claim for them? You want all of them back, plus s69 8% County Courts Act 1984 Simple Interest on top. Your spreadsheet will show you how much, and once s69 is added per day for each charge, that will add up to a tidy Counter-Claim against them.

Anyway, the Interest itself is a problem for them if they do not have an enforceable Agreement.

It might help you when you walk into Court to know the true figures behind it all, and you may also see how MBNA have manipulated the Debt over the years, via Credit increases, then charges and Interest increases when they decided you were reaching the end of the line as a Debt Slave for them.

They nearly always ramp things up into orbit as people struggle, so the balance is likely to have shot up towards the end. This is all part of how they do things, so you need to see the numbers for yourself to see how it all came to where it did before Court.

It's a job well worth doing, and it may make you more determined to see these grasping fweckers off.

Cheers,

BRW

Hello S3!

My thoughts would mainly be rude, and allude to MBNA and Optima's parentage!

But under CCA 2006, they are obliged to send out Notices to advise people of various things, so it could be one of those maybe? i.e. confirming earlier charges perhaps?

When you can, I would get a Spreadsheet out, together with all of your Statements, and start banging in the numbers. Don't get bogged down with what every expenditure was, just add them by Date and Amount plus a note to say Expenditure.

Then add all the charges by date.

Then add all the payments you made to them by date.

Also, make a note of the date and size of any Interest Rate changes and, likewise, any Credit Limit changes.

The aim being to get a picture of what, if anything, is actually owed. If you have had the Card for all of this time, then I bet you may well have paid MBNA back more than you ever spent.

If so, that will give you the upper hand on the moral issues straight away.

I suspect that you will find that what they say you now owe, is actually made up of charges and interest.

The charges you will want back...and there's a thought, why not stick in a Counter-Claim for them? You want all of them back, plus s69 8% County Courts Act 1984 Simple Interest on top. Your spreadsheet will show you how much, and once s69 is added per day for each charge, that will add up to a tidy Counter-Claim against them.

Anyway, the Interest itself is a problem for them if they do not have an enforceable Agreement.

It might help you when you walk into Court to know the true figures behind it all, and you may also see how MBNA have manipulated the Debt over the years, via Credit increases, then charges and Interest increases when they decided you were reaching the end of the line as a Debt Slave for them.

They nearly always ramp things up into orbit as people struggle, so the balance is likely to have shot up towards the end. This is all part of how they do things, so you need to see the numbers for yourself to see how it all came to where it did before Court.

It's a job well worth doing, and it may make you more determined to see these grasping fweckers off.

Cheers,

BRW

thanks BRW

seems like a task in itself. I'll get a spreadsheet and start crunching.

all. Been a while sinse I did a spreadsheet but I think I saw some on this site..

thanks again

series3

Hello S3!

will I have to ring and check?

I think if you log in again on-line, you should be able to see where you got to.

I'm no expert on the on-line thingy, but last time I was in there, it seemed to allow you to view the progress of the various stages, AOS, Defence etc.

Cheers,

BRW

• 1 month later...

Update..

I have to get the AQ back to court tomorrow..19th.

Looks pretty straight forward to fill out.

Do I have to send a witness statement back with this?

I'm sorry for being late with this...my step daughter and grandchild are over from USA and were due to fly back on Friday 16 am. Things are a little disrupted here and have had no time to get on-line.

we have managed to get her a flight for Tuesday...well so far, it depends on the dust cloud now.

any help would be great...thanks

series3.

allocation questionnaire.

I need to get it in to court today..I wanted to know if I need to put a witness statement with it or does that come next..

how are you by the way.

Edited by Series3

allocation questionnaire.

I need to get it in to court today..I wanted to know if I need to put a witness statement with it or does that come next..

how are you by the way.

I'm good thanks.... logging on each day to MCOL to see what Optima's next move is. I've not heard from them yet. Knowing my luck that means I'll have a letter waiting for me when I get home this evening!

So is the AQ something instigated because of the case which MBNA have brought against you or is this you reclaiming your charges? :confused:

just the next stage before court..

it's been moved to my local court,I think it's then be allocated a track..

just been on the web and flight has been canceled again..thanks Iceland..:)

means we get to keep grandson a little longer.

This morning I received a copy of their AQ.

In the "other information section" they have ticked yes and intend going for Summary Judgment.

Is there anything I need to do yet or just wait until I get their Witness Statement?

Series3

• 3 months later...

Still trying to grasp this new look...lol, please bare with me.

Last week I received another package from Optima, re a Summary Judgment Application.

th_20792_appforsj2_122_70lo.jpgth_20796_appforsj1_122_229lo.jpg

Along with a Witness statement bellow.

th_21015_ws07_122_406lo.jpgth_21020_ws01_122_418lo.jpgth_21023_ws02_122_6lo.jpg%20th_21026_ws03_122_404lo.jpgth_21029_ws04_122_116lo.jpgth_21032_ws05_122_519lo.jpg%20"]th_21015_ws07_122_406lo.jpgth_21020_ws01_122_418lo.jpgth_21023_ws02_122_6lo.jpg th_21026_ws03_122_404lo.jpgth_21029_ws04_122_116lo.jpgth_21032_ws05_122_519lo.jpg [/url]th_21036_ws06_122_367lo.jpg

sorry for the spam pics.

I need to get a letter to court and optima 7 days before the court date, it's the 20th of this month.

I would like some help to get this Application rejected.

Something like DD did would be nice.

I would like to hear your thoughts and welcome your comments.

I don't care if optima are reading this so you can ask me what you like.

I will be PM-ing one or two of the mods for advice and will be putting

it up here. Hope this will help others with Optima.

series3