Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)Info and discussion thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3905 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There is no way Barclays will release any money, they have too much to loose! Those money grubbers will hold on to it. So the money in other words that ridiculous interest pays out for those pensions more than like. In which case they will find another IT provider no matter what. They want you to pay that interest. It sad but I doubt we will get our money back. If we could organize a protest outside one of their banks then it would raise a eye of the public too. Only problem is most people work and not everyone would be able to attend. But there has to be someway that we can shame and pressure Barclays into releasing the money back to us, and save loss of face?

There's a lot at stake here it's a big IF but if everyone was united against them and took them to court what's our chances of winning.?

They're not above the law and If they get another training provider who's to say same thing won't happen again. I have no confidence in them any more.

Who do they think they are taking all our money and telling us what to do.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Because Barclays Partner Finance is a 'trading' name and Co House no longer keeps records of trading names.

What the Co house list is doing is picking up the 1st Barclays P that comes up.

The company is this:

[/size]

Very simply, Barclays PLC bought the company and gave it a new trading name.

David

Thanks for clearing that up I'm just looking for something to hang on to here

and to be honest I'm really worried

Consumer Direct said as I've had the course for a year then I'm liable to pay for that much but that's all. Lawyer said I can claim from Advent. but have to pay Barclay.

I have lost track of the different advise Consumer direct have given to different people

Clause 13.4.5 In the case of all other Events of Default our liability shall be limited in aggregate to the fee.

Aggregate means the sum of the parts.

In my opinion, no course = no fee.

Barclays of course will have a different view.

David

"No course no fee" then surely consumer direct wouldn't give out duff info. There must be a consumer law that can be used and if Barclays argue about it then we can argue back. I'll phone consumer direct tomorrow see what they say I have a ref no.

What do you guys all think of NITLC's offer to get Comptia A+ students through their exam? They've also apparently approached Barclays to offer to be the new training provider. Any thoughts on this one? :?

I had a look at them I have nothing against them but I'm stressed out with this mess and can't even consider studying at the moment.

Plus if I choose to carry on with this then I'd like to be able to not make the same mistake again and I'd choose a different way of doing this. but I'd like it to be my decision.

I object to being forced onto some training provider that a bank who in my opinion is untrustworthy provides, and is only after making massive profits and doesn't give a hoot for anything but their big fat bonuses

I had a look at them I have nothing against them but I'm stressed out with this mess and can't even consider studying at the moment.

Plus if I choose to carry on with this then I'd like to be able to not make the same mistake again and I'd choose a different way of doing this. but I'd like it to be my decision.

I object to being forced onto some training provider that a bank who in my opinion is untrustworthy provides, and is only after making massive profits and doesn't give a hoot for anything but their big fat bonuses

Clearly nothing could have happened until the administrator was appointed.

Barclays, no doubt, will no be furiously negociating with various providers with one sole aim, to find a provider who gives the cheapest deal so minimising their cost. As you pointed out, they won't give a damn about what you want.

Best chance, if they come up with someone is to look very closely at what's on offer, as it will probably the absolute minimum they think they can get away with.

David

I totally agree! I think we should get our money back or be given some kind of credit note to be able to spend on the training of our choice. I would also like to do things differently now with hindsight, but having effectively paid £1000 for the first two books, I would at least like to pass the Comptia A+ exam ASAP without having to wait for things to happen in bankers time!

NITLC appear to be offering free workshops to replace the one I was planning to do in May which is why I'm wondering if anyone has heard any bad press about them (yeah I'm suspicious now!) My anxiety to do something is also based on possible redundancies happening at my work (non IT job) with the Advent course being my escape plan! :(

Clearly nothing could have happened until the administrator was appointed.

Barclays, no doubt, will no be furiously negociating with various providers with one sole aim, to find a provider who gives the cheapest deal so minimising their cost. As you pointed out, they won't give a damn about what you want.

Best chance, if they come up with someone is to look very closely at what's on offer, as it will probably the absolute minimum they think they can get away with.

David

There's a post at the beginning of this thread from I think an Advent Trainer she listed what to look for in another provider would it be right to bump it up here.

I'd have to look back for it but she mentioned the accolades and I can't remember the other stuff till I look. would anyone object to doing that?

I totally agree! I think we should get our money back or be given some kind of credit note to be able to spend on the training of our choice. I would also like to do things differently now with hindsight, but having effectively paid £1000 for the first two books, I would at least like to pass the Comptia A+ exam ASAP without having to wait for things to happen in bankers time!

NITLC appear to be offering free workshops to replace the one I was planning to do in May which is why I'm wondering if anyone has heard any bad press about them (yeah I'm suspicious now!) My anxiety to do something is also based on possible redundancies happening at my work (non IT job) with the Advent course being my escape plan! :(

It's such a dilemma Gillybee I saw that they had free workshops but you would have to pay for exams to sit. doing it yourself like. Don't know what will happen with Barclays but they seem hell bent on getting another provider.

I think you should be able to have the choice to do what's best for your circumstances

i was wondering if there was a legal amount of time in which bpf have to find a new provider for the course?

i also signed the petition and posted a letter to bpf

I asked Consumer Direct about this and they just said 'within a reasonable time' and that it would be up to a judge to decide what this was.

I'm in the same position as so many people here - my plumbing course is funded by BPF and I want to cancel the loan agreement rather than have Barclays dictate what I do next. I can only see us getting a result if everyone works together on this and keeps the pressure on Barclays. They've got a reputation to think about so if enough people continue to complain about them, surely they'll have to give in eventually.

Hi again, just a quick update. I don't know if someone else has already posted this because it's such a long thread, but i've been looking through my loan agreement and it states, "If you receive unsatisfactory goods or services paid for under this agreement you may have the right to sue the supplier, us or both." It then goes on to say, "If the contract is not fulfilled, perhaps because the supplier has gone out of business, you may still be able to sue us." There is no mention of an alternative training provider.

I'm writing again to BPF with this some more information and after seeking extra advice from Consumer Direct and the Financial Ombudsman Service is also sending a letter of compaint on my behalf. I'll keep you posted on any progress.

Hi all, just spoke to BPF n agian got the same response. I manged to get a letter for freeze on my account. desperately want to get out of this contract..please can anyone tell me what to do next? i don't want to give a chance for BPF and don't want any alternate provider. Here lots of guys are saying about Consumer Direct and the Financial Ombudsman Services to report this problem. Please put the details here so that every one can make a complaint. Also can anyone give me the format for final warning letter for BPF..it's almost a month guyz..still we all are struggling..Thanx in advance.

Letter has arrived at BPF this morning. Will be interesting to see what they reply with.

Recorded Delivery

Barclays Partner Finance

PO Box 3979

Glasgow

Scotland

G51 1YL

Dear Sir/Madam

Account No ************

Consumer Credit Act 1974 (as amended)

Following the recent demise of Advent Computer Training, due in no small part to the withdrawal of funding by your bank, I wish now to cancel the credit agreement I took out with you, for the sum of £5,450 with interest of £5,821.36, totalling £11,271.36, to cover the cost of the course I was to undertake with Advent. The failure by Advent to provide the services to which this credit agreement relates is a breach of contract under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Under section 75 of the said Act, you are jointly and severally liable for the breach of contract that has occurred.

You state in your letter dated 28th January 2010 that you are seeking to transfer all students to alternate courses and to continue on as normal. I have two issues with this; firstly I specifically researched various courses and signed up for the particular course offered by Advent (which I had only just begun), because they guaranteed me a job in the IT sector with one of their IT partners, after I got the first of several qualifications with them; and secondly this is clearly not a normal situation. I am no longer receiving a service so I can’t “continue” on as normal. The situation I am in now has left me with no confidence in distance learning courses, and will not have a bank dictate to me which company I shall learn with as you see fit.

Furthermore, please confirm that no interest or charges will be added to the credit agreement pending resolution of this matter.

I look forward to hearing from you within the next 14 days.

Yours faithfully

• Haha 1

The Student Law Journal: Consumer Credit: Misrepresentation & Negotiations

Hi does anyone think this could apply to us? full page in link above

This means that if the supplier makes representations of fact during negotiations (which the consumer relies on) and they cause her to enter into the agreement then the 1974 Act states that it will be as though the finance company has made the same promises. This means that a consumer has a potential claim to resind the contract (essentially cancelling it) for misrepresentation (subject to her proving there was a statement of fact, which she relied on and then entered into the agreement) or, if she has lost her right to rescind, claim damages for misrepresentation from the the finance company.

A problem with this rule recently surfaced in the case of Black Horse Limited v Langford [2007] EWHC 907. In that case, the supplier sold the goods to a broker. The broker then sold the goods to the finance company, who then let them to the consumer. The Court decided that because the goods had been sold to the finance company by the broker, not the retailer, then Section 56 did not apply and the consumer had no claim against the finance company for the representation.

It is therefore important for any consumer to check whether the retailer is selling the goods to the finance company or to the broker. If the goods are sold to the broker, the consumer will have no claim against the finance company (but may, of course, have a claim against the retailer under a collateral contract).

I am in Newcastle upon tyne. Advent issue is a real setback to me as well. They did not even send me an email to say they had gone under. My friend was adviced by a lady at Barclays Partner Finance to stop her DD. I stopped mine and received the issue-surcharges for none payment and instructions to continue paying. I have just rang the number 01215676104 and the guy took my details. Woooooooooooooooi. What can we do?:twisted:

well, all you'll hear here is put pressure on barclays by letters and question and they also talk about Consumer Direct and Ombudsman. anyway it's like throwing little stones to a giant. Barclays is a powerful institution with lots of money and a tiny amount of them can change many things, and many people. maybe we need on our side someone bigger than Barclays but to do that we must do something else not just stay at home enter here and watch what's happened and the next day go to work, and maybe send a letter, or make a call....I would be available to go on the street for a manifestation which might be worth £6000.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3905 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks