Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)Info and discussion thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3907 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

BPF are seriously testing my patience with the conflict of information. Now after over a week waiting to hear any news from them that alternative training would be provided i had to ring up today and say i've not heard a word from you guys. Apparently if your account is closed or in "archive" you have to specifically request a letter to ensure that training will be provided. Last thursday they said a letter will arrive in the post when infact you have to ring to get one sent out!

Secondly a BPF staff menber on Tues said they would consider a training provider of my own choice. Today they said you'll have to stick to the one BPF will fob us off with. Why can't they read from the same text book?!?

This whole saga is taking me over the brink.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi All!

I received my second letter from BPF this morning, just updating me on what is happening. For all those with an BPF agreement here is what the letter said...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr Barnes

Last week I wrote to advise you that Advent Consulting Ltd have ceased to trade. We are aware that this is very unsettling for you and want to keep you up to date on our progress in sourcing an alternative training provider to help you complete your course.

We are currently speaking to a number of training suppliers. The reason this is taking some time is that we need to ensure that the alternative training we arrange is of the same standard as the training provided by Advent. Rest assured we are doing everything we can to appoint a new provider as soon as possible.

We will contact you straight away, in writing to confirm details of your new training provider.

In the meantime your finance agreement will continue as normal.

We are doing everything we can to resolve this as quickly as possible and thank you for your patience. If however, you have a query on your account, please contact our Customer Services Department on 0844 811 9000.

Yours sincerely

Wilma Thomson

Customer Relations Manager

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know it’s probably nothing much but I'm glad Barclays Partner Finance have sent out an update letter.

Russ

Edited by rbarnes

Letter just arrived from Barclays

Last Week I wrote to advise you advent Consulting had ceased to trade .We are aware that this is very unsettling for you and want to keep you up yo date on our progres in sourcing an alternative training provider to help you complete your course.

We are currently speaking to a nu mber of training suppliers. The reason this is taking some time is that we need to ensure that the alternative training we arrange is of the same standard as the training provided by Advent. Rest assured we are doing everything we can to appoint a new provider as soon as possible.

We will contact you straight away in writing to confirm details of your new training provider. In the meantime yor finance agreement will continue as normal

I'd have been happier if the sent me a letter saying I don't need to hand over £5000 for something I no longer want to be involved in

We are doing everything we can to resolve this as quickly as possible and thank you for your patience. If however, you have a query on your account please contact our customer services depatment on 0844 811 9000

No surprises there then Can anyone find a loophole we can crawl through

• Haha 1

Hi All!

I received my second letter from BPF this morning, just updating me on what is happening. For all those with an BPF agreement here is what the letter said...

Dear Mr Barnes

Last week I wrote to advise you that Advent Consulting Ltd have ceased to trade. We are aware that this is very unsettling for you and want to keep you up to date on our progress in sourcing an alternative training provider to help you complete your course.

We are currently speaking to a number of training suppliers. The reason this is taking some time is that we need to ensure that the alternative training we arrange is of the same standard as the training provided by Advent. Rest assured we are doing everything we can to appoint a new provider as soon as possible.

We will contact you straight away, in writing to confirm details of your new training provider.

We are doing everything we can to resolve this as quickly as possible and thank you for your patience. If however, you have a query on your account, please contact our Customer Services Department on 0844 811 9000.

Yours sincerely

Wilma Thomson

Customer Relations Manager

I know it’s probably nothing much but I'm glad Barclays Partner Finance have sent out an update letter.

Russ

hi all. just spoke to local mp an dhe as well as us is disgusted. he is writing to BPF to try and sort this matter. Look at the first letter you received from BPF(the one with the cooling off period). Read the terms on there about not receiving what you expected from them or other parties. Intresting

just notice back of letter basically if you're not happy contact them if you have a complaint.

they'll try sort it out

If your complaint takes longer to investigate we aim to find a solution within 4 weeks. if we are not able to do so we will always write to you explaining what is happening and when we do expect to sort out your complaint.

if not satisfied you can take complaint to FOS but must contatct barclay first

before doing that you might make use of the Finance and Leasing Associations conciliation scheme to resolve your complaint BPF and Clydesdale Financial Services is a full member of the Finance and Leasing Association and is bound by the code.

I 'm in a rush at the min and on laptop can someone scan back of letter and post

Hi all,

i was out in the town this morning, checked the balance of my account and guess what? Anglo Capitals paid back the last payment which they took off on Monday, but to my opinion this is all they will give me back

Is that your Time of the Essence ( 4 Weeks )

Not seen that, thanks for that.

However it's also the standard timescale to investigate and resolve any compllaint.

So keep paying............please!!!!!

Now doubt they are scrambling to find alternative providers however, these courses have a finite timescale, two years as I recall,(whether they enforced it or not - that's what's in the contract). In my view any significant contraction of that period would constitute a breach.

David

Don't know if there are many in my situation, but i had a "Buy now pay later" agreement with BPF and took out a loan to pay it to avoid getting shafted by the interest after the 12 months (which would've taken the cost from £4,995 to over £10,000). i saved up £2,000 in the BNPL period before getting the loan to cover the rest (cost £4,000 to borrow £3,000 over 32months). I still have £3,200 to pay on the loan and the BNPL period ended at the end of August just passed.

I fully expect not to get a refund of the £1,000 interest being paid...but since the account is considered "closed", i'm somewhat unaware of where i stand in all this mess? Am i to follow the same procedures as the majority of you guys? Some advice would be appreciated.

Ally

I fully expect not to get a refund of the £1,000 interest being paid...but since the account is considered "closed", i'm somewhat unaware of where i stand in all this mess? Am i to follow the same procedures as the majority of you guys? Some advice would be appreciated.

Dosen't matter if your loan is now settled - you took out a debtor-creditor supplier through BPF, who paid the money to Advent.

Under Section 75, Consumer Credit Act 1974, they are jointly liable for the contract along with Advent.

As Advent are no more - BPF are left holding the baby.

David

I still think to me there's been a breach of contract, On the agreement it says......

The Consumer Credit Act 1974 lays down certain requirements for your protection which should have been complied with when this agreement was made. If they were not we cannot enforce this agreement without getting a court order.

The Act also gives you a number of rights:

1)You can settle this agreement at any time by giving notice in writing and paying off the amount you owe under the agreement which may be reduced by a rebate Examples indicating the amount you have to pay appear in the agreement.

2)If you recieved unsatisfactory goods or services paid for under this agreement you may have a right to sue the supplier us or both.

3) If the contract is not fulfilled,perhaps because the supplier has gone out of business, you may be able to sue us.

So if BPF is trying to fulfill the contract and therefore honouring it on behalf of Advent Training Ltd. to prevent it from being in breach legally

How come we are meant to just go along with this as though we have no say in it.

Them that must be Obeyed?

Chemical bomber If you had an agreement with BPF then you're in the same boat (or sinking ship) as a lot of others here just you'll not need to freeze your account as it's closed but what you've paid for either has to continue or be refunded

Edited by Bluedo

I still think to me there's been a breach of contract,

Yes there has by Advent.

I company that has gone closed cannot fulfil it.

As BPF have responsibilty under S75 - they have to fulfil it, or make restitution.

David

Hi all,

I am 48 years old with 5 children from south of England who has fallen in this sh..hole while trying to conquer IT world by becoming MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE and CCNA but now I am in the mess (or at least for time being) as some of you fellas ? Advent IT sales man and Barclays Partner Finance arranged capital of 5950 pound student loan for me within 2 days (of course 1 day interview and next day loan agreement) which I signed in Oct 09 and paying DD from Nov 09 (3 instalments so far). From their end, all I have got so far are 2 books (Introduction to Comp and IT & CompTIA A+Essentials). I don't even know who my tutor or training adviser is and I forgot about 24 hours support which I believe is that didn't even exist. I spoke to BFP in Glasgow requesting them to refund my money or cancel loan agreement (that will be a best option and appropriate for all of Advent students in my opinion) but they advised me that they are looking for alternative training company in order for us to complete our courses. God knows how long it is going to take Barclays to arrange this. No official letter from neither of them except one email from Advent saying that they can not run any more training.

Well, I am a main breadwinner in my family but if something happens like this whan can I do. ''This is a mad world'

I paid most of mine with a credit card(barclays).Sent them a letter stating Section 75 as soon as i got the email off Advent but not heard anything yet.

Does any one know what is happening to us that paid in full?Any one heard of the liquidator yet?

Hi, (same boat) that's that sorted. Now. :!:

When I agreed to pay with Advent I had a man come round my house the next day after I had Stuart on the phone (The Persuasive sales man) Yes we have a name STUART.

I signed my agreement with Barclays on around this date 15th of December,

They must have known they was pulling the plug then!

The chap who came round was tall and overweight in a suit.

He kept telling me '' With all due respect.. like 5x times WTF mate get on with what your really trying to say lol..

Saying: IT'S NOT A RACE!! OK!!! I was like, yeh sure. lol.. Course it aint :p Jesus Christ.

**** is really gunna hit the roof, If I can't get my money back.

Edited by Nail-em-2-The-Wall

I just spoke to Barclays the lady said do not bother writing a letter because you will still be receiving a service so the finance still stands, she also said i have no choice in my training provider. Surely if i signed up with advent and thats who i wanted to do the course with and they are no longer trading then. I should be able to at least get the remainder written off?

I'm doing the MCSE which includes the A+, MCDST and MCSA. I worked out I could have done all 11 exams by buying my own study books and paying for the exams myself for a little over £1,000 which is a fraction of what these companies want. You can buy the manuals at places like Amazon. Just type the exam code into the search box and it will bring up the official microsoft manuals which Advent supplied for £26! Other books such as cram sessions can be bought for £10-£15.

I appreciate you dont get the workshop days although I dont feel I learnt anything new in them, was just useful for doing practical stuff on the PC. You can buy instructional videos online too, just search for MCSE study videos.

I couldn't agree more. I've been on Amazon, Transcender, etc and why pay another bunch of semi-competents to do what we can do ourselves. True, you miss out on workshops - I haven't lost any sleep over that yet - and Advent-style recruitment services (I had to tell my contact 3 times that I'd moved counties) but everything we need is already out there. We obviously already have the motivation to do distance learning, so what is it exactly that we're lacking?

I'd been in touch with MicrosoftUK/OpenIT and JustIT but couldn't bring myself to part with any more cash. I also read on a forum somewhere that the first one is sh**e and just takes your money and forgets about you (where have I experienced that before?). The second one has a much better reputation but is consequently more expensive, although not as much so as Advent R.I.P..

I'd like to set up a forum or another thread for those of us who want to carry on studying using our own resources. I'm going for the MCSE and am currently on 70-270 & 70-290 (I already have A+ & MCDST). We could pool our know-how and get the resources we need at the best possible prices. Then there's exam preparation sessions, either on-line or in person. Just throwing it out there, since most of the discussion so far seems (justifiably) to be about money worries, not the next step in getting qualified.

Any interest in putting our heads together to move forward?

just spoke to Barclays the lady said do not bother writing a letter because you will still be receiving a service so the finance still stands, she also said i have no choice in my training provider. Surely if i signed up with advent and thats who i wanted to do the course with and they are no longer trading then. I should be able to at least get the remainder written off?

Hi and welcome.

Errrrrrr.........no, you are not receiving a service.

They are clearly under instructions to try and keep the money rolling in

but many have in fact, had their account frozen until such time that 'normal' service is resumed', (if ever).

Write to them and insist that they freeze the account in the meantime.

David

hello guys,

I went to CAB 2day regards this matter. She checked entire paperwork which we got frm barclays n advent. Clearly got the advice that we've to write a letter to them explaining about s75 and asking for refund and do a registered post. Thr is nowhr mentioned that they r going to provide alternate training in these kind of situations. In my view, we shouldn't accept any kind of tactics played by this BPF. keep posting ur options guyz..

• Haha 1

hi there

I got annoyed today as I still received no letter from BPF :-x, whilst some of you have two already. I started doing MCSE in march 09 and I'm getting ready to take the second MCDST exam. I rung BPF and requested my account to be frozen as I received a remainder message from them abount my next payment (DD) due to be on 11th. The person on the other side was helpful and I hope she froze my account as she promised (we'll see in due course) and Im supposed to get a confirmation letter.

Again she couldn't say anything new about the ways of resolving the problem, timescales etc.

I'm joining in the club :p

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3907 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks